The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm still amazed at the fact Jane's a prostitute and Greg's gay. Can someone actually explain how?
Original post by TracyEmu
WJEC English literature unit 1: Monday 23 May
WJEC English literature unit 2: Friday 27 May
WJEC English language unit 1 & 2 : Tuesday 7 June

For English literature, I am studying Of Mice And Men and unseen poetry, A Christmas Carol and Blood Brothers.
What are your predictions on the Essay questions for 2016? Any tactics for answering the unseen poetry response?

What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

Can't help you with Literatures cause I have of mice and men, an inspector call and heroes. And obviously we've done OMAM.
But for Language, I'm guessing there will be a review question because it hasn't came up on the exam for years. Even my teacher said so. I'm hoping informal letter will come up because o find that easy, I could just pretend to write it to my friend.
I wanna have a friend call Bob.. My class aren't allowed to put Bob or anything silly like that hahah we did this last year and literally everyone put at the end -Bob the builder can you fix it.. So we're banned😹
Did anyone to TKAM and how did you find it?
Original post by nada1427
Did anyone to TKAM and how did you find it?

What was the TKAM extract and two essay questions? I didn't do the exam but I really want to know!
Original post by draculaura
I'm still amazed at the fact Jane's a prostitute and Greg's gay. Can someone actually explain how?

I have no clue either, I wrote about her selling fish and Gary being bad at his job. And I also put that their both shows because it's "Car SHOWroom" and a "cardigan" is what you wear to cover-up but I didn't link to prostitution or him being gay, I literally winged it.
Original post by rainbow drops
What was the TKAM extract and two essay questions? I didn't do the exam but I really want to know!

The extract was about how the relationship between Atticus and Jem was presented. It was during the time when Mrs Dubose died.

The essay question were:
How did Harper Lee use the character of Scout to criticise society?
And what you thought of the title To Kill a Mockingbird?
:smile:
Reply 346

In "the cardigan market" it's inferred by how the fish is described and how men are described as regular visitors to this "market" then in "car showroom" it could be inferred by how he describes 'Greg' as "well-groomed" and how he feels like someone else's voice is coming out of his mouth which could suggest he is hiding something or wanting to say something. It also talks about how 'Greg' meets the speakers wife and seems close. I don't know tho, don't call me out on it though
Original post by SophFlorence
I said he's seen as child-like, which is shown in the quotes: "red, blue and green rabbits" and the fact that he "droned to himself softly when George told him to remain quiet around the boss. I linked this to society in 1930s America because it shows both the struggle of men with disabilities in such a society of violence, and how fantasy-like the American dream is/was.

Then I talked about the fact that he's innocent and vulnerable. For this, I used the quote: "was still smiling with delight in memory of the ranch" in spite of Curley having entered the room. I linked this with society in that it links to Herbert Hoover Smillete posters with the message "smile away the great depression", so maybe Steinbeck is insinuating the idea that society wasn't doing enough to lift America out of the Great Depression.

Finally I mentioned the fact that he's unique, through "I seen your light", when he entered Crooks' room. This could show that he, unlike the other men, is able to see Crooks' inner goodness, as symbolised by "light". However, it could also show how they are equal in terms of social standing, in which case Steinbeck is heavily hinting at just how badly MANY people were treated at the time.

Obviously wrote more than that, but yeah.

How about you?

I wrote about:
Treatment of Mental Illnesses
Child mentality
Crooks
American Dream
The great depression

WOW i never knew about that poster thing. Well done :biggrin:
Original post by nisha.sri
I wrote about:
Treatment of Mental Illnesses
Child mentality
Crooks
American Dream
The great depression

WOW i never knew about that poster thing. Well done :biggrin:

Sounds great! Nice one :biggrin:
Reply 349
Good luck everybody! I hope you get the grade you desire and deserve in English literature. Stay positive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nada1427
The extract was about how the relationship between Atticus and Jem was presented. It was during the time when Mrs Dubose died.

The essay question were:
How did Harper Lee use the character of Scout to criticise society?
And what you thought of the title To Kill a Mockingbird?
:smile:

Thanks so much!
Original post by TracyEmu
Good luck everybody! I hope you get the grade you desire and deserve in English literature. Stay positive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too :smile:
Heroes and Inspector calls predictions people, fire them @ me. Really think explaining how Jane is a prostitute is just a waste of time, what has happened has happened.... End of cannot go back now can we?
For the poems, I said about how the poets were both male; therefore, more able to empathise with Greg as he is also a male. It said something like "He was almost as bad as me" or something along the lines of that in 'Car Showroom' which shows this I think? The male poet in 'In Cardigan Business' is less likely to empathise with her as he is talking about a female, despite the fact she seems to be doing her job perfectly well.
Did anyone else say anything like that?? I do feel that it is a bit stupid haha. I just hope it is plausible and will get me some marks hopefully; I'm hoping to get a C but it ain't looking good :frown:

This is exactly what I want to know, I wrote down nothing of the sort and would like someone to explain how they came to that conclusion. I'm so confused.
Reply 355
Original post by Gamer_44
Didn't this same thing happen last year with City Lilacs and Hews farms (2015). Where people thought the same about prostitution but it was proven to be incorrect?
:colone:

City Lilacs could be interpreted to be about prostitution. I think its the same this year; its just an alternative interpretation. I don't think marks will get deducted for not analysing that side of the poem.
What are the prediction for Blood brothers& LOTF , i know now not to base things on predictions but it still might help😂
Original post by Mayfate
What are the prediction for Blood brothers& LOTF , i know now not to base things on predictions but it still might help😂

Simon and Jack and yet to come up. Roger is unlikely as he came up last year. Sam N Eric could come up but there is little to write about.
Reply 358
Original post by MarshyMan2000
Why u no put slim for any questions WJEC? :frown: Revised so much for him then they hit us with a George extract and Lennie essay question. Please say I wasn't the only one who did Lennie for the essay as no one that I talked to did it

I did Lennie.
AVFTB and LOF predictions?

Quick Reply