The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

what are the usual grade boundaries?
Did quite decent if I'm honest, but here's where my question. WAS THE KETTLE MADE OF ALUMINIUM XD
Original post by AbbieL
Did the same with the first one but my teacher said sometimes they give two answers as the right one, they did it with a similar question a couple of years back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh in that case, fingers crossed!
Original post by Fruitbasket786
Did quite decent if I'm honest, but here's where my question. WAS THE KETTLE MADE OF ALUMINIUM XD

I put stainless steel but i'm sure you could have put aluminium alloy :dontknow:

Personally I put stainless steel, but I think Aluminium is fine too!! They usually have a few options for the material :smile:
Original post by lozengerrrr
Personally I put stainless steel, but I think Aluminium is fine too!! They usually have a few options for the material :smile:

Yeah I was thinking that aswell, that exam was good enough for me. 4 exams to go now!
Yeah I was thinking that aswell, that exam was good enough for me. 4 exams to go now!

Aahaha, I've got my A2's to sit now woooo
Reply 187
Didn't find that too bad, compression moulding was the one process I forgot to look at properly though!
Original post by lozengerrrr
Aahaha, I've got my A2's to sit now woooo

Good luck lovely :hugs: x
Anyine else doing the a2 exam ?
Original post by CoolCavy
Good luck lovely :hugs: x

Thank you!!! x
Original post by Jacobacton
Anyine else doing the a2 exam ?

Yes, exam today went okay, could have been better but now have to try even more for A2. How are you laying out your revision for this, not really sure where to even start?
How did the AS exam go for you? Does anyone know roughly how many marks you need for a C and omg i need an unofficial mark scheme because i think i got a U 😭😭😭😭
Am i missing something here? Why are you on about stainless steel and alluminium. Did anyone take textiles?
Original post by hadiqah
How did the AS exam go for you? Does anyone know roughly how many marks you need for a C and omg i need an unofficial mark scheme because i think i got a U 😭😭😭😭

Last year, it was 50/80, I think this paper was slightly harder so maybe 48 or so out of 80 for a C.
Original post by CheaterHater
Last year, it was 50/80, I think this paper was slightly harder so maybe 48 or so out of 80 for a C.

Wait is this for product design? Do you know about textiles?
This is as much as I can remember and my answers.. Let me know if you got any different.

1. Vinyl Lettering - CNC Plotter Cutter, PLA Prototype - 3D Printer, Drinks Bottle - Blow moulding, Yogurt Pot - Vacuum forming.

2. Alloy is a composite of two or more metals to improve the physical and/or aesthetic properties of the metal.

3. Example of an alloy - stainless steel

4. Use for alloy and reasons why - Kitchen sink because good strength to weight ratio so does not damage when pan thrown into it, tough so resistant to wear and tear when knifes scratch, self-finishing so high quality.. and a couple more I can't remember.

5. Symbols - Wear Eye protection, wear ear protection, corrosive and harmful to environment.

6. ABS and LDPE are thermoplastics. Example, LDPE used for plastic bags because 1.they have good strength to weight ratio so can carry heavy items such as cans but also are not too heavy. 2. they can be printed on/ pigment applied therefore brand of shop can be printed to improve brand awareness.

7. Why HDPE for shampoo bottle - non toxic, strong, tough, light weight, flexible so easy to get out the contents, can be blow moulded and have pigment applied, strong intermolecular bonds so contents do not leak out, chemical resistant (couple more i can't remember now).

8. Why corrugated card for pizza box - contains heat/ insulating, strong and therefore if dropped contents do not damage, lightweight so easy to carry/ transport, can be die cut and tessellated so more environmentally friendly, can have printing on it using offset lithography, can be recycled so more environmentally friendly.. (couple more i can't remember)

9. FSC - Forestry stewardship council (I got this wrong i put Forestry sustainability council) logo used to show consumer that the product has come from sustainable forests and therefore is more environmentally friendly

10. Kettle - material - Stainless steel.

11. ergonomics and safety - handle close to kettle and too wide, lid difficult to open so use switch, switch easy to turn on so should be on the bottom, scale difficult to see as handle in way should be moved to side, safety good as wire on base not on on kettle therefore not near water, light should light up so can see if hot and cold or thermochromic pigment, grip on handle to make easier to grip (again few more i can't remember)

12. spinning process - metal placed onto mandrel and spun at high speed, roller is then used to push over and form to the shape (diagrams drawn)

13. UF socket because - insulating heat and current so safe, can be compression moulded, pigment can be applied, standard components can be fitted, does not melt/ deform as thermosetting plastic (again few more i can't remember)

14. Bad for environment because thermoset so sits in landfills or requires large amount of energy to break down.
Original post by hadiqah
Wait is this for product design? Do you know about textiles?

Yes, this is for Product Design: resistant materials, I don't know about textiles, sorry.
Original post by CheaterHater
Yes, this is for Product Design: resistant materials, I don't know about textiles, sorry.

Thats okay, but does anyone know of a textiles thread?
Original post by hadiqah

Not sure this is perfect

1. Vinyl Lettering - CNC Plotter Cutter, PLA Prototype - 3D Printer, Drinks Bottle - Blow moulding, Yogurt Pot - Vacuum forming.

2. Alloy is a composite of two or more metals to improve the physical and/or aesthetic properties of the metal.

3. Example of an alloy - stainless steel

4. Use for alloy and reasons why - Kitchen sink because good strength to weight ratio so does not damage when pan thrown into it, tough so resistant to wear and tear when knifes scratch, self-finishing so high quality.. and a couple more I can't remember.

5. Symbols - Wear Eye protection, wear ear protection, corrosive and harmful to environment.

6. ABS and LDPE are thermoplastics. Example, LDPE used for plastic bags because 1.they have good strength to weight ratio so can carry heavy items such as cans but also are not too heavy. 2. they can be printed on/ pigment applied therefore brand of shop can be printed to improve brand awareness.

7. Why HDPE for shampoo bottle - non toxic, strong, tough, light weight, flexible so easy to get out the contents, can be blow moulded and have pigment applied, strong intermolecular bonds so contents do not leak out, chemical resistant (couple more i can't remember now).

8. Why corrugated card for pizza box - contains heat/ insulating, strong and therefore if dropped contents do not damage, lightweight so easy to carry/ transport, can be die cut and tessellated so more environmentally friendly, can have printing on it using offset lithography, can be recycled so more environmentally friendly.. (couple more i can't remember)

9. FSC - Forestry stewardship council (I got this wrong i put Forestry sustainability council) logo used to show consumer that the product has come from sustainable forests and therefore is more environmentally friendly 10. Kettle - material - Stainless steel.

11. ergonomics and safety - handle close to kettle and too wide, lid difficult to open so use switch, switch easy to turn on so should be on the bottom, scale difficult to see as handle in way should be moved to side, safety good as wire on base not on on kettle therefore not near water, light should light up so can see if hot and cold or thermochromic pigment, grip on handle to make easier to grip (again few more i can't remember)

12. spinning process - metal placed onto mandrel and spun at high speed, roller is then used to push over and form to the shape (diagrams drawn)

13. UF socket because - insulating heat and current so safe, can be compression moulded, pigment can be applied, standard components can be fitted, does not melt/ deform as thermosetting plastic (again few more i can't remember)

14. Bad for environment because thermoset so sits in landfills or requires large amount of energy to break down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending