The Student Room Group

How is ATP produced and used in living organisms?

Can someone explain what I need to know about ATP in simple terms as I'm struggling to understand it.
ATP The Basics :smile:
1. Stands for Adenosine Triphosphate
2. Universal Energy within cells
3. Nucleotide with three phosphates which are they key to it providing its energy. The bonds between the phosphate are unstable and therefore have a low activation energy which means that they can easily be broken and energy is released.
4. Usually only the terminal phosphate in humans that is broken down to produce ADP(Through hydrolysis)
5. Produce in humans by converting ADP back into ATP through adding a phosphate group in a condensation reaction.
6. Structure
7. Not very good at long term storage of energy unlike lipids as it is unstable and is therefore an immediate energy source, so cells don't store ATP just maintain a few seconds worth.
8. Releases less than a glucose molecule (more manageable)
9. Made within the mitochondria
10. Used in metabolic reactions to build polypeptides and in active transport.
Anything else i missed just ask :smile:
Original post by ASNinja98
ATP The Basics :smile:
1. Stands for Adenosine Triphosphate
2. Universal Energy within cells
3. Nucleotide with three phosphates which are they key to it providing its energy. The bonds between the phosphate are unstable and therefore have a low activation energy which means that they can easily be broken and energy is released.
4. Usually only the terminal phosphate in humans that is broken down to produce ADP(Through hydrolysis)
5. Produce in humans by converting ADP back into ATP through adding a phosphate group in a condensation reaction.
6. Structure
7. Not very good at long term storage of energy unlike lipids as it is unstable and is therefore an immediate energy source, so cells don't store ATP just maintain a few seconds worth.
8. Releases less than a glucose molecule (more manageable)
9. Made within the mitochondria
10. Used in metabolic reactions to build polypeptides and in active transport.
Anything else i missed just ask :smile:

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending