The Student Room Group

How did your English Literature exam go?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nci_X
does anyone have a prediction for the highest mark out of 30 possible for someone whose 2/3 points were not relevant?

also looking for this ^^ though perhaps... 3/3? Bearing in mind I did some really close language analysis :s-smilie:
Original post by DW_0505
Struggled for An Inspector Calls, went for the question with Gerald and Sheila. What points did people put for it?

P1: Gerald and Sheila's engagement is like a business transaction
P2: I think I said something about Gerald's dishonesty, can't remember though!
P3: Sheila changes her political views and Gerald doesn't relationship cannot work without Gerald taking responsibility, she also refuses the ring
Original post by georginarowley
P3: Sheila changes her political views and Gerald doesn't relationship cannot work without Gerald taking responsibility, she also refuses the ring

did nobody do the conflict question! barely anyone on Twitter did and I found it really easy compared to the other one :/
Reply 23
I did Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men. Great questions but I really messed up on timing and had to rush.
Don't think my structure was great for LOTF but apart from that, it was good.
Reply 24
Original post by booksandcats
I did AIC and OMAM and I found answering AIC easier that OMAM. I chose the Gerald and Sheila one. The dreams bit OMAM was good it was just the extract that was slighly hardish:smile:

What sort of points did you put for that, if you can remember?
Reply 25
Original post by georginarowley

Oh wow, I never even thought of it like that. The first point is so good as well! I used the third point you have. And I can't believe I never thought to mention Gerald's dishonesty!
I did foundation tier for the first time today, AIC was "How are Men presented?" And you had to pick 2 characters I picked Mr Birling and The Inspector. OMAM was okay with the extract being about Curley and then you had to talk about violence throughout the novella

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by surina16
other way around for me - loved AIC and spent far too long on it. hated OMAM and had no time to answer it properly - 3 paras on the extract but only 1 for part b :redface:

I did the exact same!! I wrote like 3 pages for AIC and like you only 3 for part a and 1 for part b for OMAM. I don't think the questions themselves were hard just needed more time !! :/
Original post by nci_X
I think that I went off topic and didn't answer the question properly for the TKAMB 'to what extent is Mayella a victim?' can someone just look at my 3 points:
1) Mayella as victim
2) boo radley is also presented as a victim
3) tom robinson is also a victim

I think I read the question as 'to what extent is Mayella the victim in TKAMB?'

does anyone know how much marks go towards answering the question because i think my analysis was decent

I see how 2 and 3 could be avoiding the question but on ther hand, by showing how other victims are portrayed you can draw paralells and use them for comparison - which could show the extent to which Mayella is a victim

So it could work!
I picked Gerald and Sheila's relationship for AIC which was a mistake because I feel like conflict would have been a lot easier.

I knew what I wanted to write but I didn't have much time for AIC and especially OMAM.
Reply 30
Original post by number23
I see how 2 and 3 could be avoiding the question but on ther hand, by showing how other victims are portrayed you can draw paralells and use them for comparison - which could show the extent to which Mayella is a victim

So it could work!

haha this makes me feel better :u: thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by batt_mellamy
also looking for this ^^ though perhaps... 3/3? Bearing in mind I did some really close language analysis :s-smilie:

I looked at the mark scheme for last years unit 1 exam and "response to task" is point 1 for each band in the mark scheme. So depending on the quality of what you have done in terms of the rest of the mark scheme, then I personally think you wouldn't lose lots of marks but I'm not sure on specific marks. However, I am no expert that's just my personal opinion and an examiner could think your work is relevant ! Hope this helps in some way, now reading it I don't think its very useful haha
Original post by DW_0505
What sort of points did you put for that, if you can remember?

AIC- Gerald has more power in the relationship at the start and Sheila is childish and obeys him but towards the end she thinks for herself and she has more power. Their relationship ends up being bitter. Sheila has become much more mature whereas Gerald has stayed the same. etc.
OMAM- I wrote about some bull in part a
part b- 'The American Dream' and how it motivated workers to work harder and I wrote about Crooks knowing that it is all just an illusion and Curley's wife about how dream all come to an end. etc :tongue:
Slim was good from OMAM!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by libertygrace
I looked at the mark scheme for last years unit 1 exam and "response to task" is point 1 for each band in the mark scheme. So depending on the quality of what you have done in terms of the rest of the mark scheme, then I personally think you wouldn't lose lots of marks but I'm not sure on specific marks. However, I am no expert that's just my personal opinion and an examiner could think your work is relevant ! Hope this helps in some way, now reading it I don't think its very useful haha

i failed it and i'm about 90% sure
Reply 35
Original post by jazz_xox_
I loved the sunlight on the grass section but OMAM not so much. i feel like i just analysed low-level words such as giggled and dutifully without being insightful. however, i did talk about the wind disrupting the leaves as they were 'rustling' showing how george and lennie's dream has been disrupted, i was quite proud of this :smile:

which 1 or 2 characters did everyone do for OMAM part B? i did crooks and candy

Ooo perceptive! I did Crooks and Candy too :smile:
Original post by libertygrace
I did the exact same!! I wrote like 3 pages for AIC and like you only 3 for part a and 1 for part b for OMAM. I don't think the questions themselves were hard just needed more time !! :/

ah okay good, I was so worried :biggrin: Yeah the questions weren't bad, but I was really running out of time so the quality of what I wrote was terrible :s-smilie:
If I did OMAM first and AIC second I probably would've done better in OMAM since timing was the main issue :redface:
Reply 37
did nobody do the conflict question! barely anyone on Twitter did and I found it really easy compared to the other one :/

I did the conflict one, although I only had time to write 3 points (upper + middle classes vs working class, older generation vs younger generation and Sheila vs Gerald)
i failed it and i'm about 90% sure

I'm sure you haven't! I felt like that with all the exams I've already done. To be honest, I think by talking to others it makes you feel worse about your own exam if you didn't write what they wrote etc. But that doesn't mean you're wrong! I bet you've done a lot better than you think
Original post by surina16
ah okay good, I was so worried :biggrin: Yeah the questions weren't bad, but I was really running out of time so the quality of what I wrote was terrible :s-smilie:
If I did OMAM first and AIC second I probably would've done better in OMAM since timing was the main issue :redface:

I totally agree!! Hope you do really well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending