The Student Room Group

All nighter before an exam?

Scroll to see replies

If you have one or two exams it's completely fine because I've pulled it off, but three is just a little harder :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck for your exams everyone. My last exam is tomorrow and I'm waking up at 6.

Although I've revised before hand...
Probs not the best idea mate, but if you're gonna do it maybe take a power nap ? Also don't drink too much coffee/ energy drinks or it'll cause stomach problems which really won't help the situation lol
I wouldn't say it's worth it. If it's for English literature, then you probably know quotes better than you think, and you will be able to think of them in the exam, as long as you have had sleep.

I'd say you have two good options though. Stay up a bit later and do some good quality revision before sleep, of wake up a couple of hours early and do revision then.

If you have a really good idea of what will come up, then focus most of your revision on that (not all though in case it's wrong).
DONT bother. Just sleep and do how much u can bfre midnight. Then wake up an hour earlier and revise.

Dont do an all nighter, i aint done much revision for OMAM, only flicked though some stuff so just chill.

If u do an all nighter even if u do remember anything then you'll get more pressured into doing good and you'll probs freak out and forget info.
plus you probs have got loads of exams this week so dont be tired for monday otherwise you'll be extrememly tired for the rest of the week.
just spend an hour learning quotes for omam tbh. like if you know what the themes are (not even about them really) you can just kinda bs with the quotes. like there isn't rlly a correct answer so as long as ya know a few you can just wing it really ((aye i have the religion one too but whoops i'm gonna wake up earlier to revise for that)). it sorta depends if your someone who pulls all nighters pretty often, but definitely try to sleep a bit and get like 5 hours
Reply 46
Did u do an all nighter???????
Revision is communist regime.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Revision is communist regime.

LOL. 😄😄
Reply 49
Original post by Himtiaz
Opinions on this. I've done 0 revision!!!

No point. Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise because they have the misguided perception that it helped them.

In fact, it might actually have a negative impact on your performance. If you don't sleep you don't retain information. If you sleep a little, little is retained. If you do an all-nighter you might be so drained, you will not perform at your best.
Original post by Himtiaz
Opinions on this. I've done 0 revision!!!

Do ell us whether you did an all nighter and how you coped.
Reply 51
I did a half all nighter. Went to sleep at 4 at woke up at 8: 30, just in time for the exam :colonhash:
But it failed. I just spewed bulls**t on to the page and none of it made sence when i read back over it despite it being quite an easy question. Also, only answered half of the OMAM Section B.
Then i had RE in which i couldn't remember anything and just wrote Jesus said so, Bible said so, Catechism said so etc.
FAILED SO BADLY

NEVER DO ALL NIGHTERS BEFORE AN EXAM
:frown:
If you fail to prepare. Prepare to fail. :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by _Xenon_
If you fail to prepare. Prepare to fail. :frown:

Two modern texts, 15 poems and 4 units of RE.
What do you expect
Original post by Himtiaz
I did a half all nighter. Went to sleep at 4 at woke up at 8: 30, just in time for the exam :colonhash:
But it failed. I just spewed bulls**t on to the page and none of it made sence when i read back over it despite it being quite an easy question. Also, only answered half of the OMAM Section B.
Then i had RE in which i couldn't remember anything and just wrote Jesus said so, Bible said so, Catechism said so etc.
FAILED SO BADLY

NEVER DO ALL NIGHTERS BEFORE AN EXAM
:frown:

Sorry to hear it. It can work as an all out emergency, but at some stage the amount you learn is not worth the amount of sleep lost. being alert in the exam is more important. the whole sitiation is avoidable. hav a beak and go to bed early tonight, then back at it tomorrow.

You cam retake them if you have to.
Reply 55
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry to hear it. It can work as an all out emergency, but at some stage the amount you learn is not worth the amount of sleep lost. being alert in the exam is more important. the whole sitiation is avoidable. hav a beak and go to bed early tonight, then back at it tomorrow.

You cam retake them if you have to.

I did late nights for science tests and they worked fine, but english needs mental capability
Original post by Himtiaz
Two modern texts, 15 poems and 4 units of RE.
What do you expect

Yeah that must have been really stressful.

Don't worry though. You've probably done much better than you think.

I only wrote 3 and a half pages if that helps so I'm likely to have done very badly, considering they give me 16 pages.

Good luck in the rest of your exams and don't stress. :-)
Original post by Himtiaz
I did late nights for science tests and they worked fine, but english needs mental capability

Think about it if you have to retake.
I think sleep is much more important than knowledge when it comes to English, because you don't actually need much specific knowledge for English. You just need to have the technique down, which you definitely can't do in one night. So you just need to be awake and focused, so that you can fully apply your skill in writing.

Quick Reply