The Student Room Group

Eddie Izzard talks to you about the EU Referendum! Monday 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Dragon_
I think you should be the one sticking to the colouring books; 90% of the European land mass, oh dear...

The EU accounts for less than half of the European Land mass so it is not at all valid to refer to the EU as Europe

source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_the_European_Union

Meh, I do t think most people especially Russians consider Russia a part of Europe, let alone Georgia, in any case, there are far more European countries in the EU than out.
Original post by Davij038
Meh, I do t think most people especially Russians consider Russia a part of Europe, let alone Georgia, in any case, there are far more European countries in the EU than out.

Still a considerable number of countries that are outside, enough to warrant separate terminology...
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah because Vote Remain clearly orchestrated this...

Their sphere of influence is overarching :ninja:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Dragon_
Dear Eddie Izzard,

Why are you deliberately misleading young voters by calling your campaign, "stand up for Europe". You are insulting our intelligence by suggesting this referendum is on whether we will leave a geographical continent.

If young voters are seriously being confused by that, I think they're too young to be voting...
Original post by Aj12
Yes :colondollar:

But TSR is a private organisation providing a free service that you are under no obligation to use or support. If it wishes to promote a particular view point ( which it does constantly on a variety of issues) then it is perfectly entitled to do that. You are just as free to stop using the service. TSR has done quite a few things over the years that its members haven't liked, and have quite vehemently opposed. It has absolutely no obligation to neutrality or to be representative of what its users desire. Naturally it'd be wise to listen to the general feel of the user base, but there is certainly no obligation at all there.

Entitled to, yes, but this doesn't make their decisions immune to criticism or the qualms of their userbase concerning fair representation any less valid. Things an organisation should have the right to do, or aren't obliged to do, aren't necessarily things the users don't also have the right to complain about (or ask for).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
If young voters are seriously being confused by that, I think they're too young to be voting...

The point is that he is dumbing down the argument by preying on many students lack of knowledge re the EU. Suggesting the EU is 'Europe' is wholly misleading and intellectually devoid.
Original post by EuanF
I've not found the quality of his arguments to be significantly different to other in voters :wink:

That is because you are a blind, biased, bigot :wink:
Original post by Eddie Izzard
There are lots and lots but worth trying out Michael Mittermeier, Yacine Belhousse, Igor Meerson and Francesco de Carlo.

I saw him perform in Zurich about a month ago (and being German seen I think most of his things on TV). He is absolutely amazing, great to see someone like yourself appreciating him.
Original post by Eddie Izzard
I agree with you, we are better in than out and we have no chance of making the EU work better if we leave it altogether. The EU isn't perfect - either is the way the UK or any other governmental system is run.

But it's worth doing - what we are trying to do, work across a whole continent, it's an incredibly difficult thing, it's never been done before, and of course it isn't easy but I strong believe it's worth trying.

David Cameron has tried to renegotiate something, it may not be enough for some people but we won't fix it by running away and hiding.

First post and probably hit the nail on the head.
Hahaha, this was one anticlimactic interview. He just answered a couple of easy questions and then buggered off to preach about things he clearly doesn't know much about elsewhere. Remember, people, that being a celebrity doesn't make one a political/economic/legal expert. Likewise, when Georgie Clooney spreads his ‘educated opinion’ about the environment or their presidential race, you should ask yourselves what makes him so qualified. We should be looking at objective data rather than using influential people to convince others through emotion.
Eddie Lizard.
Meh, they're sticking to the economic arguments which is understandable but can get dull after a while. Nick Clegg schooled Dan Hannan on economics at the brexit spectator debate.

Nick Clegg lied that we had to join the EU or would go into recession and never be able to trade at the top again. Nick Clegg promised he would abolish tutition fees if he got into government, but instead raised them by £3,000. He managed to reduce the number of Lib Dem MPs from 60 to 8. So he's not the most trustworthy person to quote in support of bremain. Just some advice
Hi Eddie. :smile: Do you agree that the Leave EU campaign is essentially a trojan horse for reactionary right wing policies like supporting the supremacy of the City of London over British democracy and panders to hysterical appeals to racism from the right wing media who are secretly using it as part of a strategy to avoid paying their taxes globally?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Hi Eddie. :smile: Do you agree that the Leave EU campaign is essentially a trojan horse for reactionary right wing policies like supporting the supremacy of the City of London over British democracy and panders to hysterical appeals to racism from the right wing media who are secretly using it as part of a strategy to avoid paying their taxes globally?

That doesn't mean there are not any valid reasons for leaving.

The remain campaign is equally **** in the same kind of ways.
Reply 154
Original post by Fullofsurprises

The reptile conspiracy is real
bush did 9/11
Original post by EuanF
The reptile conspiracy is real
bush did 9/11

Bush is a reptile.
Proven./
Original post by james813
Nick Clegg lied that we had to join the EU or would go into recession and never be able to trade at the top again.

When did he say that?

Nick Clegg promised he would abolish tutition fees if he got into government, but instead raised them by £3,000. He managed to reduce the number of Lib Dem MPs from 60 to 8. So he's not the most trustworthy person to quote in support of bremain. Just some advice

And Nigel Farage is? That guy is at best as honest as a Clegg.
Original post by Foo.mp3
x

You know he's gone right?

You're effectively yelling into the void :unsure:
Original post by similarBlank
In the spirit of democracy and not being bias, which celebrity will be coming on TSR promoting the Leave campaign?

Bernie Sanders
woohoo Eddie has arrived at Reading and they'll be doing a live periscope of a debate at the uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending