The Student Room Group

Psychology AS Paper 2 RESIT (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by narcotica
This says it's the old spec but these topics are different to the AQA B Unit 2 paper I did today - did anyone do remembering & forgetting, social influence and anxiety disorders?

the unofficial mark scheme i have just put up is for PSY (A) aqa resit old spec not PSY (B)
Original post by Socychoictraphy
Stress (24 marks)
3(b). Who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress? Using psychological research to support your answer.

10(a). Outline the biological approach to psychopathology (6)

11(b). Identify an alternative psychological therapy Pavel could be treated with and explain why it would be effective (4)

Was unsure about these questions, would I get mark for these answers?

3b. Rena is more likely to experience negative events of stress as she is experiencing life events, life events are large long term stressors compared to Nicks short term daily hassles. The negative effects she could experience is becoming more susceptible to illness, this is evident as cohen found when exposing 394 ppts who experienced chronic stress to a cold virus, they were more likely to be ill. Therefore Rena would experience similar results as her immune system would be weakened

10a. (I started writing about BING factors but for some reason changed my mind and talked about biological therapies)
Bio approach suggests psychological disorders are a result of physiological processes in the body, therefore the treatment should be physical. Bio therapies target physiological processes such as functioning of neurotransmitters, hormones and parts of the brain.

Drug therapies involve adjusting neurochemical and hormonal imbalances involved in abnormal behavior. Drug therapies inc........ (talked about drug therpaies and what they do)

11b. (For this q I referred to REBT)
Ellis proposed that on his ABC model rational belief leads to positive outcomes. A negative event such as a snake phobia would stimulate fear. A more rational belief such as 'its only a small animal' leads to less fear' etc etc

Replacing irrational thoughts with more rational leads to more positive outcomes
Went well, the only questions I think I messed up on what the negative effects of stress.

Hopefully my bar chart is okay though also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hannah_lucy16
Such a good paper although the first questions did stump me! It was the opposite way around to the way I memorised them!! Found the questionnaire ethics to be the hardest because I had a total mind blank but it was only 2 marks thankfully! Hoping for an unofficial mark scheme soon!!!

i have posted an unofficial mark scheme :smile: (page 2)
i actually laughed out loud at the fear of snakes in the exam... and later talked to my teacher who also found it funny... phallic imagery?? especially how Freud would probably interpret that!!
I followed the unofficial mark scheme and worked out maybe a C/B. I really do hope so anyway I know it's unofficial but boy did I put in the work for this exam. I got an E last year so hopefully for sure I've beat that.

Good luck to us all for our other exams. Let's hope PSYA3/4 go as smoothly also ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jess_P
Did anyone else find the very last question a little strange? I talked about systematic desensitisation, but I wasn't quite sure if they wanted us to just outline it, or compare it and psychoanalysis haha, ah well only a 4 marker on an otherwise good paper

It said 'identify', so I just mentioned systematic desensitisation and then explained why it was a better method for snake-phobia-man
Reply 47
Original post by aimsnaywux
Went well, the only questions I think I messed up on what the negative effects of stress.

Hopefully my bar chart is okay though also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you do your graph??
Paper was hella easy besides the ethics/questionnaire 2 marker which I had to improvise!

Predicted the Obedience essay and biological approach :smile:
Original post by aimsnaywux
I followed the unofficial mark scheme and worked out maybe a C/B. I really do hope so anyway I know it's unofficial but boy did I put in the work for this exam. I got an E last year so hopefully for sure I've beat that.

Good luck to us all for our other exams. Let's hope PSYA3/4 go as smoothly also ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

the grade boundaries for this paper will probably be high as quite a few people found it quite easy compared to last year. also as it was just a resit paper, we are all in year 13 meaning we 'know' more, so we are all competing against each other to get the highest marks

thank you and good luck to you :smile:
Original post by cmr98
I did CBT too, hope its right :s-smilie: I found it to be quite a nice paper, but this is the first exam I've ever been close for time on, probably because I ended up writing on extra paper on the 12 marker cause I had so much to say about it, it was so much nicer than I was expecting :colondollar:

Yes you can do either CBT or systematic desensitisation
Original post by Saroona12susu
outline relating to the stem on snakes

It wasn't asking you to outline. It asked for 'identification' of the therapy, and explaining why the doctor would have thought it was better (e.g. based upon falsifiable evidence/theory, proven to be effective...)
Were we meant to draw the graph in pen or pencil?

Posted from TSR Mobile
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME (PLEASE reply if you spot a mistake)

Stress (24 marks)
1. Match the correct letter with the correct space for the pituitary-adrenal system and the sympathomedullary system (4)

Pituitary gland -> Adrenal cortex -> Cortisol/Corticosteroids released (Not 100% on this one)
Adrenal Medulla -> Adrenaline/Noradenaline released -> Increased heart rate/bloodpressure

Bold words are the ones needed to fill in - 1 mark per correct answer

2(a). Two strengths of using questionnaires in stress research (2+2)

1 mark for identification of strength + 1 for elaboration. For example:

Compared to interview they are easy to use (1 mark). The researcher doesn’t needany special training to hand out the questionnaires (2nd mark for elaboration).

People may be happier to disclose personal information on a questionnaire (1 mark)compared to a face-to-face situation (2nd mark for elaboration).

Participants can answer the questions without the need for the researcher to bepresent (1 mark) so reducing experimenter bias (2nd mark for elaboration).

If the questionnaire used closed questions which generate quantitative data, this iseasier to analyse (1 mark) than open questions which generate qualitative data whichis difficult to analyse (2nd mark for elaboration).

Can be given to a large group of people (1 mark). For each strength, 1 mark for identifying the strength and a further mark for explaining why itis a strength. The final bullet point is an example of a 1-mark answer as there is no explanation of why it is a strength.

2(b). One ethical issue of using questionnaires (2)

1 mark for correct identification of ethical issue concerning questionnaires + 1 mark for elaboration. For example:

One issue is protection from psychological harm (1) as asking participants on chronic stressors may evoke traumatic memories, causing distress (1)

3(a). Identify two daily hassles from the stem above (2)

Weather / Traffic

3(b). Who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress? Using psychological research to support your answer. (4)

Either Rina or Nick can be correct, provided answer is justified.
E.g) Nick -Suffers negative effects of stress as daily hassles are frequent and can build up over time. Ruffin et al found that daily hassles caused more chronic stress compared to life changes as they are persistent irritations. This is known as the accumulation effect as overtime minor stressors build up and lead to a stress overload. On the other hand, life changes are rare and infrequent.

4(a). Outline SIT as a psychological therapy for stress management(4)

Form of inoculating a person against the threat of stress. 3 main phases: conceptualization, skills acquisition + rehearsal, real-world application

4(b). Outline one or more limitations of SIT (4)

Unnecessarily complex
Requires motivation+effort

Social Psychology (24 marks)
5. Discuss research into obedience to authority (12)

AO1
Milgram - lab experiment - learner/teacher/authority figure
Discuss variations found
Conclusions

AO2
Evaluate methodologies used - lab experiment - pos/neg
Support - Hofling
Gender-bias
Ethical issues - deliberately deceived/right to withdraw removed

6. Identify one explanation for (Andy/Dylan/Alex?) conforming and justify your choice (2)

NSI/ISI/External LOC

7. Describe how minority influence can bring about social change (4)

Moscovici - Consistent minorities
Flexible, non-dogmatic
Snow-ball effect, social crypto-amnesia

8(a). Draw a bar chart with the data provided from the table (4)

Appropriately drawn graph, both axis fully labelled.

8(b). What do the results in the table show about conformity (2)

Females more likely to conform across all cultures

Individual Differences (24 marks)
9. Outline two definitions of abnormality (6)

Deviation from social norms/Failure to function adequately/Deviation from ideal mental health (Jahoda)

10(a). Outline the biological approach to psychopathology (6)

Mental disorders have a physical basis. Focus on genes/biochemistry/neuroanatomy/viral infection.
E.g: Biochemistry - Low serotonin - Depression - High serotonin - Anxiety
Link to treatments - Drug therapies

10(b). Evaluate the biological approach to psychopathology (4)

Individual not in control -> fatalistic -> unsuccessful treatments
Led to successful treatments - however drugs -> addiction
Szaz - biological model is inhumane - concept of mental illness way of excluding non-conformists

11(a). Describe how psychoanalysis would be used to help Pavel with his snake phobia (4)

Outline various techniques e.g. free association, dream-analysis, transference, therapist interpretation and how they would be beneficial for Pavel - link to STEM

11(b). Identify an alternative psychological therapy Pavel could be treated with and explain why it would be effective (4)

CBT/REBT/Systematic Desensitisation
E.g.- SD - Would allow Pavel to be gradually introduced to the snake using a desensitisation hierarchy. Counter conditioning - fear incompatible with relaxation - fear eventually dispelled

Predicted grade boundaries:
A: 58
B: 53
C: 48
D: 44
E: 40
Original post by Cal-lum
It wasn't asking you to outline. It asked for 'identification' of the therapy, and explaining why the doctor would have thought it was better (e.g. based upon falsifiable evidence/theory, proven to be effective...)

thats basically what I meant. I guess i didnt explain my answer properly. my bad
Original post by elllssss
Section A: Stress (24 marks total)
1 - the stress pathways (4)
2 - questionnaire two advantages (2+2)
3- ethical issues from using a questionnaire (2)
4- Nick and Rina question, who is more likely to experience the negative effects of stress, using research in your answer (4)
5- identify two daily hassles from stem (2)
6- explain SIT (4)
7- evaluate SIT (4)

Section B: Social (24)
1- discuss research for obedience of authority (12)
2- describe how minority can influence social change (4)
3- describe which conformity influence the guy doing work experience had (2)
3- draw the bar graph (4)
4- describe the results from the bar graph (2)

Section C: Abnormality (24)
1- describe two definitions for psychopathology (6)
2- describe the biological approach for abnormality (6)
3- evaluate the biological approach for abnormality (4)
4- describe how psychoanalysis may help Pavel and his snake fear (4)
5- another psychological therapy to treat Pavel and his snake fear (4)

@raaazia
Original post by sonnu
For the biological evaluation, would I get 4 marks if I wrote about side effects of drugs, treats symptoms not cause, ethical issues of drugs and that drugs are not effective for all types of people and all types of disorders

I think if you link it back to the approach so say "the effectiveness (or lack of) of drug therapy suggests that disorders must be in some way linked to a biological cause (or not)"
We're we meant to use pen or pencil for the graph??? Someone answer please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is cricket practise being cancelled considering a daily hassle as it is relatively minor so can't be considered a 'life event'
Original post by ItssCurtis
We're we meant to use pen or pencil for the graph??? Someone answer please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used pen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending