The Student Room Group

My GRADES are NOT good! :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zXcodeXz
How come ? I'm most likely going to do FM if I get the grade

People even said to me don't do A Level maths. They said further maths is way too hard, much harder than A level maths and A level maths is 10X harder than GCSEs.

They said people drop out etc. so I thought I'm definitely doing maths A level and decided to take the other 2 science A levels too rather than FM as a 4th A level. :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Xenon_
People even said to me don't do A Level maths. They said further maths is way too hard, much harder than A level maths and A level maths is 10X harder than GCSEs.

They said people drop out etc. so I thought I'm definitely doing maths A level and decided to take the other 2 science A levels too. :-)

Oh ok I want to do it because I want to do Physics or Engineering later on. It can also, help with a level maths apparently
Reply 22
Original post by bizzy_penguin
they are VERY good OP :smile: mine were worse so you will be fine

Hi thanks, did you do A levels?
Reply 23
Original post by georginarowley
I think they are pretty good grades, my only concern is science and maths (at my school) are really strict and won't accept anyone onto the course below an A, but if you enjoy science and maths go for it!

Yeah I love them! My sixth forms asks for Cs.
Reply 24
Original post by 11ahf
They're absolutely fine unless your college requires a B in English language. Good luck!:tongue:

Nope they don't require a grade B and really? I was forced to do foundation tier despite achieving near full marks in foundation mock exams. It was totally unfair. :frown:

I can always resit English, right? I believe I could achieve a decent grade in English language if I was to resit at a later date.
Yh dw it's enough to get u to sixth form, but make sure in sixth u revise about 1.5 month early before exam, in the beginning u will find everything easy(but it's not actually)
Reply 26
Original post by zXcodeXz
Oh ok I want to do it because I want to do Physics or Engineering later on. It can also, help with a level maths apparently

Alright. Good luck mate.

I'll do FM depending on my grades, should be able to decide/change my options on enrolment day. :-)

If I do very well in maths I'd consider it. :-)
Reply 27
Original post by Naveed12123
Yh dw it's enough to get u to sixth form, but make sure in sixth u revise about 1.5 month early before exam, in the beginning u will find everything easy(but it's not actually)

Yeah thanks man. I was planning on working hard in sixth form and making sure I understood everything I learnt during that day. :-)
Original post by _Xenon_
Alright. Good luck mate.

I'll do FM depending on my grades, should be able to decide/change my options on enrolment day. :-)

If I do very well in maths I'd consider it. :-)

Ok nice! And good luck ! :smile:
Reply 29
Well the ones you want to continue into A level, you have Bs in which is pretty good. Also try really hard at A level and if you get good A level results, realistically you could get into a mediocre uni. But that's okay, when you start a career, your ambition, determination and drive is actually as if not more important than grades or qualifications.
Reply 30
Original post by RosieCW
Well the ones you want to continue into A level, you have Bs in which is pretty good. Also try really hard at A level and if you get good A level results, realistically you could get into a mediocre uni. But that's okay, when you start a career, your ambition, determination and drive is actually :as if not: more important than grades or qualifications.

Thank you! 😄👍
Reply 31
Original post by _Xenon_
Nope they don't require a grade B and really? I was forced to do foundation tier despite achieving near full marks in foundation mock exams. It was totally unfair. :frown:

I can always resit English, right? I believe I could achieve a decent grade in English language if I was to resit at a later date.

I really don't understand why schools make people sit foundation unless they think they're going to fail higher. Like I had a friend whose school thought she'd be more likely to get a secure C if she sat foundation yet occasionally got Bs taking higher! So unfair.

You could resist English! English language is a really good one to get a high grade in as it's generally favoured by employers and universities, so if you decide to only do three A levels, you could do English language on side for the first part of year 12? And try and get an A or a B in it! It's fairly formulaic, just needs some practice. :tongue:

Further maths - why have you been advised against taking it? Some colleges, however, do have the requirement of an A in maths to take it. But it's just a few more modules, so if you think you'll enjoy it, go for it!:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by 11ahf
I really don't understand why schools make people sit foundation unless they think they're going to fail higher. Like I had a friend whose school thought she'd be more likely to get a secure C if she sat foundation yet occasionally got Bs taking higher! So unfair.

You could resist English! English language is a really good one to get a high grade in as it's generally favoured by employers and universities, so if you decide to only do three A levels, you could do English language on side for the first part of year 12? And try and get an A or a B in it! It's fairly formulaic, just needs some practice. :tongue:

Further maths - why have you been advised against taking it? Some colleges, however, do have the requirement of an A in maths to take it. But it's just a few more modules, so if you think you'll enjoy it, go for it!:smile:

Thanks. That is something I'll consider. :-)

I was told FM is too hard, not sure though. I'll do it if I do well in my GCSE maths, if I'm able to change my options on enrolment day. :-)
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi thanks, did you do A levels?

yes I am - actually restarting them again next year due to poor choice, but since I've had a look around @ entry requirements etc., I've found it really depends on the college or sixth form you want to go to. what do you want to do when your older? sixth forms mostly require @ least 3 b'c & 2 c's at 5 A* - C (you've met that criteria :biggrin:), sixth form's usually ask for a B on the subject you want to take especially if its a facilitating subject. to do A level maths sixth forms usually ask for A/A* but may accept a B, FE colleges will ask for B or above, STEM subjects are also usually B or above, design subjects will usually require a portfolio, or sometimes a pass, but isn't usually required, essay subjects like geography & history, usually a B needed to study @ a level at sixth form but at a college no previous knowledge is needed apart from 5 A* - C.

since having a further look into universities, many Russelll groups and a few others require a B in english language & maths, and other relevant grades. for Oxbridge though you'll need higher grades especially for medicine, but science & engineering courses can also be accessed through btec's which are also very well regarded, like btec engineering which sometimes prepares students better than a levels would due to practical experiences.
Reply 34
Original post by bizzy_penguin
yes I am - actually restarting them again next year due to poor choice, but since I've had a look around @ entry requirements etc., I've found it really depends on the college or sixth form you want to go to. what do you want to do when your older? sixth forms mostly require @ least 3 b'c & 2 c's at 5 A* - C (you've met that criteria :biggrin:), sixth form's usually ask for a B on the subject you want to take especially if its a facilitating subject. to do A level maths sixth forms usually ask for A/A* but may accept a B, FE colleges will ask for B or above, STEM subjects are also usually B or above, design subjects will usually require a portfolio, or sometimes a pass, but isn't usually required, essay subjects like geography & history, usually a B needed to study @ a level at sixth form but at a college no previous knowledge is needed apart from 5 A* - C.

since having a further look into universities, many Russelll groups and a few others require a B in english language & maths, and other relevant grades. for Oxbridge though you'll need higher grades especially for medicine, but science & engineering courses can also be accessed through btec's which are also very well regarded, like btec engineering which sometimes prepares students better than a levels would due to practical experiences.

Thank you! I'm not sure what I want to do yet tbh. I want to do a chemistry or physics degree though. :-)

Any advice? :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by _Xenon_
Thanks. That is something I'll consider. :-)

I was told FM is too hard, not sure though. I'll do it if I do well in my GCSE maths, if I'm able to change my options on enrolment day. :-)

If you get an A at GCSE maths and it's something you enjoy, I'd definitely consider taking it. A lot of people take it for a few weeks to try it, and then drop it if they feel out of their depth, just to see whether it's something they could do, so you could definitely do that! :tongue:

Edit: Ooh, and by the way, if you want to try your hand at a stepping stone (because GCSE maths is easy in comparison) try looking at an FMSQ (add maths) paper or an AQA level 2 further maths paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kk1999
Xenon...Don worry..You have got a minimum of 5 Cs at GCSE.
About your A levels...go for what u wish, what u r interested in..
Shrug of that stress..thats ur thinking that im stressed..im a loser etc.. thats a chatter box in your brain thats givin u all these negative thoughts.. just say "shut up..who r u to decide my future?" think about Bill Gates..
if you have time check this link..it will help you a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWUCX6osgM

contact me anytime for assistance..:h:

While I agree with the comment and applaud your attempt to make the OP feel better, do you seriously believe Bill Gates struggled with his GCSEs? He left Harvard because it wasn't challenging him enough
Reply 37
Original post by 11ahf
If you get an A at GCSE maths and it's something you enjoy, I'd definitely consider taking it. A lot of people take it for a few weeks to try it, and then drop it if they feel out of their depth, just to see whether it's something they could do, so you could definitely do that! :tongue:

Edit: Ooh, and by the way, if you want to try your hand at a stepping stone (because GCSE maths is easy in comparison) try looking at an FMSQ (add maths) paper or an AQA level 2 further maths paper.

OK will do that thanks! :-)

Is there a link or I'll search for it. :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
While I agree with the comment and applaud your attempt to make the OP feel better, do you seriously believe Bill Gates struggled with his GCSEs? He left Harvard because it wasn't challenging him enough

Is that dude even British?! Thought he was American. 😐
Original post by _Xenon_
Thank you! I'm not sure what I want to do yet tbh. I want to do a chemistry or physics degree though. :-)

Any advice? :smile:

I think you will be fine because you have B grades which are really good :smile:, which meets pretty much most universities, if you wanted to at a later data could resit your gcse's if you really wanted to go to oxbridge but I don't know about that process, and also gcses are changing too. B grades WILL get you onto science courses, perhaps have a look around on the National Careers Service which is useful - here's the link:

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

just type in the career or job you may be perusing and it will give you some good guidance :smile: also have a look at some universities & go to open days/evenings at sixth forms and colleges and talk to the students there who will help you to make your decision :biggrin: do you have any brothers/sisters/family relatives/friends who could help guide you further? they would be able to offer some good advise on which qualifications they took etc, I found when I was in year 11 loads of people were asking teachers what a levels / qualifications they did :smile: good luck

Quick Reply

Latest