The Student Room Group

GCSE Media Exam- How to get A*?

I am only in Yr 10 and I am doing Media as an extra subject as it's not a choice in our school to do it officially. The exam is in just 2 days and I am so scared because we haven't been taught the best. How can I get an A at least or possibly an A*? The topic is Sci-Fi
Reply 1
You needed 47 last year for an a* so you were able to drop 13 marks.

Basically, you need to have a pitch planned out. Include Title and the connotations of that title. Running time and launch date, and why. Narrative (Follow todrovs theory, google if you do not know this.) Character profiles and proposed actors, this is important as the pre release hinted this to be important. Distribution (remember, if you are aqa and have the same pre release as me, you have a low budget as you are an indie film company- focus on online marketing!!!) exhibition. Tag line is important and the connotations of that.

There will be two knowledge questions. Know 3 indie films and 3 other films (family, big blockbuster, eg.) like youtube scences from them and write about the mise en scene (like props and costumes) and the shots and stuff. Know facts like director and budgets and what they earned at box office

and obviously theres always a drawing section so have a website (think its likely to be that) storyboard for trailer and opening scenes, poster, dvd cover planned out!

hope i helped a bit
Reply 2
Original post by elmxxxx
You needed 47 last year for an a* so you were able to drop 13 marks.

Basically, you need to have a pitch planned out. Include Title and the connotations of that title. Running time and launch date, and why. Narrative (Follow todrovs theory, google if you do not know this.) Character profiles and proposed actors, this is important as the pre release hinted this to be important. Distribution (remember, if you are aqa and have the same pre release as me, you have a low budget as you are an indie film company- focus on online marketing!!!) exhibition. Tag line is important and the connotations of that.

There will be two knowledge questions. Know 3 indie films and 3 other films (family, big blockbuster, eg.) like youtube scences from them and write about the mise en scene (like props and costumes) and the shots and stuff. Know facts like director and budgets and what they earned at box office

and obviously theres always a drawing section so have a website (think its likely to be that) storyboard for trailer and opening scenes, poster, dvd cover planned out!

hope i helped a bit

Thankyou ever so much that made me panic a little less. Do you know of a model answer that would be A*?
Reply 3
Original post by Sneedshelp
Thankyou ever so much that made me panic a little less. Do you know of a model answer that would be A*?

No problem! By the way you wouldnt need to include all of that in a pitch, they'll give you bullet points to cover.
Also, its unlikely they'd ask but be familiar with sci fi institutions. They usually ask about representation or audience.

And yeah ill link you! ( It's not sci- fi though )
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4810-W-TRB-U01-A-STAR-EXEMPLAR-2011.PDF
Reply 4
Original post by elmxxxx
No problem! By the way you wouldnt need to include all of that in a pitch, they'll give you bullet points to cover.
Also, its unlikely they'd ask but be familiar with sci fi institutions. They usually ask about representation or audience.

And yeah ill link you! ( It's not sci- fi though )
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4810-W-TRB-U01-A-STAR-EXEMPLAR-2011.PDF

Thankyou so much!!!!! :smile:
Im so scared for this exam in my course work i got a B and my mock i got an A i really want an A overall good luck all
Reply 6
Original post by j.bolding2
Im so scared for this exam in my course work i got a B and my mock i got an A i really want an A overall good luck all

Thankyou! Good Luck to you too :smile: What kind of main key points do you have to mention for an A? Since you got an A in mocks you may know but I haven't been able to do any mocks so I have no idea how it is :frown:
Reply 7
[QUOTE=Sneedshelp;65042641]I am only in Yr 10 and I am doing Media as an extra subject as it's not a choice in our school to do it officially. The exam is in just 2 days and I am so scared because we haven't been taught the best. How can I get an A at least or possibly an A*? The topic is Sci-Fi

The exam grade boundaries are very high!

My main tip for getting an A* would to have immaculate coursework (which is worth 60%). If you achieve and A* on your coursework it is likely you'll turn out with one in the end.

It is annoying that there is no past papers for media but my teacher made some up which I will put at the end; the main tip she gave me was write in ROLE! in your preliminary material you were given an example and in order to get the highest marks incorporate that into your answer... Eg. Hello Susan, here at Student film products we agree with what you are saying.

Secondly incorporate your film idea into the question... Eg. In my film idea I have two leading characters who have admirable characteristics which would encourage the audience to want to watch the film as they feel connected with them.

Finally make sure you have examples of other films which are like your own (I Robot, Men In Black...) and link the question to that.

Here are some example questions:
1.choose two contrasting characters in Science fiction films and discuss their representation. Make sure to include examples to support your discussion

2. Pitch your ideas for a new science fiction film, called (name). Explain your ideas and why an audience would be interested.

ALSO!!! Don't forget to use key media terminology
Reply 8
Original post by A.bi.iii
The exam grade boundaries are very high!

My main tip for getting an A* would to have immaculate coursework (which is worth 60%). If you achieve and A* on your coursework it is likely you'll turn out with one in the end.

It is annoying that there is no past papers for media but my teacher made some up which I will put at the end; the main tip she gave me was write in ROLE! in your preliminary material you were given an example and in order to get the highest marks incorporate that into your answer... Eg. Hello Susan, here at Student film products we agree with what you are saying.

Secondly incorporate your film idea into the question... Eg. In my film idea I have two leading characters who have admirable characteristics which would encourage the audience to want to watch the film as they feel connected with them.

Finally make sure you have examples of other films which are like your own (I Robot, Men In Black...) and link the question to that.

Here are some example questions:
1.choose two contrasting characters in Science fiction films and discuss their representation. Make sure to include examples to support your discussion

2. Pitch your ideas for a new science fiction film, called (name). Explain your ideas and why an audience would be interested.

ALSO!!! Don't forget to use key media terminology

Thankyou so much! That's really helpful. I got an A overall on coursework according to last years grade boundaries so I'm pretty sure the chances of getting A* overall will be low but I want to get at least an A overall. If I get a B in the exam will I be B overall for sure? I got 77/90 in coursework btw :smile:
Reply 9
[QUOTE=Sneedshelp;65051189]Thankyou so much! That's really helpful. I got an A overall on coursework according to last years grade boundaries so I'm pretty sure the chances of getting A* overall will be low but I want to get at least an A overall. If I get a B in the exam will I be B overall for sure? I got 77/90 in coursework btw :smile:

It depends. If your A is a solid A then it is probably likely that you'll get an A overall.

Coursework is 60% so if you were to get a C in the exam your overall grade will probably turn out as a B
It depends. If your A is a solid A then it is probably likely that you'll get an A overall.

Coursework is 60% so if you were to get a C in the exam your overall grade will probably turn out as a B

Aaah thanks! :biggrin:
My school has been told it can only be a storyboard for a trailer and that is genuinely the only thing I know how to do for the practical task. In planning a website can anyone tell me anything to do with what you need to include because I have no idea what I am doing for it. I am aiming for A* and got A* in my coursework but I really don't know how to do a website so any help is appreciated.
Original post by idontwantto
My school has been told it can only be a storyboard for a trailer and that is genuinely the only thing I know how to do for the practical task. In planning a website can anyone tell me anything to do with what you need to include because I have no idea what I am doing for it. I am aiming for A* and got A* in my coursework but I really don't know how to do a website so any help is appreciated.

A website needs to include:The logoNavigation barSocial media sightsRelease dateTitleCertificationProduction companiesActors namesMain focal imageAwardsQuotesReviewsTag lineTrailerPhoto galleryCopyright
Original post by idontwantto

Who told your school it will be a trailer for the storyboard? I am confused because our teacher says it won't be trailer because it has complicated cuts but maybe an opening scene :frown: I am not sure tho. I am so confused about the website too that task is a win or loose situation I think if you include main things in a website your should be fine :smile: Can I ask how marks did you get for your coursework? Well Done for getting A*! :biggrin:
Original post by Sneedshelp
Who told your school it will be a trailer for the storyboard? I am confused because our teacher says it won't be trailer because it has complicated cuts but maybe an opening scene :frown: I am not sure tho. I am so confused about the website too that task is a win or loose situation I think if you include main things in a website your should be fine :smile: Can I ask how marks did you get for your coursework? Well Done for getting A*! :biggrin:

I'm not sure where they get their information but they are 90% sure it is a trailer storyboard which I don't trust at all, I haven't planned anything else so I will quickly think of an opening sequence and hope somebody else can shed some light on the website task. I am doing the double award and got 80/90 for Unit 2 and 89/90 for Unit 4 and i'm pretty much relying on those two grades
(edited 7 years ago)
A website needs to include:The logoNavigation barSocial media sightsRelease date Title Certification Production companies Actors names Main focal image Awards Quotes Reviews Tag line Trailer Photo gallery Copyright

Do you know if you actually have to write descriptions of each section like in Q4 here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4810-W-TRB-U01-A-STAR-EXEMPLAR-2012.PDF
please can someone explain online promotion to me? like how it is used to present a film, and why?
also, my teacher has told us to keep with the working title we are given, but are you expected to change it?
Original post by jazz_xox_
please can someone explain online promotion to me? like how it is used to present a film, and why?

Online promotion:
So there's your generic adverts which pop up when your on an online site (like on here)
Another one would be social media creating accounts which promote you film
Or online reviews, where bloggers watch your film and review it which raises its awareness

Quick Reply

Latest