The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BainesyA
I made a point for looking at the names to see if there was any correlation between the name and their view. I think it is a valid point depending on how it was explained. I can see some people going off on a limb with that one, but if kept concise, linked to context, then it seems like a very perceptive point.

It was something I introduced as my third point about a quote so it was very much just an additional few sentences hoping to explore alternate layers of meanings. Luckily it wasn't the focal point of my entire paragraph otherwise I'd be worried! If anything, I think my brain, with the pressure of my Spanish exam tomorrow, has just been incredibly perceptive of anything that even remotely resembles it!
Original post by socialdisaster
Not gonna lie I could have done without the data sheet being bigger than my desk :s-smilie:

Oh my god, this! I was like "what" when I opened it up. Such a pain to use, and I felt like the invigilators were going to pull me up on 'cheating' because I had to keep lifting the paper up to move things around and my highlighting was on display! Awful thing to do, having such a large data sheet. Did it really need to be that big?
Original post by socialdisaster
Not gonna lie I could have done without the data sheet being bigger than my desk :s-smilie:

I know, when it came I was like "Wha da'*** is dis?" :angry:
Original post by BainesyA
I know, when it came I was like "Wha da'*** is dis?" :angry:

At least the paper they used was shiny as fucckkkk
Original post by ChefExxxcellence
At least the paper they used was shiny as fucckkkk

Am I missing the intended sarcasm?

But it was shiny. Mine was folded inside my question paper. so when I opened my question paper I was greeted by seemingly a pop-out picture book, only to find something the size of a pirates map unfold endlessly
Original post by TheTakers
Oh my god, this! I was like "what" when I opened it up. Such a pain to use, and I felt like the invigilators were going to pull me up on 'cheating' because I had to keep lifting the paper up to move things around and my highlighting was on display! Awful thing to do, having such a large data sheet. Did it really need to be that big?

Exactly!! I got so conscious of how much noise I was making every time I had to move it all around to read another sheet. Honestly it could have been half that size and we'd have been better off.
Anybody know when they'll put the paper/mark scheme online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Omg I preferred Text A to Text B, I found there was more to talk about like the complex/compound sentences and humour etc; but I didn't have enough time to complete the last question!! I needed an extra 10/15 mins!!!
Most people have been discussing the exam on Twitter lol, Lizzie keeps asking why people are saying they've failed their AS English Language exam because of her. :laugh:
How did everyone find it then?!!
Original post by harry998
How did everyone find it then?!!

I think I did well, considering I joined the course a month after it started. Except I hope the grade boundaries go way down because it is a tough exam, with no practice material offered.
I wrote how multi clause structures were used to pragmatically represent biking as a complex sport and how it presents the text producer as passionate about Lizzie's life in general. Also how the green colour was neutral so it suggested it was accessible for a wide audience of males and females and for the text B how it was prodominantly blue which inferd a male niche audience. Good points?? Then contextualised back to the purpose or audience and threw cohesion in there where necessary. Also how single clause structures were used to dramatise one of the forums memebership views on health being more of a diet factor- which I then linked back to the purpose of a forum and the ideologys of the genre of it which is to express opinions which may attract readers to use the forum. Any good? Worrying loads
Reply 132
In Text A I mentioned about gender - with the idea that its harder for women athletes to return to the sport ( sub-text) Also the size of the Sheet was stupidly big!
Reply 133
Predictions for paper 2?
And is there a thread for paper 2?
Original post by dmy15
Predictions for paper 2?
And is there a thread for paper 2?

No thread for Paper 2 - sometimes transcripts can be really awful, but on the plus side at least I always do excellently on the opinion article section.
When is Paper 2?
Original post by sdfsdfdfs
When is Paper 2?

8th June
Has anyone got any theorist documents on lang & region + lang & occupation, if so could you please attach them as I can't find any!
Are there only 4 possible topics that can up for section A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 10studentlife
How do people make sure they dont comment on the same things in the comparison to the individual answers? I want a B in this as I'm dropping!

This is what my teacher said you have to do and I guess it does stop you from writing the same thing :

Paragraph 1 : compare the audience and purpose of both texts

Paragraph 2 : Compare these things , are the texts: permanent/ ephemeral? Planned/spontaneous? Low level interactive? High level interactive? Asynchronous / synchronous? Auditory/ visual?

Paragraph 3 : Compare the formality

Quick Reply

Latest