The Student Room Group

GCSE/IGCSE Physics Quiz thread (All exam boards)

Now that the 1P Physics papers are near, I thought it'd be a good idea for people to revise from questions. Leave a physics question below, ill start,
Explain how terminal velocity is achieved.
What is meant by "Red Shift"?
Reply 2
Original post by CopyThat
What is meant by "Red Shift"?

Light shifts to the red spectrum when an object moves away from the observer? I dont think this is on the Edexcel syllabus so apologies for the "shift" explantion
Reply 3
Original post by PC.police
Now that the 1P Physics papers are near, I thought it'd be a good idea for people to revise from questions. Leave a physics question below, ill start,
Explain how terminal velocity is achieved.

when the force due to air resistance equals to force due to gravity, this will result in Fnet=0, terminal velocity achieved.
OO YAY this is gonna be useful (i hope)

DESCRIBE an experiment to find the refractive index of glass (this one comes up a lot) ~~4/5/6 marks(?)
Original post by mowglisroad
OO YAY this is gonna be useful (i hope)

DESCRIBE an experiment to find the refractive index of glass (this one comes up a lot) ~~4/5/6 marks(?)

Apparatus used is a light source and a rectangular glass block and a large piece of paper
Shine a light ray at an angle to the block, some of the light is reflected, but alot of it passes through the glass and gets refracted.

Trace the incident, refracted and emergent rays onto the paper, (start and end of rays) then join them up.
You should see that if light bends into a denser medium in moves towards he normal, this is because of it slowing down.
The emergent ray shows that its passing back into a less dense medium (air).
Measure the angles between the rays and normal to work out refractive index.
Mention the formula (Sin i/Sin r) it adds extra marks,
You dont need to mention repeat the experiment as it will always bee the same no matter what angle you shine the light at.

Most of this answer is knowledge, you dont need to mention it all just mention the key points.
Man I didnt know this before you mentioned it thanks for reminding us
Btw I got this from the cgp revision guide
Can you please explain the "Resonance Tube" to me? I'll really appreciate it.
Thank you!
x. :smile:
Original post by colourlessness
Can you please explain the "Resonance Tube" to me? I'll really appreciate it.
Thank you!
x. :smile:

Wait, is that even part of the spec

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending