The Student Room Group

C4 Vectors Question

Need help on this question, what is a scalar parameter? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464031334.997602.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by TSRforum
Need help on this question, what is a scalar parameter? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464031334.997602.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fancy word for "real numbers" that, as you vary them, gives you the position vectors of points on the line.
Reply 2
The line AB with be perpendicular to both l1 and l2 l_1 \text{ and } l_2 . Use properties of the scalar product for perpendicular lines to solve for λ and μ \lambda \text{ and } \mu and hence find the coordinates.
Scalar just means a number, not a vector in this case basically. Parameter means that it is treated as a constant value but it is free to change (but it is fixed in any particular case- I find it quite difficult to define parameter).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
vector= magnitude(quantity)+direction
Scalar=magnitude only
parameter=thing
Reply 4
it just means that they represent simple numbers
Reply 5
Is this stuff in the OCR spec? I got it from a Edexcel paper, never came across it before. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TSRforum
Is this stuff in the OCR spec? I got it from a Edexcel paper, never came across it before. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you not have vectors in OCR?
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Do you not have vectors in OCR?

Yes but I couldn't answer this with my notes, guess I have crappy notes :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
either that or its just taught in a different way in ocr. i do edexcel not ocr btw

Quick Reply

Latest