The Student Room Group

Psychology AS Paper 2 RESIT (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For the biological evaluation, would I get 4 marks if I wrote about side effects of drugs, treats symptoms not cause, ethical issues of drugs and that drugs are not effective for all types of people and all types of disorders
Could you do REBT for the psychological therapy for the last question??
Original post by sonnu
For the biological evaluation, would I get 4 marks if I wrote about side effects of drugs, treats symptoms not cause, ethical issues of drugs and that drugs are not effective for all types of people and all types of disorders
Wasn't that question about evaluation if the approach not the treatments?
Reply 23
Original post by Jennifer97
Wasn't that question about evaluation if the approach not the treatments?

You can write about treatments as they are part of the biological approach
Original post by Jess_P
Did anyone else find the very last question a little strange? I talked about systematic desensitisation, but I wasn't quite sure if they wanted us to just outline it, or compare it and psychoanalysis haha, ah well only a 4 marker on an otherwise good paper

same i spoke about systematic desensitisation but my teacher said CBT was correct too. true this exam was truely one of the best exams Ive had
Original post by Jess_P
Did anyone else find the very last question a little strange? I talked about systematic desensitisation, but I wasn't quite sure if they wanted us to just outline it, or compare it and psychoanalysis haha, ah well only a 4 marker on an otherwise good paper

outline relating to the stem on snakes
Original post by Georginarosee
For the last question could you do CBT?

yh
Reply 27
PP were deceived as to the true aim of the study.
Low in external validity
High levels of control because it was a laboratory experiment.

ok good thats similar to what i wrote
i did a point on
-ethics- deception, difficultly to withdraw, harm.
-methology- lab exp, control etc, but could argue p worked out aim of exp so lacked internal v
-Research support- Hoflings.

Where we meant to related A02 directly to authority figure e.g. legitimacy etc
Can anyone remember all / some of the questions? so i can put together all the questions and maybe produce an unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 29
Original post by elllssss
Can anyone remember all / some of the questions? so i can put together all the questions and maybe produce an unofficial mark scheme?

PAS and SAM letterings (4)
Two strengths of questionnaires (4)
Rita and Nick daily hassles question (4)
Outline SIT (4)
Evaluate SIT (4)
12 marker on obedience (12)
Minority influence and social change (4)
Graph question (4)
Two definitions of abnormality (6)
Biological approach (6)
Evaluation of biological approach (4)
Psychoanalysis and snake phobias (4)
Another therapy for snake phobias (4)

Theres definitely some stuff missed off there but I hope that helps haha
Original post by Jess_P
Rita and Nick daily hassles question (4)
Outline SIT (4)
Evaluate SIT (4)
12 marker on obedience (12)
Minority influence and social change (4)
Graph question (4)
Two definitions of abnormality (6)
Biological approach (6)
Evaluation of biological approach (4)

Theres definitely some stuff missed off there but I hope that helps haha

Complete set of questions:
One ethical issue of questionnaires (2)
Identify two daily hassles from stem (2)
Who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress? Using psychological research (Nick and Rina) (4)
Outline SIT as a psychological therapy for stress management(4)
Outline one or more limitations of SIT (4)
Discuss research into obedience to authority (12)
One reason why (name of guy doing work experience) resisted to conform (2)
Describe how minority influence can bring about social change (4)
Draw a bar chart with the data provided from the table (4)
What do the results in the table show about conformity (2)
Outline two definitions of abnormality (6)
Outline the biological approach to psychopathology (6)
Evaluation the biological approach to psychopathology (4)
(edited 7 years ago)
Section A: Stress (24 marks total)
1 - the stress pathways (4)
2 - questionnaire two advantages (2+2)
3- ethical issues from using a questionnaire (2)
4- Nick and Rina question, who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress, using research in your answer (4)
5- identify two daily hassles from stem (2)
6- explain SIT (4)
7- evaluate SIT (4)

Section B: Social (24)
1- discuss research for obedience of authority (12)
2- describe how minority can influence social change (4)
3- describe which conformity influence the guy doing work experience had (2)
3- draw the bar graph (4)
4- describe the results from the bar graph (2)

Section C: Abnormality (24)
1- describe two definitions for psychopathology (6)
2- describe the biological approach for abnormality (6)
3- evaluate the biological approach for abnormality (4)
4- describe how psychoanalysis may help Pavel and his snake fear (4)
5- another psychological therapy to treat Pavel and his snake fear (4)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Socychoictraphy
Complete set of questions:
PAS and SAM letterings (4)Two strengths of questionnaires (4)One ethical issue of questionnaires (2)Identify two daily hassles from stem (2)Rita and Nick daily hassles question (4)Outline SIT (4)Evaluate SIT (4)12 marker on obedience (12)One reason why (name of guy doing work experience) resisted to conform (2)Minority influence and social change (4)Graph question (4)What do the results from table show (2)Two definitions of abnormality (6)Biological approach (6)Evaluation of biological approach (4)Psychoanalysis and snake phobias (4)Another therapy for snake phobias (4)

thank you!
Reply 33
For the last question could you do CBT?

I did CBT too, hope its right :s-smilie: I found it to be quite a nice paper, but this is the first exam I've ever been close for time on, probably because I ended up writing on extra paper on the 12 marker cause I had so much to say about it, it was so much nicer than I was expecting :colondollar:
what did you guys put for that guy in the new working environment?
Stress (24 marks)
1. Match the correct letter with the correct space for the pituitary-adrenal system and the sympathomedullary system (4)
2(a). Two strengths of using questionnaires in stress research (2+2)
2(b). One ethical issue of using questionnaires (2)
3(a). Identify two daily hassles from the stem above (2)
3(b). Who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress? Using psychological research to support your answer. (4)
4(a). Outline SIT as a psychological therapy for stress management(4)
4(b). Outline one or more limitations of SIT (4)

Social Psychology (24 marks)
5. Discuss research into obedience to authority (12)
6. Identify one explanation for (Andy/Dylan/Alex?) conforming and justify your choice (2)
7. Describe how minority influence can bring about social change (4)
8(a). Draw a bar chart with the data provided from the table (4)
8(b). What do the results in the table show about conformity (2)

Individual Differences (24 marks)
9. Outline two definitions of abnormality (6)
10(a). Outline the biological approach to psychopathology (6)
10(b). Evaluate the biological approach to psychopathology (4)
11(a). Describe how psychoanalysis would be used to help Pavel with his snake phobia (4)
11(b). Identify an alternative psychological therapy Pavel could be treated with and explain why it would be effective (4)

Predicted grade boundaries:
A: 58
B: 53
C: 48
D: 44
E: 40
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by elllssss
thank you!

where will you post your unofficial mark scheme??
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME - please feel free to edit this :smile:

Section A: Stress (24 marks total)
1 - the stress pathways (4)
it already had on one side the pituitary glands, so i think it was needed to put the adrenal cortex and cortisol released, and the other side it had adrenaline/noradrenaline (i think?) so it wanted adrenal medulla and i put that the heart rate and blood pressure would increase (as that is the fight and flight response)
2 - questionnaire two advantages (2+2)
(came up June 2013 so from mark scheme:smile:
Two strengths of using questionnaires could include

Compared to interview they are easy to use (1 mark). The researcher doesn’t needany special training to hand out the questionnaires (2nd mark for elaboration).

People may be happier to disclose personal information on a questionnaire (1 mark)compared to a face-to-face situation (2nd mark for elaboration).

Participants can answer the questions without the need for the researcher to bepresent (1 mark) so reducing experimenter bias (2nd mark for elaboration).

If the questionnaire used closed questions which generate quantitative data, this iseasier to analyse (1 mark) than open questions which generate qualitative data whichis difficult to analyse (2nd mark for elaboration).

Can be given to a large group of people (1 mark). For each strength, 1 mark for identifying the strength and a further mark for explaining why itis a strength. The final bullet point is an example of a 1-mark answer as there is noexplanation of why it is a strength.

3- ethical issues from using a questionnaire (2)
unsure what to put here, i put it may cause stress so protection from harm?? not sure
4- Nick and Rina question, who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress, using research in your answer (4)
(Similar question came up in June 2014 just with workplace instead of daily hassles)
From mark scheme in 2014:
The stem refers to the role of control (Mrs Sands making decisions) and lack of control (Mrs Hewitthaving no say in the way she works but her work being determined by others). Candidates canmake a case for either of the women being more likely to be stressed: Mrs Sands because of highworkload as she makes the decisions or Mrs Hewitt who has so much work that she has to staylate; Mrs Hewitt lack of control, but they need to justify their choice. Candidates are likely to refer toresearch by Marmot or Johansson. Karasek’s model could also be used effectively here .For fullmarks there must be explicit reference to relevant research and also explicit engagement with the stem.
so for daily hassles is used research from Kanner et al - and said about how Nick has experienced many daily hassles in the past week which can have a negative effect for stress. whereas Rina has had life changes (??) so hers are more intense which can result in negative effects of stress
5- identify two daily hassles from stem (2)
i put that he was late to work a few times and that he lost his keys for his motorbike
6- explain SIT (4)
conceptualisation, skills acquisition and rehearsal and application and follow up, just explain what they are
7- evaluate SIT (4)
i said that that it ignores other factors which can cause stress, meaning that biological treatments may be better approach rather than psychological. also that it takes a while and needs a lot of commitment for SIT (was unsure on what else to write about)

Section B: Social (24)
1- discuss research for obedience of authority (12)
Milgram experiment, 40 male volunteers etc described the experiment and what happened etc. Evaluation - huge ethical issues : deception, protection from harm, couldn't give full informed consent, wasn't really allowed to withdraw, but they were debriefed afterwards. High internal validity as people didn't know what was going to happen therefore hardly any demand characteristics shown. Lacks ecological validity as it was done in an laboratory etc.
2- describe how minority can influence social change (4)
they form internalisation,members of the majority take on the beliefs and views of a consistent minority rather than just complying. i used an example of trying to get people to recycle.
3- describe which conformity influence the guy doing work experience had (2)
unsure as i've seen others thinking differently to me. i put it was informational as the guy watches others and then internalises the behaviours as he didn't know what to do (but i have seen others who have put normative so not sure)
3- draw the bar graph (4)
simple, for full marks make sure you labelled axises and put a key / title and did the bar graph precisely
4- describe the results from the bar graph (2)
i put that cultures differ from each other in relation to conformity. also that females are more likely to conform than males, used an example.

Section C: Abnormality (24)
1- describe two definitions for psychopathology (6)
i did deviation from ideal mental health and failure to function adequately. deviation from ideal mental health- jahoda: self attitude, self-actualisation, resistance to stress, personal autonomy, accurate perception of reality, and adaptive to environment. failure to function adequately- dysfunction behaviour, observer discomfort, unpredictable behaviour, irrational behaviour, and personal distress.
2- describe the biological approach for abnormality (6)
genetics, brain injury, infection, neurotransmitters, put examples of each - maybe should have included a study but couldn't remember at the time.
3- evaluate the biological approach for abnormality (4)
scientific and lots of empirical support, does not blame the individual and practical applications of this e.g. bio treatments - drugs, exercise and biofeedback.. but reductionist as it focuses on one gene etc so not the best approach. other approaches may be better e.g. psychodynamic as it talks about how the childhood can lead to abnormality etc.
4- describe how psychoanalysis may help Pavel and his snake fear (4)
i put hypnosis and free association just explained what they are / how the worked etc and applying it to Pavel.
5- another psychological therapy to treat Pavel and his snake fear (4)
i put systematic desensitisation and a little bit of REBT and linked to his snake fear.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zchilz
where will you post your unofficial mark scheme??

i have just posted it below :smile: please feel free to add and change as some answers i was not sure on myself :smile:
This says it's the old spec but these topics are different to the AQA B Unit 2 paper I did today - did anyone do remembering & forgetting, social influence and anxiety disorders?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending