The Student Room Group

english lit poetry

what did people write for the English Lit wjec poetry exam today??? lots of people are saying 'In Cardigan Market' was about a prostitute but i didn't get that at all, just wondering if I'm the only one?
Reply 1
Whattttttttt i thought it was about a fish marketttttt:frown::frown:
I didn't get that either. There is no evidence to support it! I swear it is about a fish monger and in the other poem a guy selling cars.

I hope I don't get a bad grade.
I thought she was selling fish on a market stall! Although the poems were AWFUL this year and I'm very worried about my grade.
LMFAO

which moron thought she was a prostitute XD

Agreed, poems sucked this year.

For Auntie Jane Fish, I wrote about how she, despite her dislike-able appearance, has a more hidden optimism to her. And is like a good friend. She also has more control and respect due to being "rough". I compared that to the narrator and Greg who lacked control of themselves. Narrator with his lack of control over his speech, and Greg with his smile (knotting and unknotting the façade)

They weren't the best - hope you did okay, though
Reply 5
Any interpretation is valid so long as you support it with evidence and explain it :smile: I talked about stuff that probably wasn't "right" but eh. Seemed like she was a fisher to me....
I've always struggled with poetry tbh
I made a massive mistake by spending too much time on OMAM, and only gave myself 40ish mins for poetry. By the time I read the poems, I was in a panic because I didn't know what to write. I began by writing about In Cardigan Market and think I got a good analysis of that, but the second one I barely made any comparisons or analysed it. I really really hated the poems haha
Reply 7
Ok, loads of people on twitter are saying Jane was a whore, can anyone who wrote about that interpretation explain it?? I really don't get it...
Original post by elttuc
Ok, loads of people on twitter are saying Jane was a whore, can anyone who wrote about that interpretation explain it?? I really don't get it...

They took the "squatting" to be that Jane was squatting for sex (ridiculous)

The fact that men come miles to buy her "princely trout" supposedly represents selling her vagina to the men
It WAS about prostitutes and the other poem was about Gay

BUt it doesnt matter because its your own interpretation of the poem.
Reply 10
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
They took the "squatting" to be that Jane was squatting for sex (ridiculous)

The fact that men come miles to buy her "princely trout" supposedly represents selling her vagina to the men

I guess I can sort of understand that. I believe it was princely salmon not trout and I talked about the difference in adjectives from the fish. Eg the salmon was princely while the eel was viscous. I said that as salmon swim upstream and go against the norm this what makes them "princely". I said it is a reflection of Jane, in that she doesn't conform to society's beauty standards yet she is successful in her field. Pure ******** ik but had to write something aha
Original post by Lightning_xo

trust me, it really WASN'T. My english teacher burst out laughing when she heard some people wrote about it!
Original post by elttuc
I guess I can sort of understand that. I believe it was princely salmon not trout and I talked about the difference in adjectives from the fish. Eg the salmon was princely while the eel was viscous. I said that as salmon swim upstream and go against the norm this what makes them "princely". I said it is a reflection of Jane, in that she doesn't conform to society's beauty standards yet she is successful in her field. Pure ******** ik but had to write something aha

no, I like the idea. how it's a reflection of Jane? Clever. Don't sweat it, man. It sounds creative, that's what matters

i'm sure you'll get shed loads of marks :^)
Original post by Lightning_xo

LOL

dude, it's not
Reply 14
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
no, I like the idea. how it's a reflection of Jane? Clever. Don't sweat it, man. It sounds creative, that's what matters

i'm sure you'll get shed loads of marks :^)

Well, I talked about how Jane stood out from everyone else in the market due to her appearance and her voice which sounded like a saw on nails. Yet despite this she is successful. In the same way the salmon is different from the other fish as it swims upstream and it is "princely" but the others are vulgar and viscous.

Thnaks! English isn't my strong point and I don't think my wording was very graceful in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending