The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA A Geography 1 - 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IsThisTaken?
Does anyone know if there'll be stuff about other features associated with supervolcanoes on the restless earth bit? Like I've got notes about geysers and stuff that we've done in class but I don't want to waste time learning it cos I can't see it on the spec

global consequences?
Reply 121
Original post by willsp8
On my checklist you only need one example (the LEDC and MEDC bit isnt really significant, just thought I'd put it in there) but the earthquake needs both as a compare question could come up

do you know what potential topics that could come up or won't come up in this years exam
Original post by RNGeesus
whats an alternative case study for kielder water? it got predicted to come up but its not in my revision guide

Rutland Water:

-Created in the 1970s
-Covers 12km2 of land
-Uses the River Nene and River Welland
-Designed to supply the East Midlands with more water (Especially the rapid population growth in Peterborough)
-Used for recreation and as a nature reserve

Economic -
-Boots local economy, tourist attraction, wildlife and recreation
-Around 6km2 of land was flooded to create the reservoir so farmers lost their livelihood

Social
- Recreational activities
- Jobs have been created
- Used for educational trips
- In order to make it, two villages were flooded

Environmental -
- SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) protected wildlife
- 10,000s waterfowl and 100s of species of birds
- Variety of habitats
- Rutland Osprey Project
-Large area of land was flooded which destroyed some habitats

Sustainable Management -
Can only take as much as the two rivers supply, this was it can be looked after for future generations.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Any predictions for water on the land case studies????
Anyone know any predictions that will come up for restless earth, water on the land and weather and climate?
Reply 125
Original post by tangareen
What do you mean?
Like case studies?

Yh what case studies do u think
Any tips for answering comparing questions ???

I'll help you with some living world stuff (to help me revise stuff too, but you might not even be studying this topic but it may help others):

- Tropical rainforests - case study - Amazonian Rainforest - Biggest cause of deforestation = Cattle ranching. Others causes = Slash and Burn farming (locals clear land, vegetation burned provies ash= fertile soil, after the feritlity is exhausted, locals moves onto next areas, original area slowly regenerates) Roads to carry resources out of the amazon e.g. amazonian highway. Logging sought after wood, e.g. mahogany, exported to MEDC's. Ecotourism, e.g. ecolodge. Effects - loss of wildlife habitats, tribes driven form home, loss of medicines. Responses - Replanting trees, zoning (set aside areas for e.g. tourism, natural regeneration. Tropical rainforests appear along the equator as they receive more sun rays, this makes it very humid.

-Hot Deserts -case study - Sahara (LEDC) Australian Outback (MEDC) - Issues - Desertification (where more land becomes desert, soil blown away becomes useless for graze+crops) Overcultivation due to irrigation and salinity ( salts rise to the surface and toxicity causes them to die). Solutions should be sustainable farming methods. (cant be bothered writing anymore about hot deserts.)

-Temperate Deciduous Forest - case study - Epping Forest - uses - cleared for farming, felled for timber, used for recreational purposes. Sustainable - National trust conservation and protection of forest. Pollarding - cutting top branches to encourage new shoots.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IGCSETANK
Wouldn't revise Kielder water - came up last year.
Wouldn't revise tsunami - came up 2 years ago
Wouldn't revise management strategies ( coastal zone ) - came up last year
That's 3 less :smile:

DDo u mean coastal erosion management or coastal flood Management?CGP guide says coastal erosion management case study is Holderness.And Costal flood is Maldives(which never came up last year)

Thanks
Original post by tinyshadow0
Yh what case studies do u think

I think for:

Restless Earth...
Earthquakes = Kobe japan - MEDC, Sichuan China -LEDC
Volcanoes = Mount St.Helens
Super Volcanoes = Yellowstone National Park
Fold mountains = the Alps

Water on the land...
Flooding = Bangladesh Indian - LEDC, Tewkesbury UK - MEDC
UK Reservoir = Rutland water

Living World...
Hot deserts - Thar Desert Rajasthan - LEDC, Sonoran Desert Arizona USA- MEDC

That's all really I still need to learn the world ecosystems, but i can't remember them.
GUYS

What case studies(or 8 markers) do you think will come up for
1)Living World
2)Water on land
3)Coasts

Quote me please
Reply 132
I have geography B for AQA tomorrow - any ideas what to revise for that? :smile:
Original post by Blancosdos
GUYS

What case studies(or 8 markers) do you think will come up for
1)Living World
2)Water on land
3)Coasts

Quote me please

Water on the land im praying for flooding case study or formation of an oxbow

Living world my teacher predicts LEDC desert as its never been asked before
Original post by tinyshadow0
Water on the land im praying for flooding case study or formation of an oxbow

Living world my teacher predicts LEDC desert as its never been asked before

yeah thats all right.Same my teacher also said that for living on world

BTW any coasts predictions.
JUST TO HELP WITH SOME SHIZZLE

CASE STUDY: RIVER TEES ( FLOODING)
HARD ENGINEERING:
- 'Tees barrage' built in 1995, costing £54M, helps to reduce the risk of flooding, caused by local rock type and prolonged rainfall for example, at very high tides by acting as a barrier.
- Cutting of meanders in 1810, across the neck of the large mandale loop near Stockton, created a shorter route for the river allowing the water to move faster along the channel, thus reducing the risk of flooding.
- Yarm's flood defense scheme, also built in 1995 costing a total of £2.1M. This included gabions (baskets filled with stones) and reinforced concrete walls to act as a barrier from flooding.
-Cow Green reservoir, a 2 mile long reservoir built between 1967 - 1971, holds 40M tonnes of water, further helping to reduce the risk of flooding by decreasing the discharge of the river.

SOFT ENGINEERING:
-Improved flood defense warning systems as they are now have better liaison with the meteorological office, police and other emergency services, helping to reduce reaction time, thus reducing the number of deaths and reducing strain on healthcare.
-New development on low lying land and flood prone land is discouraged, an example of land use zonation. Instead land is used for activities not damaged by inundation, such as playing fields/ parks.

GUARANTEE THIS WILL GIVE YOU 8/8.
ANYTHING ELSE I WILL POST AS SOON AS I SEE IT.
:smile:.
Original post by benmorris6
Tomorrow I am sitting the higher paper. Feeling fairly ready, but does anybody have any revision tips for now, the night before? The modules I am doing are: Restless Earth; Water on the Land; Coastal Zones.

I was also thinking of watching a geography-related film tonight. Any recommendations which would be better than 'San Andreas' starring The Rock?

Try a revision video. I'm not sure how useful a film would be.

I am currently listening to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9SSld0OqWc

Its okay but it is definitely good for recall...
MEANDERS:
-Water's velocity on the outside of the river is faster, due to deeper current and so lower friction, so more erosion( Via Hydraulic action, Abrasion and Attrition) takes place on the outside of bend, forming river cliffs.
-Water's velocity is lower on the inside of the river is slower, due to shallower channel and so higher friction, so more deposition takes place, forming slip off slopes.
-This causes river to bend, forming a meander.
Geography is my one subject that just feels right, ive managed an a* every test , and think the most important thing you can do is revise your case study facts. Im doing the restless earth, ice on the land and the coastal zone. Just making sure i know every key term aswell, and especially formations. You should be okay with annotating oictures etc, its just answring the 8 markers which gains you the most marks
Super volcanoes and volcanoes in general came up last year- will they repeat it again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending