The Student Room Group

Who do you want to win the Austrian election?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Hofer.

Honestly not sure if i'd prefer far right or left, I think the right are less likely to build awful modern architecture though so they get my vote.

Well, if they start killing people, at least they'll live in buildings nice enough not to want to die.
Original post by Mathemagicien
But there's a limit to how discontent you can be in that situation. Would you vote for a character who you have been led to believe is literally Hitler incarnate? Probably not.

Its nothing like what you'd get from hyperinflation, which would reduce all your savings to zilch. That would cause real discontent.

When people are used to year on year comfortable increases in standards if that stops for the best part of a decade or even goes into reverse people aren't going to be pleased. when the current system fails them for years they will lose faith in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd prefer Greens over Hofer , not a fan of the far right.
True, but Europeans aren't used to comfortable year on year increases, Europe has been virtually stagnating for a long time. 1% (GDP) growth is pretty much average. 2% annual growth is now seen as amazing, and something rarely achieved, when 4% used to be relatively commonplace.

You have kinda just agreed with what I was saying...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like Van Der Bellen to win, however It'd be rather interesting to see what would happen if Hofer won, especially as his party is anti-EU.
52% overall? Neither will get that.

The far left - not only the far right - are doing well in many countries, e.g. Spain, Germany, Greece of course, Italy, Sweden. Politics is getting very polarised. Its not only Europe, either. Just look at the US, where you have Trump and Sanders.

If what the other poster said is true, then he can afford to lose the postal vote by 1% and still win, things are looking good I would cautiously say.
I know the green has won, does anybody know how tight or if there is likely to be a recount?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by viddy9
Slight correction: it's Alexander van der Bellen, not Alexander van deer Belen.

I want Dr. Van der Bellen to win, of course. A soft-spoken, polite economics professor with good policies vs a far-right extremist with bad policies? Of course I'd pick the former!

Exit polls, as you say, suggest that the race is very tight. 50.2% for Mr. Hofer and 49.8% for Dr. Van der Bellen. The Presidency is largely a ceremonial role but I'm worried that the far-right could try to change that.

EDIT: Ah, it's now neck-and-neck.

"He is softly spoken “doe-eyed” as one German newspaper described him, and he walks with a stick following a hand-gliding {sic} accident. Oh, and he likes to carry a Glock 9mm pistol with him on the campaign trail. "

Spoiler

:rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
And I acknowledged that.

Postal votes never favour the right wing, though

I hear a man name Adolf Hitler born 1899 is voting Green by postal vote too, as well a little known musician called Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(edited 7 years ago)
der Bellen 2,254,484 (50.35%)
Hofer 2,223,458 (49.65%)

72.7% turnout

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
der Bellen 2,254,484 (50.35%)
Hofer 2,223,458 (49.65%)

72.7% turnout

Posted from TSR Mobile

A relatively high turnout, shows an interesting split within Austria.
Reply 31
The result is too close to give me any real optimism, but it's good to see that the Austrian people made the sensible decision in the end. Professor Van der Bellen will make a good President, I'm sure.
Reply 32
What do you know of VdB that makes you that optimistic, despite the fact he says he will refuse to swear in a right wing government?

I know about the policies that the Green Party in Austria have promoted, I know that Van der Bellen opposes TTIP, and I know from his speeches that he hasn't sneered at people who have concerns about immigration.
Reply 33
Original post by viddy9
Slight correction: it's Alexander van der Bellen, not Alexander van deer Belen.

I want Dr. Van der Bellen to win, of course. A soft-spoken, polite economics professor with good policies vs a far-right extremist with bad policies? Of course I'd pick the former!

Exit polls, as you say, suggest that the race is very tight. 50.2% for Mr. Hofer and 49.8% for Dr. Van der Bellen. The Presidency is largely a ceremonial role but I'm worried that the far-right could try to change that.

EDIT: Ah, it's now neck-and-neck.

Van der Bellen is a crazy ****. Do you know he opendly supports a federalised Europe where Austria would be a county? He openly stated this.

Than one of his buddies with who he loves to take photos is a rapper who emigrated from Iran. The rapper called Austrian *******s. Can you support a candidate who make photos with a person who hate Brits.

of course such things you cannot here on BBC or Guardians since you media wants you to support him.
Reply 34
Also this elections were suspicious. Hoffer was actually leading in actuall votes that were casted. But, than the mail votes were added on which van Bellen got the majority of votes he needed.
Original post by slaven
Also this elections were suspicious. Hoffer was actually leading in actuall votes that were casted. But, than the mail votes were added on which van Bellen got the majority of votes he needed.

It stinks of a stitch-up.
Reply 36
Original post by slaven
Van der Bellen is a crazy ****. Do you know he opendly supports a federalised Europe where Austria would be a county? He openly stated this.

I'm not saying I would agree with everything that the Professor says, but I'm actually fine with a federalised Europe. I hope we do get a federal Europe one day, in fact.

You call Van der Bellen crazy when Hofer is so paranoid that he has to carry a gun with him because of "the immigrants"? Hofer is a nutcase.

Original post by slaven

Original post by Jebedee
It stinks of a stitch-up.

Yes, it must be a conspiracy because the Austrian people didn't vote the way you wanted them to vote. If there were a conspiracy, Hofer wouldn't have been allowed to get so close in the first place.
I haven't really been keeping up with the Austrian political system...
Original post by viddy9

Yes, it must be a conspiracy because the Austrian people didn't vote the way you wanted them to vote. If there were a conspiracy, Hofer wouldn't have been allowed to get so close in the first place.

Or maybe that it was only swayed last minute due to postal votes, which happen to account for 3x more than they did in the previous election. FYI postal votes are the easiest by far to tamper with or to "lose" accidentally on purpose.
Well the establishment has had a message, the people have had enough, they are sending the clear message that they won't tolerate continuing destruction of the environment and have now stuck two fingers up and elected a Green as President.

If the destruction of the environment continues, I predict mass riots across Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending