The Student Room Group

Eddie Izzard talks to you about the EU Referendum! Monday 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexcox98
Hi,

I am currently undecided about which way to vote as I am sure many are. What advice do you have to finding out real unbiased information and facts as this seems to be quite an obstacle.

What is the main reason you want us to stay in the EU? I think the EU does many positive things for the UK economy but the amount that it costs us is quite shocking. On balance do we really get out what we put in?

This is the first time I will be able to vote in anything so i'm conscious to use it wisely.

Cheers.

Alexcox98, I am delighted you are giving this so much thought. You are right, we do put a lot in to Europe but we get so much more back - the access to the single market gives our economy such a boost and help us create jobs back here in Britain.

But for me, it's also about something deeper. It's about deciding we want to work with the rest of the world, reach out open-handed and work together with our neighbours.
Original post by Eddie Izzard
x

Eddie,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to talk to TSR!

Secondly… I'm 17 and I'm unable to vote. Should that automatically mean that young people such as myself play no part in the EU referendum? Is there a role to play or do we sit back and watch? Why should it matter to me?

Spoiler

I agree with you, we are better in than out and we have no chance of making the EU work better if we leave it altogether. The EU isn't perfect - either is the way the UK or any other governmental system is run.

But it's worth doing - what we are trying to do, work across a whole continent, it's an incredibly difficult thing, it's never been done before, and of course it isn't easy but I strong believe it's worth trying.

David Cameron has tried to renegotiate something, it may not be enough for some people but we won't fix it by running away and hiding.

We should praise the Eurogroup for achieving Stage 1 of Unification. The banks in the Eurogroup are now controlled by the ECB and the member states must submit draft National Budgets to the Eurogroup Finance Committee for approval. The Europgroup Finance Committee has a Presient and meets before EU Council Meetings to decide policy and speak with one voice at the Council Meeting.

Stage 2 - political union- begins in 2017. 19 Member States will speak with one voice on the EU Council, controlling the majority of the vote. There are few vetoes and the UK has 8.5% of the votes. How will the UK seriously affect anything when this happens?

We have a 2 speed EU and the UK is about to be totally marginalised with no voice at all. Is that influence?
Hi Eddie!

Nice to speak to you, my question to you is what do you think of the European Union's perceived bureaucracy? Do you think that the EU needs big changes?

Thanks for your time.

Oh, and do you have any advice on taking exams?
Original post by nutz99
Eddie - do you think that, particularly as talks are ongoing between the EU and US over TTIP, the NHS will eventually become privatised. What are your views on this?

I passionately believe in a publicly-run NHS and would fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. It don't believe that is what TTIP will do but we need real assurances this is the case.

Remember, TTIP isn't on the ballot paper on June 23rd, staying in Europe and a stronger economy is.
Original post by okayjosie
as a 15 year old, how does this affect me/ should i be taking an interest in it?

@iEthan

You might not be able to vote Okayjosie but this referendum is all about you - it's your future opportunities which will be threatened if we leave. A stronger economy and a Europe where you work and travel is in your interests. So get on yo your parents and grandparents, aunties and uncles, and everybody you know and get them to vote to stay. You can't vote but you can make a difference.
Original post by gtt2016
Do you think that 16 and 17 year olds should be able to vote in the referendum?

Yes I really do. It's not happened yet but I think it's only a matter of time and I am sure the next time we have a referendum, on whatever, 16-17-year-olds will have a full say.
Original post by Captain Jack
Here's a question: loosely related to the referendum (kinda)... outside of British comedians, what European comedians do you rate? I have to admit I can't think of any that regularly appear on our TV screens, which feels like a wasted opportunity.

There are lots and lots but worth trying out Michael Mittermeier, Yacine Belhousse, Igor Meerson and Francesco de Carlo.
Yes I really do. It's not happened yet but I think it's only a matter of time and I am sure the next time we have a referendum, on whatever, 16-17-year-olds will have a full say.

England is the most densely populated nation in Europe, and one of the most dense populated in the world, how many people do you want to live in this country?
70 million, 100 million, 1 billion?

How many is too many?

Why is it that people such as yourself seemingly want to see the destruction of our nations countryside (you cant have population increase without urban sprawl).
Hi Eddie,

I just wondered if you could clear something up for us all? I personally think the UK is a wealthier country both economically and culturally because of immigration; but would leaving the EU mean we would actually have 'control of our borders'?
Original post by KimKallstrom
When they're not choking them with dumb regulation for the sake of it all the time. Having said that, this is good for big business since these regulations and red tape can often only be navigated by them as they have the money and heads to do it. So SMEs are strangled before they can grow enough to compete with the big boys. It effectively serves as a protection racket.

It's little wonder that big business tends to be pro-EU and SMEs anti.

My question for Eddie is: what did you think of the head of the In campaign's head - the ex M&S chief exac admitting that wages for the low-paid will go up if we leave the EU because we won't get the same amount of cheap labour from the continent competing and driving down the wages?

Everyone knows that the wages for these sorts of jobs get driven down but is this a good thing in the bigger picture since automation is taking over lots of jobs at the moment?

I think Stuart Rose's comments were taken out of context but the fact remains, if we have a weaker economy, and all the experts tell us that's what will happen if we vote to leave, then that will be bad for wages and for jobs.
Original post by Lauren_rose99
Hi Eddie

As someone not extremely well versed in politics, can you help me understand the pros and cons of being in and out of the EU? How do we benefit or suffer because of it? I want to be able to form an opinion with all the facts. Right now, I'm pretty lost on what is for the best. And will the change affect students in anyway? I don't think we can handle taking on more struggle for the sake of our education.

I'm a big fan of yours and have a lot of respect for you. Thanks :h:

You are not the only one Lauren_rose99 who is finding it hard to pick through all of the competing information. I am pretty sure that all of the economic experts think that voting to remain is best for the pound in your pocket and as young people that's pretty important.

But for me this about humanity - about finding ways to live and work with people. For two and a half thousand years Europe fought with each other. For the last 50 years we have lived peacefully and prosperously together and why would we want to give that up.
Reply 112
Eddie, can I first say that I really likes what you had to say on Andrew marr yesterday and think you spoke a lot of sense.

I would like to ask if you belive that the ultimate fate of the EU is to become a single nation, and if that is the case would it really be a bad thing?

Original post by The_Opinion
England is the most densely populated nation in Europe, and one of the most dense populated in the world, how many people do you want to live in this country?
70 million, 100 million, 1 billion?

How many is too many?

Why is it that people such as yourself seemingly want to see the destruction of our nations countryside (you cant have population increase without urban sprawl).

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density
U.K. Is 53rd with 3 EU countries above it...
Eddie what about the Former Bank Of England Governor Sir King? He thinks out is best?

There is not an economic expert in the UK or the world who is seriously suggesting that our economy would better if we left - the Treasury, the CBI, the IMF, Barack Obama, everybody thinks our economy is stronger as part of the EU.

The other side can't even agree on a settled view outside of Brexit. Europe is not perfect, nothing ever is, but I am for a fair Europe that is fair for everyone.

I approach this from more than just an economic point of view but a humanity one - if history shows us anything it's that we human beings can live and work together. We are the United Kingdom, not the disunited kingdom.

That's what we have been trying to do since the war. It's difficult and too bureaucratic buts its absolutely worth fighting for. We can't change a thing from the outside.
Reply 114

The gross contribution in 2015 was £17.8bn but the UK rebate was worth £4.9bn (plus farmers subsidies of £4.4b).

Between 2014-20 we will receive 16,417,082,032eur (about 255euros per person), which is less than we input a year

Poland inputs 3.526b euros a year, but in the same period will receive funding of 82,995,961,607eur ( about 2,262 per person).

(All figures are from the EU website or BBC themselves)

What do you think about this, especially as we have a lack of schools, hospitals and housing which could do with serious funding?
(I remain neutral)
Thanks so much Eddie and for everyone who has submitted questions.

That's all he has time for now, but we'll see if we can get Eddie back on site during his #standupforEurope tour.

SR
Original post by Aph
Eddie, can I first say that I really likes what you had to say on Andrew marr yesterday and think you spoke a lot of sense.

I would like to ask if you belive that the ultimate fate of the EU is to become a single nation, and if that is the case would it really be a bad thing?

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density
U.K. Is 53rd with 3 EU countries above it...

I said "England", please learn how to read.
Reply 117
Original post by The_Opinion
I said "England", please learn how to read.

Yes but people are going all over the uk and it's so often anglocentric people interchange those terms...
Anyway that still leaves Malta with 4 times the density and the Netherlands are pretty much equal so your claim is still wrong.
There are lots of reasons they should vote in, particularly economic ones which will help secure jobs and security which all families want. But most of all, they should vote in for your sake - Europe provides so much opportunity for our young people, the right to travel, to work, helping create the jobs of the future.

Me and so many others have had opportunities from Europe that the generation before never had, I want you to have even more benefits from Europe.

Good luck with your exam.

Thank you Sir! :smile: I will let my parents know and hopefully we will stay in! I appreciate your time, answering my question.
Kind Regards. :h:
Original post by Aph
Yes but people are going all over the uk and it's so often anglocentric people interchange those terms...
Anyway that still leaves Malta with 4 times the density and the Netherlands are pretty much equal so your claim is still wrong.

Brilliant :tongue: (PRSOM)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending