3 St Andrews
4= Surrey
4= Loughborough (up from 11)
6 Durham
7 Imperial
8 Lancaster
9 Warwick
10 Bath

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2016/may/23/university-league-tables-2017?CMP=fb_gu
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks
cambridge after st andrews for maths

hmm
Reply 3
Original post by StrangeBanana
cambridge after st andrews for maths

hmm

Was previously too.

And they are below Oxford and Imperial for Engineering this year.
Surrey and Loughborough at 4.
Lancaster 8.

All the while, the London School of Economics and UCL are nowhere to be found.

These rankings are pure banter and an utter load of *******s.
Are they having a laugh?

City, 18th. KCL, 42nd. Logic redefined.

What's more annoying is that this clearly manipulative piece of propaganda is going to feature in the next prospectus associated with the institutions with inflated places, like Surrey, Lancaster, City, Falmouth, etc. How can they boast about an accolade that's drenched in utter *******s?
(edited 7 years ago)
Who knew you'd be better off studying Computer Science at Oxford Brookes and Edge Hill University than UCL?

Manchester met, Abertay Dundee over KCL for CS?

lol...
(edited 7 years ago)
What a load of ********. Surrey, Loughborough and Lancaster at least 20 places too high. How LSE and UCL can be regarded as being below somewhere like Lancaster is outrageous.
Reply 8
It's done off student satisfaction mainly so not as ludicrous as you may think
Original post by EconEast
It's done off student satisfaction mainly so not as ludicrous as you may think

Ludicrous because satisfaction depends on your expectations relative to the course/uni, and it's easier to exceed the expectations of a student at a lower quality institution than at a high calibre one with a similar investment.
Original post by Exceptional
Ludicrous because satisfaction depends on your expectations relative to the course/uni, and it's easier to exceed the expectations of a student at a lower quality institution than at a high calibre one with a similar investment.

Agreed, never said it was a good way of ranking universities; I'd stick to the complete university guide table personally.
Reply 11
Original post by Exceptional

And yet the top 2 are Cambridge, Oxford and London Met is 2nd last.
Maths is even more ridiculous - Lancaster 6 (wtf?), Coventry 11, Swansea 13, John Moores 21, Portsmouth & UWE 25, then down to Bristol 32, LSE 39, and KCL 40.

And even further down the rankings at 51, 53, 55 and 60 are Manchester, Southampton, Sheffield, and Liverpool, which aren't fantastic by any means but don't deserve to be lower than the likes of Lancaster, Hertfordshire and Manchester Met.
Original post by stevey396
What a load of ********. Surrey, Loughborough and Lancaster at least 20 places too high. How LSE and UCL can be regarded as being below somewhere like Lancaster is outrageous.

Surrey has been ranked 8th and 11th in the complete university guide... It's hardly 20 places too high. Loughborough is also 7th in the complete university guide... You're basing it purely on prestige, you need to get a grip.
Reply 14
Those who live by the rankings, die by the rankings.

(Any rankings.)
Go Loughborough!!
Reply 16
This is more like a student satisfaction list you'll see on crap sites like Whatuni etc
My only quibble with the Guardian rankings is that they should be explicitly billed as the 'Undergraduate Experience Rankings', which is what they are.

That apart, I think they're fab and do a real service in providing important contextual data, itself to be read and parsed in context, and in keeping universities honest with regard to undergraduate provision, "oh we'd better do something for the bloody kids or we'll drop in the effing Guardian".

It seems likely that the staff at Loughborough are logging into Moodle and that the accommodations office is being prompt in addressing concerns. That's likely more important than that your university is turning out terrific research in cybernetics or pharmacology while you are studying law.
Reply 18
Original post by Mathemagicien
:rofl:

Guardian rankings, seriously guys don't base your uni choices off this

Most people in my sixth form had based their decisions using the Guardian ranking. Sometimes I want to build a wall around them.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Incongruous
Who knew you'd be better off studying Computer Science at Oxford Brookes and Edge Hill University than UCL?

Manchester met, Abertay Dundee over KCL for CS?

lol...

My favourite is The Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts above KCL... I wasn't aware Computer Science was an art at all, let alone a performance one.

Quick Reply