The Student Room Group

Access course with A levels?

Don't know if I have posted this in the right section but basically, I am afraid I wont get the grades into university this year. I have had a last minute change of heart about the course I want to do and so currently would have to go through clearing anyway.
I have done an extra year of sixth form due to having to redo my first year. Even though I already have A levels, would I still be able to do an access course so I can get into uni?
Original post by rosal1385
Don't know if I have posted this in the right section but basically, I am afraid I wont get the grades into university this year. I have had a last minute change of heart about the course I want to do and so currently would have to go through clearing anyway.
I have done an extra year of sixth form due to having to redo my first year. Even though I already have A levels, would I still be able to do an access course so I can get into uni?

There's still time to try ucas extra before having to use clearing :smile:
You might not be able to get the funding, as you'll already have passed a level 3 qualification, best to ask your local colleges.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
There's still time to try ucas extra before having to use clearing :smile:
You might not be able to get the funding, as you'll already have passed a level 3 qualification, best to ask your local colleges.

I accepted my offers before I changed my mind about my course so is it too late to use UCAS Extra? Course I want to do is BBB but I doubt I'll come out with higher than CCC
I accepted my offers before I changed my mind about my course so is it too late to use UCAS Extra? Course I want to do is BBB but I doubt I'll come out with higher than CCC

No its not, you just need to call ucas and ask to be put into ucas extra. have you looked into foundation years as an option?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
No its not, you just need to call ucas and ask to be put into ucas extra. have you looked into foundation years as an option?

Oh right okay! Then do my firm and insurance automatically get declined? Looking at foundation years but they are all really quite a distance away from where I am currently living and I'm not sure I want to move that far
Oh right okay! Then do my firm and insurance automatically get declined? Looking at foundation years but they are all really quite a distance away from where I am currently living and I'm not sure I want to move that far

Yes it should do
I have A levels and a number of other level 3 qualifications and I was still accepted onto an access course so you should be fine. If you choose to do an access course then you'll have to pay for it unless you're in receipt of benefits, I think the average cost for an access course is around £900+.

If you want to be placed into Extra then you need to call your firm and insurance universities not UCAS. If they agree that you can be placed into Extra then they'll let UCAS know and it will happen.

Before you do this though you need to talk to the universities you're considering applying to in Extra to see if they a) still have places b) will consider you and c) can consider you and make a decision before Extra closes.

Quick Reply

Latest