The Student Room Group

Oxbridge…

Was wondering, do people get in to places like Oxbridge to study Medicine with low A/B AS levels?

Considering that AS levels don't count towards final A2 levels?

Does anyone have experience of this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
What do they also say about resits of say 1/2 AS modules?
Hey there,
Since I believe the first batch of the new system hasn't quite arrived at the application stage, the waters for this are untested. I know that Cambridge is still a staunch believer of the accurate forecast of potential that the AS level provides. I am not sure about how Oxford feels about it, as they prefer to use GCSE's (in general) as an indicator of potential. There was a long press release from both unis at the time of the new A level system announcement that explained how they both would interpret it, so it's worth rummaging around the internet for those. Hope this helps. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply.

If someone applied having done well with their A2 grades (i.e. all A* having retaken one or two AS module tests) but with low A/B grades at AS level, is it likely that they would get in?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 4
Reply 5
BUMP

Original post by Bigbosshead
Reply 6
It's not just about your grades my mum works with someone who's son has straight A*s at both GCSE AND A-level but didn't get an interview at Cambridge

Truth be told, your work experience and personal statement mean just as much as your grades
Reply 7
Anyone know of anyone who has been in such a situation?
Reply 8
Thanks for your reply.

If someone applied having done well with their A2 grades (i.e. all A* having retaken one or two AS module tests) but with low A/B grades at AS level, is it likely that they would get in?

Thanks in advance.

If they applied having completed A2s, it's possible, but given that the majority of their applicants will achieve >3A*s, it's not special enough to make it "likely" they'd get in. For Oxford it would also depend on GCSEs, and both would want to see a high BMAT score and a good interview performance.
Was wondering, do people get in to places like Oxbridge to study Medicine with low A/B AS levels?

Considering that AS levels don't count towards final A2 levels?

Does anyone have experience of this?

Good morning :smile:

We spoke to both Oxford and Cambridge yesterday specifically about AS levels, and what stance they take on them given the new linear A level system coming into place.

Oxford admissions told us that they won't be considering AS levels...

Cambridge however, said that having an AS level would be to your advantage, and that they recommend taking a 4th AS level if your school offers AS levels. They also said that if you sit AS levels, you need to achieve grade A.

This information is based purely on our telephone conversation with these two universities, and it could be subject to change so if you want to double check with the unis - please do!

Hope you find the above useful,
The Medic Portal
Hi again, :smile:

By the way, new update on the above - we spoke to every Medical School in the UK to ask whether and how they will be considering AS levels for 2016 applications, and put all the information in a table - you can see it here!

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending