The Student Room Group

WJEC English Lit Unit1 Exam

Scroll to see replies

I didn't write about that, I told my English teacher what I wrote and apparently I got it right. The poem was definitely not about prostitution haha! So glad I didn't write about it
Did anyone do To Kill a Mockingbird?
Original post by olivia.00
of mice and men questions was not that bad!
however, the unseen poetry went terrible,
does anyone remember the poem names and their writers names?

In Cardigan Market and The Carshow room I think
Reply 23
For the poems, I said about how the poets were both male; therefore, more able to empathise with Greg as he is also a male. It said something like "He was almost as bad as me" or something along the lines of that in 'Car Showroom' which shows this I think? The male poet in 'In Cardigan Business' is less likely to empathise with her as he is talking about a female, despite the fact she seems to be doing her job perfectly well.
Did anyone else say anything like that?? I do feel that it is a bit stupid haha. I just hope it is plausible and will get me some marks hopefully; I'm hoping to get a C but it ain't looking good :frown:
LOL I completely lost track of time... Spent 40 minutes on the extract question.. 40 minutes on the essay question and 40 on the poems..but TBH it worked pretty well since I finished in Time..... I THOUGHT I DID PRETTY well on the poems at the time but thinking back now... I'm gonna be lucky to pass ;-) especially since I flopped OMaM (didn't read the book or revise the historical context oops)
Original post by bethanyjx
LOL I completely lost track of time... Spent 40 minutes on the extract question.. 40 minutes on the essay question and 40 on the poems..but TBH it worked pretty well since I finished in Time..... I THOUGHT I DID PRETTY well on the poems at the time but thinking back now... I'm gonna be lucky to pass ;-) especially since I flopped OMaM (didn't read the book or revise the historical context oops)

I got A*s in my mocks and I did not write a thing about the historical context, don't worry you will be fine!
Original post by Naomi265
In Cardigan Market was about prostitution and the car showroom was apparently about homosexuality (which i don't see at all)

The In Cardigan Market was not about prostitution
I left the exam hall feeling assured and confident in my answer to poetry, only to discover that Auntie Jane fish was a prostitute and the person in Car Showroom was gay? The sad thing was I was going to say that Auntie Jane Fish was a prostitute but thought it was a bit risqué. But how on God's earth was I meant to know that Gary was gay!!!! I feel like these exam boards are taking the acc piss. but heck what's the point of stressing out over something that has come and gone?? :/
Original post by ruadb0y
For the poems, I said about how the poets were both male; therefore, more able to empathise with Greg as he is also a male. It said something like "He was almost as bad as me" or something along the lines of that in 'Car Showroom' which shows this I think? The male poet in 'In Cardigan Business' is less likely to empathise with her as he is talking about a female, despite the fact she seems to be doing her job perfectly well.
Did anyone else say anything like that?? I do feel that it is a bit stupid haha. I just hope it is plausible and will get me some marks hopefully; I'm hoping to get a C but it ain't looking good :frown:

I did not write anything like that, I wrote that the woman was horrible on the outside and she stood out as her skin had a "gleam" but overall she was well liked as she was described as "Auntie" and she had a nice inside. The man, on the other hand, was "well groomed" but he just spouted words that were put in his mouth so he acted like a robot. He did not stand out, he tries to hide his feelings and therefore he is like a robot. Apparently, I spoke to my teacher, I wrote the right things which I am happy about.
Original post by ellieffion
Did anyone do To Kill a Mockingbird?

I did how did you find it and which essay question did you do
Original post by jenns_lifestyle
I left the exam hall feeling assured and confident in my answer to poetry, only to discover that Auntie Jane fish was a prostitute and the person in Car Showroom was gay? The sad thing was I was going to say that Auntie Jane Fish was a prostitute but thought it was a bit risqué. But how on God's earth was I meant to know that Gary was gay!!!! I feel like these exam boards are taking the acc piss. but heck what's the point of stressing out over something that has come and gone?? :/

Don't worry, the poems were not about prostitution or homosexuality, I asked the english department in my school!
Original post by Adilpatel
I did how did you find it and which essay question did you do

I liked the extract and I picked the mockingbird one. Overall, I thought it was quite easy and luckily I had lots of quotes in the back of my mind which I was able to use to back up my points. What about you?
Reply 32
Original post by ruadb0y

That sounds like a very creative point but it does seem like quite a sexist remark, just because the poets are both male does not mean they will show more empathy towards Greg. Furthermore, it's not about how the poet feels towards the poem it's about the way the poem makes you feel. However, i'm only a student just as you so may opinion may well just be wrong.

Also, to anyone wondering, those poems were definitely nothing to do with prostitution or homosexuality, just some people making jokes about last years papers :smile:
Reply 33
i feel like im a bit stupid cuz i completely forgot to write about how lennie shows dreams were an important part of 1930s society
Original post by Jak123
That sounds like a very creative point but it does seem like quite a sexist remark, just because the poets are both male does not mean they will show more empathy towards Greg. Furthermore, it's not about how the poet feels towards the poem it's about the way the poem makes you feel. However, i'm only a student just as you so may opinion may well just be wrong.

Also, to anyone wondering, those poems were definitely nothing to do with prostitution or homosexuality, just some people making jokes about last years papers :smile:

Haha, I had no idea why everyone was saying they were about prostitutes and homosexuals, they were clearly not! My english teacher laughed so much when she heard that some people actually wrote about prostitution!
Reply 35
Original post by its_joe
i feel like im a bit stupid cuz i completely forgot to write about how lennie shows dreams were an important part of 1930s society

The way i explained it is that the dream is a cyclical cycle, as Steinbeck introduces us to the dream in chapter one, and ends it metaphorically through the mercy killing of Lennie towards the end of the novella. Steinbeck therefore uses Lennie as a symbol of the rise of hope given by the dream, and the imminent vulgar end to the dream and basically shows the harsh reality of the society that no-one truly ever achieves their dream.
Reply 36
Original post by ellieffion
Haha, I had no idea why everyone was saying they were about prostitutes and homosexuals, they were clearly not! My english teacher laughed so much when she heard that some people actually wrote about prostitution!

I know, the people that wrote about prostitutes on a poem about a fish market and car showroom are not going to enjoy seeing their English Literature mark on results day!
Original post by Jak123

I don't think so, and did actually write about prostitution in the exam (so there must have been something there for me to think of earlier in the exam without being told since) - "drips female sweat and friendship" "men come for miles" "buy from morn till night" "she squats here" etc

I really don't see the homosexuality though:/
Original post by its_joe

Don't worry, I didn't either. I only wrote a massive paragraph on how disabled people were treated 'crazy bastard' and a huge paragraph on about some random crap that did not match the question now I think about it.. Did 2 paragraph on a page for Lennie..
Reply 39
Original post by Naomi265
I don't think so, and did actually write about prostitution in the exam (so there must have been something there for me to think of earlier in the exam without being told since) - "drips female sweat and friendship" "men come for miles" "buy from morn till night" "she squats here" etc

I really don't see the homosexuality though:/

The way she drips female sweat and friendship shows the fact she is one - a hard worker- and two - she literally sweats compassion and love for others whilst taking part in her job.
The fact men comes for miles to buy her princely trout does not mean they come to purchase sex, do you really think the exam board would've thought we would be able to interpret trouts as sexual parts?
And 'she squats here' does not mean she will be squatting for sex, she is at a market for god sake.
The exam board will not give us a poem talking about sexual positions and the way people have sex, as well as her trout being a metaphor for her vagina hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest