The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the 'Fat Acceptance Movement'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Did someone say that you can be obese slightly and still be healthy?

LMAO.

Talk about moronic.
No, I think it is a bunch of whining children who can't blame themselves for anything and deny science. I say that as somebody overweight
Original post by loveleest
what? why is that?
A lot of studies are biased

I'm sure the study was peer-reviewed.

Because anorexia has been clinically doagnosed as a disorder, obesity hasn't and probably never will be because it isn't.
Original post by Listers

LMAO.

Talk about moronic.

Tell me about it.

I had to refrain from being condescending and reply maturely. It was hard.
Original post by Listers

LMAO.

Talk about moronic.

I said slightly overweight, learn to ****ing read.
If you want to make a post about me then direct me.
Reply 25
Original post by Dodgypirate
Losing weight is a difficult and enduring process. No one is overweight "normally".

It said person us eating healthy but is still overweight, either they've just started their fat-burning diet or they're not eating healthy.

idk metabolic damage could **** your body up :dontknow:
Tell me about it.

I had to refrain from being condescending and reply maturely. It was hard.

But I never said "slightly obese" wtf?
I won't lie, being fat/obese is unattractive. I know that...but that is not the point.
I study psychology and obesity is a mental health issue, just like anorexia and it is often ignored as a mental health issue. It's like saying to anorexics "You are unhealthy, just eat more and you WILL gain weight" Do you know how insensitive it sounds? It just doesn't work like that.

That's one of the nonsense parts of psychology, and one of the most harming parts of pyschology.

'It's recognised officially by official people so you need loads of help before you can change yourself' - pretty much what you're saying.

Neither obesity nor anorexia are commonly caused by biological disorders. They're caused by people not learning to control their own habits. How do you change that? By teaching them how to change their habits. Not by putting them in some snobbish psychiatrist's office, so that they can tell them all about how their problem isn't their fault, and they shouldn't worry about it, and there's nothing wrong with them. The fact that that happens is exactly why we have so many people that are diagnosed with 'autism', even though really, they just need to be taught social skills, but because they've had the diagnosis; they think there's nothing they can do to help themselves. The whole system is very harmful to them.

(this is from the perspective of someone who was actually listed as having autism as a kid, and I was forced to keep saying that all the way through school, until I finally insisted on getting a new screening, and I passed because I've changed myself)

tldr; I really, really, hate all the nonsensical drivel that's being spread around by so-called Psychology experts these days. They put labels on everything, and insist that everyone should go through their special guidance procedures, which in reality do a lot more harm than just telling people to man up and sort themselves out.
Reply 28
I said slightly overweight, learn to ****ing read.
If you want to make a post about me then direct me.

You're the one who should learn to read because what I wrote was a question so thanks for clearing it up.
Original post by Jazzyboy
That's one of the nonsense parts of psychology, and one of the most harming parts of pyschology.

'It's recognised officially by official people so you need loads of help before you can change yourself' - pretty much what you're saying.

Neither obesity nor anorexia are commonly caused by biological disorders. They're caused by people not learning to control their own habits. How do you change that? By teaching them how to change their habits. Not by putting them in some snobbish psychiatrist's office, so that they can tell them all about how their problem isn't their fault, and they shouldn't worry about it, and there's nothing wrong with them. The fact that that happens is exactly why we have so many people that are diagnosed with 'autism', even though really, they just need to be taught social skills, but because they've had the diagnosis; they think there's nothing they can do to help themselves. The whole system is very harmful to them.

(this is from the perspective of someone who was actually listed as having autism as a kid, and I was forced to keep saying that all the way through school, until I finally insisted on getting a new screening, and I passed because I've changed myself)

tldr; I really, really, hate all the nonsensical drivel that's being spread around by so-called Psychology experts these days. They put labels on everything, and insist that everyone should go through their special guidance procedures, which in reality do a lot more harm than just telling people to man up and sort themselves out.

Why did you even bother telling me all of this? I never even said most of what you said. I really don't care lol, in the nicest way possible.
I don't think many people choose to be overweight, so it's discriminative to insult people based on their weight. I don't disagree with the Movement, but I don't think it's all that necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Quite a controversial topic.

I get where the activists are coming from, that we should accept people no matter what size they are and there should be no discrimination or intolerance towards them.

However, I do feel that informing overweight and obese people that they can do whatever they want is a leading cause of their self-delusion.

I hear a lot of complaints from the community claiming that they're being fired, earning less and not being hired because they're overweight. Somehow I understand why a company wouldn't want to hire them.

What are your thoughts?

It's importance to note that opposing discrimination and intolerance is not the same thing as acceptance or encouragement. Obviously you shouldn't discriminate against or be intolerant of someone because of their weight. But of course, obesity isn't healthy either so people should be encouraged (and I mean encouraged, not bullied) to make healthier lifestyle choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
I won't lie, being fat/obese is unattractive. I know that...but that is not the point.I study psychology and obesity is a mental health issue, just like anorexia and it is often ignored as a mental health issue. It's like saying to anorexics "You are unhealthy, just eat more and you WILL gain weight" Do you know how insensitive it sounds? It just doesn't work like that.
The only way mental health can directly affect obesity is cortisol production. But that's pretty limited on the grand scheme of factors in obesity. Like I said, practically speaking the only thing that matters is calories in vs calories out.
we should support obesity as much as we support anorexia
Reply 34
Original post by Jebedee
The only way mental health can directly affect obesity is cortisol production. But that's pretty limited on the grand scheme of factors in obesity. Like I said, practically speaking the only thing that matters is calories in vs calories out.

I hate it when people try and defend topics they simply have no idea about, doing it solely on the basis of it being trendy or the right thing to do.
Reply 35
I, personally believe that even though it is good to promote good attitudes towards ones body and being happy with ones body what ever shape or size it is. It is also a good idea to warn people of the risks of being overweight or considered obese.
This means that they shouldn't be targeted specifically for their weight but if deemed necessary they should have help and support from people instead of just telling them to 'Just eat healthy' because its not that easy...
Original post by Jazzyboy
Neither obesity nor anorexia are commonly caused by biological disorders. They're caused by people not learning to control their own habits.

You don't know the first thing about anorexia, do you? How ignorant and insulting can you get? It's a serious clinical mental health condition, what you've written is a complete falsehood. You might as well say that people with depression need to get a life or people with autism need to grow up.
I agree that someone shouldn't be discriminated against for their weight but I don't agree that being unhealthily overweight and obese should be accepted. Why make people think it's okay that their health is at a huge risk?
I think it is important to allow people to live their lives in the way they choose to wherever possible. If somebody wants to make the choices that make them fat that's fine, so we shouldn't be shaming them for making those choices (I'm aware that the notion of a choice is problematic but I have no interest in this becoming an essay). People who are obese should not, however, expect the world to adapt for them and we shouldn't pretend that being obese is a healthy. People should be as well informed as possible about the likely effects of the choices they make and then be free to make them.

The HAES movement has some very positive messages about the importance of lifestyle changes and such but suffers at the hands of those that openly promote it because many of them are clearly mentally ill and many lack willpower and/or are in the grips of considerable addictions. These people have a vested interest in creating a cultural environment that considers their behaviour normal so they lie about their health and what they eat and happily perpetuate the fairytale. This is obviously dangerous as it sells young people the idea that they should resign themselves to being obese and pay supposedly little to no penalty for it. That simply isn't the case. The reasons for the obesity epidemic and various though, and this kind of movement plays an incredibly small part in it.

As for employers discriminating against obese people, they shouldn't but they do. Part of the process of interviewing someone is forming an initial and then a general impression of them which will be informed by your own prejudices, opinions, motivations and experiences - that's how humans work. As much as somebody might try to disregard the apparent health of the person they are interviewing they may still subconsciously view that person as unhealthy which in terms of a hiring decision could mean a greater amount of days lost through sickness, more chance of long-term sick leave or the possible necessity of workplace adaptations. An interviewer may also, actively as not, consider an obese person to have less willpower, to be lazy, to be incapable of making good choices for themselves and all kinds of other things that will often not be in the least bit true. That's life - if somebody doesn't want to hire you they will invent an acceptable reason not to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Quite a controversial topic.

I get where the activists are coming from, that we should accept people no matter what size they are and there should be no discrimination or intolerance towards them.

However, I do feel that informing overweight and obese people that they can do whatever they want is a leading cause of their self-delusion.

I hear a lot of complaints from the community claiming that they're being fired, earning less and not being hired because they're overweight. Somehow I understand why a company wouldn't want to hire them.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with the fact that bigger people shouldn't be discriminated against or publicly shamed personally for being overweight, and I also agree with the fact that people who are even slightly on the bigger side shouldn't be called "fat" or judged and made fun of. It's probably very horrible for their confidence and it's sometimes the reason why they become obese in the first place, as they eat to feel better, but that's obviously not the case.

I also think however that we shouldn't promote obesity as acceptable as it can be a problem and can cause many health concerns, but even still no one should say to an obese person to their face, especially if they're a stranger, that "you're fat and no one will find you attractive ever again". There are so many better ways around trying to improve their lifestyle and shaming them harshly isn't the best way around it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit hypocritical:redface:

tl;dr - don't be mean to fat people personally, especially people who aren't fat but just bigger but also don't let obesity become considered healthy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending