The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Could someone verify the answer to June 2009 Question 6ai?
Original post by Exams987
please let us know when you have uploaded the video going though the specification points.

Thanks for your help

Yes sure no problem, other past paper videos are just uploading as well, but I dont see why it wont be up tonight..

Good luck for tomorrow mate.
Reply 42
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Yes sure no problem, other past paper videos are just uploading as well, but I dont see why it wont be up tonight..

Good luck for tomorrow mate.

thanks
Original post by JustDynamite
Could someone verify the answer to June 2009 Question 6ai?

Yes this question is quite a nasty one

For this you can't really tell where the 1 st cycle ends ... but you can work out where 1.5 cycles are over

This occurs after 10 boxes ... which means after 10 divisions ... so 10 x ( 1.5ms - the time base )

Results in 15 ms = 1.5 cycles ... hence dividing both sides by 1.5... gives 1 cycle = 10ms .... so 1 cycle = 0.01 seconds ... hence this is the time period ... so 1 over it gives the frequency

Hence the answer is 1 / 0.01 = 1000 HZ
I do not need help with this question but you can have a go at it if you want ( plus I can produce another AQA style paper if you want to )

Anyway here goes

1) Monochromatic wavelength of a certain light = 5.40 x 10^-7 is shone on a metal surface of work function = 1.40 x 10^-20 ,

A) Calculate the energy of a single photon

B) Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of a photon emitted from the surface of this metal

C) Explain why the electrons emitted have a kinetic energy up to this maximum

D) Calculate the speed of the fastest moving electron

E) Calculate the frequency of the ELECTRONS which are emitted

F) Calculate the time period of the electrons mentioned above.
Yes this question is quite a nasty one

For this you can't really tell where the 1 st cycle ends ... but you can work out where 1.5 cycles are over

This occurs after 10 boxes ... which means after 10 divisions ... so 10 x ( 1.5ms - the time base )

Results in 15 ms = 1.5 cycles ... hence dividing both sides by 1.5... gives 1 cycle = 10ms .... so 1 cycle = 0.01 seconds ... hence this is the time period ... so 1 over it gives the frequency

Hence the answer is 1 / 0.01 = 1000 HZ

Ah that makes sense. Thank you!
Reply 46
I do not need help with this question but you can have a go at it if you want ( plus I can produce another AQA style paper if you want to )

Anyway here goes

1) Monochromatic wavelength of a certain light = 5.40 x 10^-7 is shone on a metal surface of work function = 1.40 x 10^-20 ,

A) Calculate the energy of a single photon

B) Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of a photon emitted from the surface of this metal

C) Explain why the electrons emitted have a kinetic energy up to this maximum

D) Calculate the speed of the fastest moving electron

E) Calculate the frequency of the ELECTRONS which are emitted

F) Calculate the time period of the electrons mentioned above.

what are the likely 6 markers that will come up?

also what experiments should we know ?
what are the likely 6 markers that will come up?

also what experiments should we know ?

I defintley think being only A2 people doing it ( I think anyway )

That it will be a really difficult 6 marker,.... I would expect one either asking about the photoelectric affect and asking about intensity and frequency or wavelength and an experiment to measure the change in the emitted electrons.

Or something to do with positive and negative temperature co - efficents using a thermistor.

However it could be similar to the One in Jan 2010.... which was asking about measuring the resitivity of some putty.. I can explain this one if you cant see it.

But I would look over all of the circuits ... they mentioned potential dividers on the EMPA this year, so I would take a look at Potential divider circuits and what you expect to see in their graphs ( which is really just a basic IV graph )

What do you think ?
Reply 48

That it will be a really difficult 6 marker,.... I would expect one either asking about the photoelectric affect and asking about intensity and frequency or wavelength and an experiment to measure the change in the emitted electrons.

Or something to do with positive and negative temperature co - efficents using a thermistor.

However it could be similar to the One in Jan 2010.... which was asking about measuring the resitivity of some putty.. I can explain this one if you cant see it.

But I would look over all of the circuits ... they mentioned potential dividers on the EMPA this year, so I would take a look at Potential divider circuits and what you expect to see in their graphs ( which is really just a basic IV graph )

What do you think ?

could you please help on the potential dividers section as i dont have much notes it ?
Resit crewww.

I feel good about the particle and quantum phenomena especially after doing it in turning points, last year i pretty much got all my marks in those sections and barely got any on electricity.
(edited 7 years ago)
also another thing whats the grade boundary going to be like since its only people resitting it or will they take an average from the previous years.

What do you think ?

what would an experiment be for the photoelectric effect?
Reply 52
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
what would an experiment be for the photoelectric effect?

i am sure that we dont need an experiment for this, it says it here in the spec

Work function φ, photoelectric equation hf = φ + Ek; the stopping potentialexperiment is not required.
Whats the exchange particle for the SNF?
i am sure that we dont need an experiment for this, it says it here in the spec

Work function φ, photoelectric equation hf = φ + Ek; the stopping potentialexperiment is not required.

good stuff
Reply 55
Original post by jarjarmonkey

gluon
Original post by jarjarmonkey

gluons since the SNF keeps a hold of everything gluons sounds like glue is how i remember
So any thoughts on the 6 marker?
Original post by Nerrad
Guys I was doing Jan 2011 past paper and I'm wondering if there's a mistake here
https://gyazo.com/9b5cd2ac6009e7c149c01cd6fb1f4e67
https://gyazo.com/86a4ea614f8fcb96da223e9f316c1949
For IV) when they convert from MeV to Joules they times it by 1.6x10^-13 but not 1.6x10^-19 ?

Ahahaha, I did the exact same thing today. As soon as my friend told me I felt like a right tit.
could you please help on the potential dividers section as i dont have much notes it ?

A poitential divider is pretty much just two or more resistors in series with each other...

There are two types I have in my notes :

* Temperature sensor circuit - a variable resistor and a then a thermistor in series.... with a voltmeter over the thermistor ... just think of your standard V=IR equations... to be honest you dont really need to see potential dividers as a seperate topic ... just to be aware of what they are ....

* Liight sensor circuit - uses a variable resistor and an LDR in series .... if the light intensity increases the resistance falls ( you dont need to know why but I think it is to do with the photons increasing the number of ions in the circuit hence increasing the flow of charge and thereby reducing resistance)

Though really as I mentioned it just requires you to be aware of basic equations and knowing about thermistors and LDR's really.

Don't worry to much, Just be aware of the circuits I have mentioned.

Good luck for tomorrow !!

Quick Reply

Latest