The Student Room Group

Why are everyone so obsessed on Grammar and spellnig?

The point of language is too get across a idea. You is all understanding me perfectlie now even if i isnt writing properlie. sum ppl online just need to chill out innit
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's called elitism and prescriptivism
Original post by Nayzar
The point of language is too get across an idea. You is all understanding me perfectlie now even if i isnt writing properlie. sum ppl online just need to chill out innit

Write that to your GCSE English lit exam tomorrow morning
Reply 3
God get a mod to fix that damn title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For real someone corrected me because I said 'mom' I wanted to elbow that bitch in the face.
Reply 5
Original post by ODES_PDES
Write that to your GCSE English lit exam tomorrow morning

But that's exactly my point. this aint an english exam its online
They're not having enough sex.
Reply 7
I dunno. Tbh some of the smartest people I know speak in very fragmented and ungrammatical ways online. One good thing about it is that meaning is always precise, but as you say most of the time you can convey your meaning perfectly well and unambiguously without great grammar
Reply 8
*Why is everyone so obsessed with grammar and spelling?
Reply 9
Because if language keeps evolving like this I won't understand what half the people are on about
It's a basic form of judging someone's level of intelligence. I'd be lying if I said I didn't read a post riddled with grammatical flaws and/or spelling errors and thought "Career in the stock room for this one...".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xobeauty
For real someone corrected me because I said 'mom' I wanted to elbow that bitch in the face.
I'm not surprised; "mom" isn't a word.

Maintaining correct spelling and grammar is important because, otherwise, there would be a plethora of incomprehensible dialects within a generation - on the Internet, that is.

I don't see what the problem is with people just writing/speaking properly, other than straight-up laziness. People make all these excuses about what they say still being understandable (to some) in attempts to justify themselves, but in reality they just can't be arsed writing a word out properly.

Also, personally, I find it easier to read when something's written properly. I am dyslexic, and if I see a word that's been transcribed phonetically, I have to stop, deconstruct the letters into their component sounds, and try to decide what actual word best suits the sequence of sounds - taking into account what dialect/accent that person may naturally use. When, however, words are written properly, I recognise them logographically (as most people do).
turn left at the roundabout and it's just past B&Q dear.
I see what you did there - and I applaud you. well played, my chap, well played. jolly good.
title: Why are everyone so obsessed on Grammar and spellnig?

*is
*spelling
*grammar
*with not on
Original post by Nayzar
The point of language is too get across a idea. You is all understanding me perfectlie now even if i isnt writing properlie. sum ppl online just need to chill out innit

LOL!
~Grammar~
"the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t"
Original post by Tootles
I'm not surprised; "mom" isn't a word.

Maintaining correct spelling and grammar is important because, otherwise, there would be a plethora of incomprehensible dialects within a generation - on the Internet, that is.

I don't see what the problem is with people just writing/speaking properly, other than straight-up laziness. People make all these excuses about what they say still being understandable (to some) in attempts to justify themselves, but in reality they just can't be arsed writing a word out properly.

Also, personally, I find it easier to read when something's written properly. I am dyslexic, and if I see a word that's been transcribed phonetically, I have to stop, deconstruct the letters into their component sounds, and try to decide what actual word best suits the sequence of sounds - taking into account what dialect/accent that person may naturally use. When, however, words are written properly, I recognise them logographically (as most people do).

Did you know, all these damn years I had no idea mom isn't the correct way. No ones ever corrected me, even teachers? Wow.
I actually like it when people correct my spelling and grammar but only when they do it politely, some people can be really mean about it.
Reply 19
Original post by xobeauty
Did you know, all these damn years I had no idea mom isn't the correct way to spell. No ones ever corrected me, even teachers? Wow.

It is a word. It is the American spelling

Quick Reply

Latest