The Student Room Group

AQA IGCSE English Literature help-Unseen poetry and Journeys end help please

Is anybody else doing this exam? I need some help on how to structure my response on both of these sections as i want to aim for the highest possible grade. So i would like some inspiration from others to see what i need to do to get into the higher bands and try to apply it to my own writing. How do you structure your poetry response- what goes in each paragraph. Same for Journey's End. If anybody could help me that would be greatly appreciated.
Which Journey's End question did you do today? And which unseen poetry points did you get?
Original post by princesshan
Which Journey's End question did you do today? And which unseen poetry points did you get?

I did the one about Hibbert
the poem totally messed with me I wrote about her desire for the fox's fur
Original post by rebldomakr

I did Hibbert too, wrote about his initial description of him having a pallid face and then just his argument with Stanhope and Stanhope opening up to him. For the unseen poetry I wrote about her being in love for the fox, romanticizing it, and wanting to go ballroom dancing with it. I also got about her contrasting thoughts about the fox, telling it 'don't look at me like that' and then begging it to meet her gaze. Finally I got about how she described the fox as being like a posh fur coat, contrasting to the view most others would have of seeing the fox as dirty. What did you get?
Reply 4

Your interpretation is actually what the poem is about we went through it after in class, I was one of the individuals that went on about the lust between the narrator and the fox, and how the fox was actually a man. But that isn't correct but hopefully I'll gt marks for my analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B4sh
Your interpretation is actually what the poem is about we went through it after in class, I was one of the individuals that went on about the lust between the narrator and the fox, and how the fox was actually a man. But that isn't correct but hopefully I'll gt marks for my analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile
almost everyone I know wrote about the woman romanticising the fox and that does show her feelings towards it so I'm sure you'll get the marks
Reply 6
Original post by B4sh

Posted from TSR Mobile

So she did want it for a coat!?
Original post by princesshan
I did Hibbert too, wrote about his initial description of him having a pallid face and then just his argument with Stanhope and Stanhope opening up to him. For the unseen poetry I wrote about her being in love for the fox, romanticizing it, and wanting to go ballroom dancing with it. I also got about her contrasting thoughts about the fox, telling it 'don't look at me like that' and then begging it to meet her gaze. Finally I got about how she described the fox as being like a posh fur coat, contrasting to the view most others would have of seeing the fox as dirty. What did you get?

I wrote about what Hibbert represented, the true nature of some of the men who were forced to take part in the war. i then went into detail about the neuralgia excuses stuff, his problematic views on women making him an unlikeable character and him annoying Stanhope (that whole you go to bed thing lmao). I also went into how he could be seen showing a different sort of courage referencing the part where he asked Stanhope to shoot him (I think this was wrong)
The poem was really creepy. Most people wrote about her romantic feelings towards the fox but I didn't really think of that. I started by talking about the fox's trust for her growing, her desire for the coat, the imagery became more agressive as her desire grew as if she was becoming more sly, fox-like and animalistic herself until she got the fur. I don't even know if this was right I totally don't know what's going on everyone wrote really different things
Original post by Kaedra
So she did want it for a coat!?

that's what I thought but idk anymore
Reply 9
that's what I thought but idk anymore

I put that as well but most of the people in my year thought she was in love with the fox :redface:

Maybe they all just have really dirty minds :teehee:

Shite I wrote that she basically fancied the fox, thinking that the whole poem was about bestiality :biggrin:
Original post by Kaedra
I put that as well but most of the people in my year thought she was in love with the fox :redface:

All the guys in my year including me thought that, whereas some of the girls were like, "it represented her emotions of wanting to break out of the normal routine of life" :redface:
Original post by Kaedra
I put that as well but most of the people in my yeafr thought she was in love with the fox :redface:

people literally thought it was about beastiality 😳 some said the fox was a metaphor for a guy though and I think that was okay
Reply 13
Original post by george_c00per
All the guys in my year including me thought that, whereas some of the girls were like, "it represented her emotions of wanting to break out of the normal routine of life" :redface:

people literally thought it was about beastiality 😳 some said the fox was a metaphor for a guy though and I think that was okay

I like to think that the examiners will be very amused and/or confused marking these scripts :tongue:
Shite I wrote that she basically fancied the fox, thinking that the whole poem was about bestiality :biggrin:

you've got the feelings the narrator had towards the fox so I'm pretty sure you got the marks
you've got the feelings the narrator had towards the fox so I'm pretty sure you got the marks

Exactly, I made sure to include that it hints that the narrator wanted to join forces with the fox so I could at least get some of the marks lol.

Most people in my year were convinced that the fox was actually a man though? Because of the final lines..
Reply 16
Exactly, I made sure to include that it hints that the narrator wanted to join forces with the fox so I could at least get some of the marks lol.

Most people in my year were convinced that the fox was actually a man though? Because of the final lines..

I think it was a fox because of how the question was phrased
Original post by Kaedra
I think it was a fox because of how the question was phrased

Exactly, for example why would a man kill chickens and be a hunter of the moon..

yeah some people in my year thought the same. that's what I thought it was about after the exam but people on here said all sorts of stuff like the woman trying to be free from society's expectations, humans reverting back to their natural hunting state and then male prostitution??? but most agreed with the fur thing or obsession/love thing
yeah some people in my year thought the same. that's what I thought it was about after the exam but people on here said all sorts of stuff like the woman trying to be free from society's expectations, humans reverting back to their natural hunting state and then male prostitution??? but most agreed with the fur thing or obsession/love thing

The woman wanting to revert back to the natural hunting state is what my friend who is super good at English wrote, so I'd say that's a pretty good point. I never even made a point about the fur, I just said that the fox's coat looked so clean that a tailor could have fitted it for him. The woman wearing the fox fur I thought just meant that now they would be a combined force, they can swap traits and live almost as one entity.

When I first read this poem I hated it, but looking back it's actually got lots of possible meanings which are all equally interesting. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending