The Student Room Group

Shouldn't only people of UK heritage be able to vote in the eu referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magicelephant
trying to twist my words. theres a study where the indigenous people of britain actually sure almost idenitcal dna. there is a clear distinction between someone who has lived in britain for 500 years and some polish skank who got in through the eu whos able to vote on britains future

Not trying to twist your words at all, but greater clairifiation would be helpful as you seem to talk about indigineous people, but really the population of the UK has been built up over time. You said 1000 years which would place us back in Anglo Saxon times, but they werent indigenous. The Queen isnt indigenous by your definition as they are really German.

You talk delightfully about Polish skank, but Poles arent able to vote?
trying to twist my words. theres a study where the indigenous people of britain actually sure almost idenitcal dna. there is a clear distinction between someone who has lived in britain for 500 years and some polish skank who got in through the eu whos able to vote on britains future

If you weren't so thick you'd know that Poles can't vote in the referendum and our historical links to Cyprus and Malta go well beyond the EU.

I also know a few Poles who can write correctly in English, unlike you.
well if u really wanna be a ****, the queen wont be able to vote anyway.

polish skanks who have uk citizenship and have no allegiance for britain will have the right to vote.

anglo saxons can vote, anyone whos family has been in britain for several hundreds of years can stay now **** off

Anglo-Saxons aren't indigenous to this island.
Original post by JamesN88
If you weren't so thick you'd know that Poles can't vote in the referendum and our historical links to Cyprus and Malta go well beyond the EU.

I also know a few Poles who can write correctly in English, unlike you.

um,... poles with uk citizenship can vote in the referendum

what ****ing relevance has our links with cyprus and malta got to do wit anything lmao?
um,... poles with uk citizenship can vote in the referendum

what ****ing relevance has our links with cyprus and malta got to do wit anything lmao?

Yeah, the fact that they're a UK citizen means they have the same rights as any other UK citizen. It's known as dual nationality.

I also was referring to non-indigenous people who are entitled to vote despite not being UK citizens.
Original post by 999tigger
How do you know they dont feel allegiance? If they get citizenship and are resident, then they can vote. You might wish to complain to your MP or the government.

What do you mean by new immigrants and indigineous people?

Last 5 years, last 10 or just brown people? Most of the UK population came from somewhere else. You mean the Ancient Britons?

I'd wager he has no idea what you're talking about.
Exactly, here's me thinking that Gaul, Galicia and Gaelic all sound similar by coincidence.:smile:

Ironically the Bretons are probably more ethnically British than a lot of English people. And they're officially French.
Original post by Anonymous
No. **** off

This.
No. **** off

What original Anonymous said.
surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?

Personally, I think they should let the descendants of Anglo-Saxons vote as well.
Original post by JamesN88
Anglo-Saxons aren't indigenous to this island.

I did know that, but at some stage someone becomes indigenous and he was swaying between 500 and 1000 years.

Im ok with UK passport holders resident here and the cut off point of 15 years.

Not so sure about Commonwelath though,
Original post by nulli tertius
Personally, I think they should let the descendants of Anglo-Saxons vote as well.

His point was indigenous, so people were just trying to decide what the indigenous population of the UK meant? It cant really be Anglo Saxons and has to be earlier.
It just means hardly anyone would be allowed to vote in the referendum, probably the OP as well.
So that would rule out the US born grandson of a Turk, Boris Johnson.
Original post by 999tigger
His point was indigenous, so people were just trying to decide what the indigenous population of the UK meant? It cant really be Anglo Saxons and has to be earlier.
It just means hardly anyone would be allowed to vote in the referendum, probably the OP as well.

Which was why I was making the facetious comment about letting Anglo-Saxons vote.
No. **** off

PRSOM. Interesting. I wonder if I can work out who you are...
Original post by nulli tertius
Which was why I was making the facetious comment about letting Anglo-Saxons vote.

Yep I think we all got that except for the OP.
Surely all the new immigrants who have gained citizenship will just vote to remain in the EU. surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?

Everyone who is going to vote to stay should be allowed a vote IMO. lol
Including 16&17 yr olds. I was shortchanged and I can't vote because I'm only 17
Original post by barnetlad

Dual citizenship though
You are aware the british isles entire history is of being conquered by or conquering other nations, any definition of UK heritage is going to be arbitrary at best.
Original post by barnetlad

But would it rule out the great grandson of an Irishman and a Japanese woman such as Ian Duncan Smith?

What about a descendent of French Huguenot refugees and penniless German immigrants such as Nigel Farage?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending