The Student Room Group

AQA AS Design and Technology: Product Design (3D) Unit 1 Exam

Just done this exam this morning, what does everyone think about it? Hard or easy? Let me know :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It wasn't too bad. I wasn't expecting the spinning process and the compression moulding process but oh well. The first few questions were easy but the kettle question kind of confused me :frown: what answers did you have for the main questions?
Reply 2
Original post by sebnagy22
It wasn't too bad. I wasn't expecting the spinning process and the compression moulding process but oh well. The first few questions were easy but the kettle question kind of confused me :frown: what answers did you have for the main questions?

Yeah it wasnt bad for me, those multiple choice questions were easy but yeah it was hard to think of things to critically evaluate the features of the kettle but i put like to add thermochromic pigments and TPE for extra grip.
Original post by Gloverliam21
Yeah it wasnt bad for me, those multiple choice questions were easy but yeah it was hard to think of things to critically evaluate the features of the kettle but i put like to add thermochromic pigments and TPE for extra grip.

That's exactly what I mentioned in that question haha.
Reply 4
The kettle question was quite difficult. I think i may have put the wrong material, I put aluminium instead of stainless steel
Original post by NMistry98
The kettle question was quite difficult. I think i may have put the wrong material, I put aluminium instead of stainless steel

I was going to put aluminium. But I think if you put down the right properties for the metal you should be fine.

What ergonomic and safety features did you say for the kettle?

I could literally only think of the shape of the handle, grip and the use of smart materials to indicate temperature :/
Reply 6
i put that and also the distance of the handle from the metal body was very short, so the hand could have been burnt, but i may be wrong.
I did exactly what you guys have put and also mentioned that there should be a button to automatically open the lid because in one of the pictures the person was opening the kettle with his hand. i also mentioned using a light to indicate the kettle is in use so children nearby know to stay away from the kettle.
i forgot to mention the TPE but instead i wrote, use a polymer for the handle that has been injection moulded with grooves on the handle to improve the grip, dont know if thats right tho!
Reply 9
Original post by haseeb112233
I did exactly what you guys have put and also mentioned that there should be a button to automatically open the lid because in one of the pictures the person was opening the kettle with his hand. i also mentioned using a light to indicate the kettle is in use so children nearby know to stay away from the kettle.

I evaluated the point of the cut out to open the lid as a positive. I said it would be easy to open because they could get a good grip to open the lid (Ergonomic evaluation). Anyone thinks that sounds correct? But, I guess its an evaluation question so I guess anything could be right if you justify it properly...
Original post by ChrisOR
I evaluated the point of the cut out to open the lid as a positive. I said it would be easy to open because they could get a good grip to open the lid (Ergonomic evaluation). Anyone thinks that sounds correct? But, I guess its an evaluation question so I guess anything could be right if you justify it properly...

That is a good point but the material used for the lid was a polymer and might get hot due to the boiling water inside.
Reply 11
Original post by haseeb112233
That is a good point but the material used for the lid was a polymer and might get hot due to the boiling water inside.

True, very true. However, you don't usually open the lid unless you're about to fill up the kettle or empty it to fill it up with fresh water right? So I guess the kettle wouldn't even be hot when you go to the lid? I hope I din't get that one wrong haha, because it was a big point
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChrisOR
True, very true. However, you don't usually open the lid unless you're about to fill up the kettle or empty it to fill it up with fresh water right? So I guess the kettle wouldn't even be hot when you go to the lid? I hope I din't get that one wrong haha, because it was a big point

You'll be fine, as long as you justified your reasons in detail which sounds like you have done lol
Personally I don't think the paper was too bad but depends on how they mark it and what the boundaries are going to be.
Reply 14
im not sure that writing anything positive about the kettle would get you marks as it mentions critically evaluating it, however i may be wrong. Also who here answered question 6 from section B, as i answered that one too.
Reply 15
Original post by bazbong
im not sure that writing anything positive about the kettle would get you marks as it mentions critically evaluating it, however i may be wrong. Also who here answered question 6 from section B, as i answered that one too.

I'm nearly 100% positive that when you evaluate something you have to weigh up the positives and negatives and give an overall judgement on whether the kettle is safe to use and comfortable to use.
But, I don't know

And question 6...is that the one with Pizza Box and Shampoo Bottle? If so, I answered that one
Reply 16
Thought that was a good paper tbh, the only part i know i lost marks on was spinning as i forgot that a mandrel (or what ever it is called) was used. Certainly better than the other exams i have done
Reply 17
Original post by ChrisOR
I'm nearly 100% positive that when you evaluate something you have to weigh up the positives and negatives and give an overall judgement on whether the kettle is safe to use and comfortable to use.
But, I don't know

And question 6...is that the one with Pizza Box and Shampoo Bottle? If so, I answered that one

Oh maybe, i was about to, but it said to be critical so i only evaluated the negative points. Yeah thats the question, what points did you put down?
Reply 18
Original post by bazbong
Oh maybe, i was about to, but it said to be critical so i only evaluated the negative points. Yeah thats the question, what points did you put down?

Ah fair enough, that sounds correct but I also put a few negatives for each safety and ergonomics so I should be safe anyway.

And for the Shampoo bottle I put stuff like;
- Chemical Resistant
- Flexible - Can be squeezed and returns to its original shape
- Good flow properties for blow moulding - quick process for mass manufacture
- Can be printed on - corresponds with branding of designer
- Lightweight - easy use in a confined space like a shower

and three more but I can't remember what I put and I can't remember the ones I put for the pizza box haha, what did you put?
Reply 19
Original post by ChrisOR
Ah fair enough, that sounds correct but I also put a few negatives for each safety and ergonomics so I should be safe anyway.

And for the Shampoo bottle I put stuff like;
- Chemical Resistant
- Flexible - Can be squeezed and returns to its original shape
- Good flow properties for blow moulding - quick process for mass manufacture
- Can be printed on - corresponds with branding of designer
- Lightweight - easy use in a confined space like a shower

and three more but I can't remember what I put and I can't remember the ones I put for the pizza box haha, what did you put?

I did explain each of these points in the paper but cba to do it again haha sorry.
For shampoo bottle
- chemical resistant
- water resistant
- flexible
- recyclable once used
- can be blow moulded
- high impact so it wont break if dropped? not sure about that one
- coloured granules can be added during the manufacture process to produce coloured bottle
- one more i cant remember
For pizza box
- Lightweight
- Rigid enough to hold pizza
- Can be recycled after use
- Very cheap to produce
- Environmentally friendly
- Can be painted/sprayed
- Can be lazer cut
- and a few more which i can not remember :smile:

Quick Reply