The Student Room Group

Funding For a second degree in paramedic science?

Hi,
I'm studying for a physics degree at the moment and am enjoying it but want to be a paramedic, would I be able to get a loan for student finance to fund a second degree, or do the NHS fund paramedic science degree and give burserys ect, or would I have to fund it myself?
Don't the ambulance service pay for that themselves if you sign up at technician EMT level?
Reply 2
Original post by abbie_brown33
Hi,
I'm studying for a physics degree at the moment and am enjoying it but want to be a paramedic, would I be able to get a loan for student finance to fund a second degree, or do the NHS fund paramedic science degree and give burserys ect, or would I have to fund it myself?

Original post by nathan2k1
Don't the ambulance service pay for that themselves if you sign up at technician EMT level?

With the LAS, if you join as an EAC (the new name for EMT) you do a 15 week classroom based training course. Many people fail at this stage because there is a lot to learn and not much time to do it and there are lots of exams. You also do the driving course which involves knowing all road signs word perfect to the highway code (eg "area in which cameras are used to enforce traffic regulations" and "no entry for vehicular traffic". Some are easier, like "cattle" but then it's easy to be tempted to write "cattle in this area" because it seems too easy.) During this training you're paid £14000 to live in London, and the training is usually far away so you have high travel costs.
Then after that you do further on the road training.
Then once you've completed that you do a qualification year on the road. You go out as a normal ambulance crew and are expected to know what you're doing. Your pay does increase, but you can be sent anywhere in London. Even Brixton.

After you have completed all of that you can start thinking about applying for a paramedic course. They're short of hundreds of paramedics, so there must be loads of spaces available, right? Well, for the last course they took on 18. Yes, eighteen people from the whole of London, the busiest ambulance service in the UK.

So yeah, you can join at EMT level and get your fees paid, but it's unlikely.
I suppose that is where public service workers in the capital need not only a financial uplift but also other incentives such as access to proper housing - there used to be a public worker housing scheme which guaranteed lower levels of social housing rent levels called the key worker scheme - whether this is still available I don't know. £14k for that area is not really acceptable even as an EMT / EAC, but going straight into a student paramedic position and going straight onto the degree might not be advised either I suppose, unless you know what you might be getting into.

On that ending I suppose first aid, basis life support, aed training and volunteering in those roles with SJA/BRC or even private companies might give you are good taster. Personally having done 2 years in ambo control and all of the above, I can say that the operational roles appear to be somewhat career satisfactory but you have to balance that out with pay, benefits and other work stresses that you might come across before you are set free so to speak.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
My husband wants to be a Paramedic, he is currently about to start an Emergency and Rescue Management Foundation degree, as he is unable to get onto a Paramedic Science course. (Not enough qualifications for our local university.)
He works in Healthcare and also voluntarily as a Community First Responder. The head of the First Responders who ran the course informed him that it would be better for him to go in as an Emergency Care Assistant (ECA) and work up that way, as he won't get funding for a second degree and the NHS don't fund it.
She did say that to be considered for the ECA job role you now have to have your C1 licence before applying. (This is for SWAST.)
hi there my friend got NHS funding for her paramedic science degree shes also a registered nurse so shes had NHS funding before to pay for the course. only thing she get is the living costs but what you should look into is the new 19 plus advanced loan they may help you. I know NHS funding is still the way it goes? it may be being stopped soon tho i think.
Reply 6
I've been really looking into this this week and speaking to people about it.

From what I have now been told, similar to what Angeleyes says is that the NHS will pay your TUITION fees for your degree, even if you have another degree but the Paramedic Science degrees do NOT attract the NHS Bursaries, (so the NHS equivalent of a maintenance loan).
However, you can apply for a maintenance loan from Student Finance England instead.
But you can't get another maintenance loan out if you have already had one. If, however, you are still in your first year of your Physics degree then you can still get the full three years funding of Maintenance loans.
You are eligible for whatever length of time your degree is plus one year, which Student Finance calls the "gift year".
I was also told that Healthcare grants etc are all being looked into in August 2017 in the Government's spending review, so could be subject to more cuts etc.
Hopefully that makes sense to you. I don't understand why it has to be so confusing!!
Original post by trowe87
I've been really looking into this this week and speaking to people about it.

From what I have now been told, similar to what Angeleyes says is that the NHS will pay your TUITION fees for your degree, even if you have another degree but the Paramedic Science degrees do NOT attract the NHS Bursaries, (so the NHS equivalent of a maintenance loan).
However, you can apply for a maintenance loan from Student Finance England instead.
But you can't get another maintenance loan out if you have already had one.
If, however, you are still in your first year of your Physics degree then you can still get the full three years funding of Maintenance loans.
You are eligible for whatever length of time your degree is plus one year, which Student Finance calls the "gift year".
I was also told that Healthcare grants etc are all being looked into in August 2017 in the Government's spending review, so could be subject to more cuts etc.
Hopefully that makes sense to you. I don't understand why it has to be so confusing!!

This isn't correct.

As a graduate, if you apply to a second degree which is NHS funded (i.e. tuition fees paid by NHS) you are eligible for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance. It won't be as much as you got during your first degree but it's still worth applying for.

I'm a graduate (had full maintenance loans, bursaries and fee funding for a non-NHS first degree) starting a second degree in Physiotherapy which is NHS funded (fees paid for & the full NHS bursary) and I am getting a reduced rate maintenance loan - I researched all of this for a year before I even applied - most of the people you speak to over the phone at student finance don't have much of a clue about this so do your own research - if you google it you'll find it. Apply for everything even if you're not sure you're eligible - the info can be confusing and the people on the phone aren't always as knowledgeable as you could be if you do your own research.
(edited 7 years ago)
There are a few courses that are funded but it's on a uni by uni basis. Swansea for example gets a partial bursary and your fees are paid by NHS Wales.
Otherwise some places such as West Midlands and East of England ambulance services do student paramedic jobs where you are paid and work whilst you train.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by somethingbeautiful
This isn't correct.

As a graduate, if you apply to a second degree which is NHS funded (i.e. tuition fees paid by NHS) you are eligible for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance. It won't be as much as you got during your first degree but it's still worth applying for.

I'm a graduate (had full maintenance loans, bursaries and fee funding for a non-NHS first degree) starting a second degree in Physiotherapy which is NHS funded (fees paid for & the full NHS bursary) and I am getting a reduced rate maintenance loan - I researched all of this for a year before I even applied - most of the people you speak to over the phone at student finance don't have much of a clue about this so do your own research - if you google it you'll find it. Apply for everything even if you're not sure you're eligible - the info can be confusing and the people on the phone aren't always as knowledgeable as you could be if you do your own research.

Generally true unfortunately, I have spoken to many people and looked at many websites with quite conflicting results. Although I never found any mention of reduced loans, just that you were ineligible if you had had them before. The man I spoke to, on the phone, explained that this was so Student's didn't have a ridiculous amount of debt..... To be honest it's still pretty ridiculous anyway.
But at least the majority was correct! My husband will be pleased he can get some more maintenance loans. We had no idea what we were going to do otherwise.
Reply 10
Just seen that as of 2017 the NHS will no longer be giving out bursary's or Tuition fee loans for the healthcare degrees anymore :frown:
Apparently the government "should" be allowing students to still take out Tuition fee loans and Maintenance loans for these degrees, even if they have already done one degree.
Finally figure out how it works and then its apparently all changing!! :frown:

http://www.councilofdeans.org.uk/2015/11/the-2015-spending-review-changes-to-nursing-midwifery-and-ahp-education-background-information-for-students/

Quick Reply

Latest