The Student Room Group

AQA Certificate (iGCSE) in English Literature - Monday 23rd May 2016 [OFFICIAL] Threa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1jonam16
I know where most quotes are, realistically you only need like 1 for each character apart from the protagonists themselves. Themes are a bit more dodgy and more difficult I think, but I hope either, time, or love come up, hopefully not light vs dark.

Do you know what can be said about time??? I don't know anything about this theme :/ Praying love comes out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
What did people put for the unseen poetry question?

I wrote about how the narrator seems to want the fox to shed it's natural instinct and inter instead interact with her.

However, quite a few people at school seem to have wrote about prostitution (or at least thought of it) and explicitly said that the fox was a reference to a man (I did a brief sentence on how it could be an allusion to a male human lover).

For reference, this is the poem:

Lady and Fox, by Beatrice Garland

You, dog fox, dancer in the dark,
snapper-up of unconsidered trifles,
don’t look at me like that.

You’re curling your lip at me, moon-hunter,
backing away needle-toothed,
winged ears flattening against the bone.

Stop fretting about those sleeping pigeons
and hold my gaze. You’re a handsome beast
for a city dweller: could turn a lady into fox.

I want to grab you, mouse-catcher,
in your marvellously-tailored brocade,
dig my fingers into your furred lapels

and hold on tight for a rough ride.
And we could join forces, bone-cruncher:
I’d cook up those chickens for the two of us.

So show me the foxtrot, rats’ bane,
and I’ll teach you the slow waltz.
Before you disappear into the dark

let’s go out on the razzle
you in your carnival mask,
me in my red fox fur.

For anyone who didn't take the test, the question was something along the lines of "What does the narrator feel about the fox and how does she convey these feelings to the reader" (I have a feeling there was a bit more to it)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
I thought she skinned it and made it into a coat! :tongue:
Am I the only one who found it so hard?! because i swear mostly the people in my year found both sections easy????
Original post by puffy2295
Am I the only one who found it so hard?! because i swear mostly the people in my year found both sections easy????

I thought it was fairly easy but reading everyone's answers to the questions on both sections has made me doubt hugely that I did nearly as well as I thought I did initially. Hm, I guess I'll have to wait a month or two to find out how shitty it went. Which book did you do?
What do people think the grade boundaries could be?
Original post by Nicolegxxxx
What do people think the grade boundaries could be?

Generally, they're around 53/75 for an A*... Quite low tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anxiousbunny
I thought it was fairly easy but reading everyone's answers to the questions on both sections has made me doubt hugely that I did nearly as well as I thought I did initially. Hm, I guess I'll have to wait a month or two to find out how shitty it went. Which book did you do?

I did a view from the bridge. It idk why but the poem was so confusing to discypher>_<
Reply 48
I did a view from the bridge. It idk why but the poem was so confusing to discypher>_<

Did you do question 2 or 3?
Original post by a987

I thought question 2 - about the woman would be easy but like I kinda ran out of time to explain stuff T^T You?
Original post by a987

I did question 2 - about the woman. I thought it would be easy but like I kinda ran out of time to explain stuff T^T You?
Reply 51
I did question 2 - about the woman. I thought it would be easy but like I kinda ran out of time to explain stuff T^T You?

Yeah I did question 2, what points did you include? I needed more time too I had to rush my last paragraph and do it in 5 mins
Original post by a987
Yeah I did question 2, what points did you include? I needed more time too I had to rush my last paragraph and do it in 5 mins

yh I didn't get time to do my conclusion but for my points I did how Beatrice represents traditional womanhood, how Catherine represents traditional womanhood, and how regardless of their standpoint they both suggest femininity is founded on sexuality and that there cannot be any progress in gender equality until this stops.
Original post by a987

TBH, I had to rush my points as well >_< Cause I ran out of time T_T Anyways I included how Catherine in the beginning was depend on Eddie until rodolpho came she began to mature and make decisions for herself. Then for Beatrice, I just put how she's loyal to her husband and how Eddie is really dominant within Catherine and Beatrice. I was gonna include stuff on Beatrice about caring for the welfare of others etc but I ran out of time :-((((
Reply 54
TBH, I had to rush my points as well >_< Cause I ran out of time T_T Anyways I included how Catherine in the beginning was depend on Eddie until rodolpho came she began to mature and make decisions for herself. Then for Beatrice, I just put how she's loyal to her husband and how Eddie is really dominant within Catherine and Beatrice. I was gonna include stuff on Beatrice about caring for the welfare of others etc but I ran out of time :-((((

Ahh i forgot to write about catherines dependency 😣😣 thats a good point! I spoke about how Catherine is presented as naive and it doesnt occur to her that Rodolfo could be using her just for citizenship..idk if thats a valid point tho..Also about beatrice being a typical housewife and about eddies opinion on catherines job offer
Original post by a987
Ahh i forgot to write about catherines dependency 😣😣 thats a good point! I spoke about how Catherine is presented as naive and it doesnt occur to her that Rodolfo could be using her just for citizenship..idk if thats a valid point tho..Also about beatrice being a typical housewife and about eddies opinion on catherines job offer

That seems like a valid point. I just basically said that Miller used Catherine as a way of showing that women should have high ambitions (as she wants to get a job, explore etc.) and she is successful in the end by marrying Rodolpho whereas Beatrice, the typical housewife who is loyal to Eddie and loves him is not happy at the end as he dies so it's like Miller is saying not to be restricted and to think it necessary to be a housewife but instead to aim high. Idk if that's creditable either though...
Anyone do the young men question for R+J? I thought it was a very good question, as it's way more precise than the other "Romeo & Juliet's love was violent and destructive" question which was rather vague to me.

It was weird though, as I didn't mention Juliet's name once throughout the whole essay :tongue: I also didn't have to write about the ending which is good because I'm way stronger with the first few acts than the last ones.

Also CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE BESTIALITY POEM
Original post by george_c00per
Anyone do the young men question for R+J? I thought it was a very good question, as it's way more precise than the other "Romeo & Juliet's love was violent and destructive" question which was rather vague to me.

It was weird though, as I didn't mention Juliet's name once throughout the whole essay :tongue: I also didn't have to write about the ending which is good because I'm way stronger with the first few acts than the last ones.

Also CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE BESTIALITY POEM

Same here!!! I reached all the way to Act 3 Scene 1 and stopped haha. And I also didn't bring up Juliet at all - I guess there was nothing really to say about her. If anything, talking about her would be digressing from the main topic which could perhaps mean losing marks. And tbh yeah I didn't know how to go about with the destructive question at all, this one was much more approachable and direct. Hope it went well. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by history fanatic
Same here!!! I reached all the way to Act 3 Scene 1 and stopped haha. And I also didn't bring up Juliet at all - I guess there was nothing really to say about her. If anything, talking about her would be digressing from the main topic which could perhaps mean losing marks. And tbh yeah I didn't know how to go about with the destructive question at all, this one was much more approachable and direct. Hope it went well. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I basically spent 4 of my 5 paragraphs (not including the intro & conclusion) talking about Act 1 Scene 4 and the Queen Mab speech and then a bit on the scene with the ladzzzzzz and the Nurse and Peter. I didn't have any more time and they can't expect me to cover every scene in detail so I hope I don't get marks taken off for only covering two scenes :redface: Haha I was so glad that I didn't have to talk about Juliet, if I even had to mention about how her personality is inconsistent like the moon or whatevs I would've flipped :biggrin: Thanks, I hope yours went well also, mine was better than expected. :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Erythro Wolf
That seems like a valid point. I just basically said that Miller used Catherine as a way of showing that women should have high ambitions (as she wants to get a job, explore etc.) and she is successful in the end by marrying Rodolpho whereas Beatrice, the typical housewife who is loyal to Eddie and loves him is not happy at the end as he dies so it's like Miller is saying not to be restricted and to think it necessary to be a housewife but instead to aim high. Idk if that's creditable either though...

That a good answer. How did you find the poem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending