The Student Room Group

Issues with my Reference??

Hi all,

I just received my reference from my previous lecturer, which is great, but there is one paragraph that highlights my difficulties with coursework during college (almost four years ago now). I've definitely come a long way since then and have no problem handing in written work on time any more.

It also claims I had support from all the lecturers and my tutor (I didn't) and that my practical work was a Merit standard (it was a Distinction. Always.) and that I didn't pass the course (I did. I received a Merit Pass Pass in total and have the certificate to prove it). I get the feeling this lecturer (whilst one of my closer friends now) still has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and asking him to change his reference would go down badly, even if I showed him my certificate.

I don't really have the time to wait around for another lecturer to write a new reference, as I'm hoping for September start.

The entire rest of the reference is glowingly good, and even in the negative paragraph, he has noted that it is very apparent I have learned from this and improved.

What should I do? Will I still get in?
Original post by MarsFromSaturn
Hi all,

I just received my reference from my previous lecturer, which is great, but there is one paragraph that highlights my difficulties with coursework during college (almost four years ago now). I've definitely come a long way since then and have no problem handing in written work on time any more.

It also claims I had support from all the lecturers and my tutor (I didn't) and that my practical work was a Merit standard (it was a Distinction. Always.) and that I didn't pass the course (I did. I received a Merit Pass Pass in total and have the certificate to prove it). I get the feeling this lecturer (whilst one of my closer friends now) still has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and asking him to change his reference would go down badly, even if I showed him my certificate.

I don't really have the time to wait around for another lecturer to write a new reference, as I'm hoping for September start.

The entire rest of the reference is glowingly good, and even in the negative paragraph, he has noted that it is very apparent I have learned from this and improved.

What should I do? Will I still get in?

I'd contact him and ask him to remove the incorrect sentence about failing the course. You have to declare all qualifications on your UCAS application, so it could cause some confusion if your referee is saying that you failed a course that the uni knows you have passed.

I would send him a quick email with an attached scan of the certificate, say that you in fact passed the course and that you think he's made a mistake and could he please remove the sentence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending