The Student Room Group

I have schizophrenia - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cookiemonster15
Are there times when you loose sense of reality when you hear those voices? Like, you don't know if the voices are real or not?

Just a bit curious :smile:

The voices are real to me, even if other people can't hear them.
Reply 21
I've got psychotic disorder. Which is similar. Are you on Olanzapine too?
Reply 22
How do you think people around you should act in order to make life easier for you?
Reply 23
Original post by Scott.
I've got psychotic disorder. Which is similar. Are you on Olanzapine too?

I'm on Clozapine which is very similar.
Original post by Cinnie
The voices are real to me, even if other people can't hear them.

Do you know what triggered this?

I feel like I'm asking so many questions but I've always been interested in Schizophrenia and finding out how it affects people
Reply 25
Do you hallucinate visually as well? If not, how do the voices get mixed up with reality without you seeing anyone talking?
Reply 26
Original post by Nayzar
How do you think people around you should act in order to make life easier for you?

Just acting like they normally would. I don't want anyone to make any special effort for me.
Reply 27

I feel like I'm asking so many questions but I've always been interested in Schizophrenia and finding out how it affects people

I have no idea. One day I was normal and the next, I started hearing things that other people couldn't hear. A first I thought they were lying and they could hear them too.. and then I realised that it was just me.
Reply 28

Same here. Mental issues are so interesting. I am considering going into psychiatry if i do medicine. or, failing that, psychology
Reply 29
Original post by Nayzar
Do you hallucinate visually as well? If not, how do the voices get mixed up with reality without you seeing anyone talking?

Yes I used to see things that other people couldn't... but that stopped once I started taking clozapine.

I don't know how to answer the second part, sorry.
Original post by Nayzar
Same here. Mental issues are so interesting. I am considering going into psychiatry if i do medicine. or, failing that, psychology

wow, that's so weird, I have literally got the same plans as you! I applied to Medicine this year in hopes of going into Psychiatry but put Neuroscience and Psychology as my back up.
Are you a genius ?
What the difference between paranoid schizophrenia and your schizophrenia ?
Why do people mix up schizophrenia for multiple personality disorder ?
Do your voices tell you to do violent acts ?
Do those close to you act differently if they know your schizophrenic ?
How do you feel about the schizophrenic murderer stereotype ?
Do you have any way apart from medication that stops the voices from talking or is it something which doesn't go away?
Does it affect you too much in your daily life or are the medicine you're taking (I'm assuming you take some? Correct me if I'm wrong) help reduce these symptoms?
Reply 34
Original post by Kadak
1) Are you a genius ?
2) What the difference between paranoid schizophrenia and your schizophrenia ?
3) Why do people mix up schizophrenia for multiple personality disorder ?
4) Do your voices tell you to do violent acts ?
5) Do those close to you act differently if they know your schizophrenic ?
6) How do you feel about the schizophrenic murderer stereotype ?

1) I'm not a genius, i'm about average intelligence.
2) I've never been told I have paranoid schizophrenia, but I may have it, I don't know
3) Do they?
4) Only towards myself
5) No, the people I care about act completely normally around me
6) I hate the stereotype because people with schizophrenia are rarely dangerous.
Reply 35
Original post by george_c00per
Do you have any way apart from medication that stops the voices from talking or is it something which doesn't go away?

Going for a walk really helps me come back into reality so that I can focus on the 'real' world a bit better, but it doesn't usually go away when I want it to.
Reply 36
Does it affect you too much in your daily life or are the medicine you're taking (I'm assuming you take some? Correct me if I'm wrong) help reduce these symptoms?

The medication has stopped the visual hallucinations and most of the auditory ones.. so it affects me much less now. I still get a crowd of voices which is really annoying.
Original post by Cinnie
1) I'm not a genius, i'm about average intelligence.
2) I've never been told I have paranoid schizophrenia, but I may have it, I don't know
3) Do they?
4) Only towards myself
5) No, the people I care about act completely normally around me
6) I hate the stereotype because people with schizophrenia are rarely dangerous.

Yeah,schizophrenia is probably the most misunderstood illness.It often is mixed up with MPD. I blame the media,they never show schizophrenia in a positive light.
Have you always had schizophrenia or was it triggered by an event ?
Reply 38
Original post by Kadak
Yeah,schizophrenia is probably the most misunderstood illness.It often is mixed up with MPD. I blame the media,they never show schizophrenia in a positive light.
Have you always had schizophrenia or was it triggered by an event ?

I've had it for 2 and a half years, and i'm not sure what triggered it.. I think it was just always a part of my DNA.
When you talk about a crowd of voices - is it as though they are talking to you specifically, or is it as though you are standing in a busy crowd? (Sorry about my abundance of questions, I'm just rather interested :redface:)

Quick Reply