The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Economics (New Spec) Unit 2 - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Vilthepill
What I wrote for the 15 marker was that the MPC should be worried about deflation. Firstly I said that inflation is at the lowest it has ever been and said that they should look at using the expansionary MPC because the economy is really close to falling into deflation. Evaluated that by saying that interest rates are already low but inflation is still low, meaning that manipulating interest rates to change inflation is uneffective and they should use quantitative easing instead. Also I mentioned that it is a worrying factor because there are no certain tools which the MPC can use to get out of deflation and mentioned that we can become like Japan. Saying that deflation is bad because people are constantly not going to consume because they will know that prices are always falling they'll keep on waiting till it gets low instead of purchasing now, hence a negative impact on AD occurs

Did you evaluate saying that the deflation may be caused by other factors such as the fall in oil prices meaning production was cheaper which was passed on to consumers as lower prices creating a fall in the overall level of prices?
For the question about how the exchange rates and AD; what reference did you make to extract 1. The only one I could think of was about the oil prices falling...
Original post by harryleavey
Who the hell are you to say this?

Because I've written more exams than you can dream of right now. I'm a pro exam taker at this point and I know the common pitfalls because I went through them myself. Don't take offense.
Did any of you do the IAL ?
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Because I've written more exams than you can dream of right now. I'm a pro exam taker at this point and I know the common pitfalls because I went through them myself. Don't take offense.

Why would I take offence (not 'offense' - maybe you need to take some more English exams)?

Any why would I dream of exams?

You have no right to tell someone @SubZero~ 'that they don't know their work'

Oh, and what makes you a 'pro exam taker'? I have never heard of someone so arrogant before!
Original post by zayn008
Did you evaluate saying that the deflation may be caused by other factors such as the fall in oil prices meaning production was cheaper which was passed on to consumers as lower prices creating a fall in the overall level of prices?

No, I ran out of time to do my last evaluation point because I wanted to have 20 minutes for the last question
For the 20 marker on demand-side policies, do you think you had to specifically relate to policies regarding the financial crisis? I went through the components of Aggregate Demand and listed policies that could have been used, I didn't realise we were supposed to use real world examples as that wasn't on the spec nor was it in any of the past papers?:afraid: Have I completely ballsed that question up?
Original post by DeafeningSilence
For the 20 marker on demand-side policies, do you think you had to specifically relate to policies regarding the financial crisis? I went through the components of Aggregate Demand and listed policies that could have been used, I didn't realise we were supposed to use real world examples as that wasn't on the spec nor was it in any of the past papers?:afraid: Have I completely ballsed that question up?

Yes, it was on the spec, and in the new text/revision books
It wasn't on any past papers because it is a new topic.

Anyway, to acheive high marks, you would be expected to know basic 'economics in the news'. Most people know (especially economics students) about the 2008 financial crisis and the circumstances of government policy which followed.

You will still get most marks for writing appropriate policies and referring to the data.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, it was on the spec, and in the new text/revision books
It wasn't on any past papers because it is a new topic.

You will still get some marks for writing appropriate policies

Oh crap, we were never taught about the actual policies, would the evaluation have to have entered real world context as well? Was feeling so good about the exam now I feel I may as well not have turned up.
now I feel I may as well not have turned up.

Don't say that!

I included real world context in the evaluation also.
Don't worry about it - if you were not taught it, it is not your fault (Although I would therefore have recommended that you did the first 20 mark question instead).

I wasn't taught it either. Although I just applied the theory and said what was done at the time. The extract provided an insight into what policies were used too.
Don't say that!

I included real world context in the evaluation also.
Don't worry about it - if you were not taught it, it is not your fault (Although I would therefore have recommended that you did the first 20 mark question instead).

I wasn't taught it either. Although I just applied the theory and said what was done at the time. The extract provided an insight into what policies were used too.

I didn't realise it was the spec, so I just assumed it was any demand side policies. I did a decrease in income tax- probably should have mentioned VAT instead. Reduction in co-operation tax, lowering the base rate of interest.... I just hoped I picked up enough marks. Absolutely gutted.
I didn't realise it was the spec, so I just assumed it was any demand side policies. I did a decrease in income tax- probably should have mentioned VAT instead. Reduction in co-operation tax, lowering the base rate of interest.... I just hoped I picked up enough marks. Absolutely gutted.

I said:
Monetary:
- reduce base rate
Evaluation: interest rates were in-effective following 2008 due to poor confidence, leading to the introduction of QE e.g Extract A: 0.5%, near deflation...
- QE
Evaluation...
Fiscal:
- Government Spending
Evaluation...
- Reduce Taxes
Evaluation...
Why would I take offence (not 'offense' - maybe you need to take some more English exams)?

Any why would I dream of exams?

You have no right to tell someone @SubZero~ 'that they don't know their work'

Oh, and what makes you a 'pro exam taker'? I have never heard of someone so arrogant before!

Lol you can argue all you want, point out typos to make yourself feel better. I'm just giving helpful advice. The only arrogant one here is you because I've already completed A levels and have top grades and go to a top uni and you think you know better when you're only doing AS exams.
Thanks! I went on to talk about fiscal policy but wasn't too sure whether or not to write about it as monetary policy was the only thing mentioned in the extracts
I said:
Monetary:
- reduce base rate
Evaluation: interest rates were in-effective following 2008 due to poor confidence, leading to the introduction of QE e.g Extract A: 0.5%, near deflation...
- QE
Evaluation...
Fiscal:
- Government Spending
Evaluation...
- Reduce Taxes
Evaluation...

Maybe all hope isn't lost, hopefully they will be kind. Thank you for the clarification!
Mixed feelings about this! First Section was great.
10 marker I talked about decrease in consumption due to less income which reduces AD, In addition I said how it affects AS as it can cause unemployment and reduce the output per worker.
15 marker I talked about monetary policy and how decreasing the interest rates can increase AD which causes inflation, however the government need to be careful as it takes a year to work. Then linked back to the extract and said that they already have low interest rates.
(2nd) 20 marker I talked about Fiscal Policy and briefly touched on Monetary Policy!
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol you can argue all you want, point out typos to make yourself feel better. I'm just giving helpful advice. The only arrogant one here is you because I've already completed A levels and have top grades and go to a top uni and you think you know better when you're only doing AS exams.

I don't see what was helpful about your advice.
I appreciate that you may have processed further through the education system than me (I cannot do anything about my age - not sure how that makes me arrogant though?)
But this gives you no reason to tell people 'how much they know'.

You may be intelligent - but you really ought to brush up on how you communicate with peers - Particularly on an anonymous site such as this, where you do not know how sensitive others may be.

btw: You are not a 'pro exam taker'- You look extremely arrogant in saying this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Pardon me, but what the hell are you doing here? This is a thread for people who took the exam to talk about answers/general exam topics, if you go to a "top uni" as you say you do why watch this thread? I mean, you're obviously not here to give "helpful advice" as you say you are as the only things you've said are "you did badly because you crammed" and "you obviously don't know your stuff". Additionally, how does it feel that you go to a "top uni" and you possess literacy skills that are worse than a 17 year old's?
I don't see what was helpful about your advice.
I appreciate that you may have processed further through the education system than me (I cannot do anything about my age)
But this gives you no reason to tell people 'how much they know'.

You may be intelligent - but you really ought to brush up on how you communicate with peers - Particularly on an anonymous site such as this, where you do not know how sensitive others may be.

btw: You are not a 'pro exam taker'- You look extremely arrogant in saying this.

People have to learn to face facts in order to do better. The only reason people go blank in exams is when they don't know their work very well. You're telling me that of you your work to a T and then you sit and can't remember anything for 1.5+ hours? That doesn't make any sense. You can argue from any angle you want but I'm right.
People have to learn to face facts in order to do better. The only reason people go blank in exams is when they don't know their work very well. You're telling me that of you your work to a T and then you sit and can't remember anything for 1.5+ hours? That doesn't make any sense. You can argue from any angle you want but I'm right.

"I'm right" - The most arrogant comment in all of history.

Can you tell me where these "facts' are coming from? Any scientific proof? Or just some b/s you have churned out?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending