The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by popcornjpg
I would define it as a belief in facts and evidence. There is no evidence that God exists, but there is also no evidence that God doesn't exist - therefore, why would one believe in either? Agnosticism takes the middle-ground and acknowledges both possibilities.

Atheism is much like faith in that, people declare something to not exist, even though there is no proof for it, so it's clearly inferior.

Nope. Being an atheist doesn't mean you believe there is no god. It means you don't believe in a god. Atheism isn't a faith, because it is an evidence based belief system. Being an atheist requires no faith whatsoever.

What to do if your parents are strictly religious but you want to be an atheist?
Original post by ilalith
Nope. Being an atheist doesn't mean you believe there is no god. It means you don't believe in a god. Atheism isn't a faith, because it is an evidence based belief system. Being an atheist requires no faith whatsoever.

That's wrong though. Atheism is literally the denial or disbelief in the existence of a God. It's not the lack of faith.

You said Atheism is not a faith, but then claimed to say it is an evidence based belief system. Contradictory much? And how is it evidence based? There is literally no evidence in existence that can prove there is no God.
Original post by davidguettafan
Because it's silly to believe in things without evidence don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what do you believe in, Science?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by popcornjpg
That's wrong though. Atheism is literally the denial or disbelief in the existence of a God. It's not the lack of faith.

You said Atheism is not a faith, but then claimed to say it is an evidence based belief system. Contradictory much? And how is it evidence based? There is literally no evidence in existence that can prove there is no God.

Firstly, belief is not faith. Faith is belief without evidence.

Secondly, It is the responsibility of religions to prove a god exists, not the other way around. There is not and never will be conclusive proof that there is no God. That's not the point. That could be said about literally anything. Science doesn't deal with absolute truth. That remains the realm of mathematics and deductive reasoning.
Reply 25
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Sp what do you believe in, Science?

Not OP, but yes, I do. However, to equate believing science to believing in a God is fallacious.
What's the meaning of life, if not to serve as sacrifices to the almighty Cookie God?
Original post by iqra2159
I'm not atheist

Spoiler

I thought religious people were supposed to be nice and not swear like that! Also I thought religious people are supposed to consider others feelings which you clearly didn't with that post towards me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
I thought religious people were supposed to be nice and not swear like that! Also I thought religious people are supposed to consider others feelings which you clearly didn't with that post towards me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you had one, what was the religion you left from?
Original post by champ_mc99
If you had one, what was the religion you left from?

I've never been religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
So what do you believe in, Science?

I don't believe in science as such but science does explain a lot of stuff yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jazzyboy
What's the meaning of life, if not to serve as sacrifices to the almighty Cookie God?

What is a Cookie God?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing with this thread is that nobody has contemplated how you can practically test the existence or non-existence of God. What I mean by this, is that while you can't practically test the theory the non-existence of God in a scientific way, but because the scientific benchmark for religion is prayer, you must test the existence of God with prayer. Unfortunately, prayer does not work and there is no way to prove it does in the occassional instances in which it seems function is apparently - because of this, the only way to practically, scientifically prove the existence of God has failed and therefore, the theory that God exists is false.
Do you believe in life after death?
Original post by ChefExxxcellence
The thing with this thread is that nobody has contemplated how you can practically test the existence or non-existence of God. What I mean by this, is that while you can't practically test the theory the non-existence of God in a scientific way, but because the scientific benchmark for religion is prayer, you must test the existence of God with prayer. Unfortunately, prayer does not work and there is no way to prove it does in the occassional instances in which it seems function is apparently - because of this, the only way to practically, scientifically prove the existence of God has failed and therefore, the theory that God exists is false.

Maybe God's just being a douche and ignoring everyone's prayers. I'm not quite sure why anybody would want to worship him if so, but still... he could be real and just a complete douchebag with no sense of empathy.

What's the name of the girl in your avatar?
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
What's the name of the girl in your avatar?

I don't know sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long can you go without telling people that you're an athiest? How long does it take for you to implode?
Reply 38
Original post by Nayzar
agnosticism isn't belief in God, agnosticism is not sticking with either side. you are right in asking "why would you believe something if there is no evidence for it?". Your question can be asked in two ways:

"why would you believe there is a God if there is no evidence to show it?"
"why would you believe there is no God if there is no evidence to prove it?"

To PROVE there is no God, you would have to DISPROVE the existence of God. I'm not arguing for religion, I'm arguing for scientific methods.

Can you prove there isnt a giant, invisible, uncircumcised penis floating through the air?
Reply 39
--
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply