The Student Room Group

Ocr B (advancing physics) g491 resit - 24th may 2016

Couldn't find a thread for it so decided to make one , how is everyone feeling for the resit ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like I'm going to do better than last year. This year I actually know what I'm doing, so I'm fairly confident about this exam. I'm just hoping it will be a nice paper, as some of the past papers are straightforward while others are really difficult!

My Physics teacher seems to think this module is easy, and he's probably right. After all, we've done much harder stuff in the later modules!
Reply 2
Original post by dangull
I feel like I'm going to do better than last year. This year I actually know what I'm doing, so I'm fairly confident about this exam. I'm just hoping it will be a nice paper, as some of the past papers are straightforward while others are really difficult!

My Physics teacher seems to think this module is easy, and he's probably right. After all, we've done much harder stuff in the later modules!

I feel pretty similar like after doing the A2 stuff it seems a lot easier but I'm getting good marks in past papers like I did last year then I failed it on the day! I'm doing to redo last years paper now and see if I've improved and then go from there but the paper could be anything because it's the last year of the spec
Reply 3
Feel fairly confident however looking at papers like 2014 anything can come up.
Reply 4
Original post by Ssachak
Feel fairly confident however looking at papers like 2014 anything can come up.

Yeah , the worst part is the boundaries don't shift much at all a few marks at best so I don't want to get too confident that I become complacent
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vish.handa
Yeah , the worst part is the boundaries don't shift much at all a few marks at best so I don't want to get too confident that I become complacent

Yeah completely agree, I am predicting around 46 for an A looking at the trends of past papers.
Anyone got any POINTERS for the exam?
Haven't even looked at Physics since last year, regretting it now!! Praying for a miracle here, fingers crossed😂
Anyone else find that hard? A lot of basic stuff but that 4 marker on Internet and the last question 😱💀🔫
Reply 9
Did anyone else struggle with the conductance question? I think it was question 4, where we there was a 4x20 array of atoms. I took the length to be 20 * 0.38E-9 and the width to be 4 * 0.38E-9.

As G = σA / L, am I right in assuming that G = σ * width ? Using this, I got a conductance of about 5E-5 S, which was not the 25E-6 S it asked for. I can't remember the value of the conductivity in the question, but perhaps it was wrong?
Reply 10
For the conductance question, you will have put the area wrong, the area was the width worked out in part I multiplied by the diameter of an atom, which gave you the result of 25x10^-6 S. The canoe and internet sections took a bit of thinking, but honestly I thought that this was the easiest paper that I have ever done for G491, and I'm not too worried. The grade boundaries will probably be in the region of 40-46 for an A.
Reply 11
Original post by dangull
Did anyone else struggle with the conductance question? I think it was question 4, where we there was a 4x20 array of atoms. I took the length to be 20 * 0.38E-9 and the width to be 4 * 0.38E-9.

As G = σA / L, am I right in assuming that G = σ * width ? Using this, I got a conductance of about 5E-5 S, which was not the 25E-6 S it asked for. I can't remember the value of the conductivity in the question, but perhaps it was wrong?

Yes I did at first but the area was the width multiplied by the height the width being 4*0.38E-09 and the height being 0.38E-09. That is your area and the length is 20*0.38E-09.
Reply 12
I thought that was a kind paper. Some twitchy bum questions like the canoe one but apart from that all good.
Reply 13
Yeah I got the same thing mate. Wrote it down and said it was roughly 25 since its at least the same power of ten, fingers crossed lmao
Reply 14
Original post by dangull

I used the formula you did, but for the cross sectional area I did 4 * (0.38 * 10^-9) * 0.38 * 10^-9 again because that was the width of one atom, and the length was 20 * ( 0.38 * 10^-9). I got roughly 2.51 * 10^-5 which is 25.1 Micro Siemens.
Reply 15
it was a bit of a weird paper and I didn't understand why the easiest questions were on the last page.
Reply 16
Internet one killed me 😣 thought the rest was okay personally
Yah, I went back to the internet/power one after doing the circuitry on the last page, and realised that actually it was fairly simple (there was some context about there being 1000 hubs in the description, which wasn't in the table), but at this point I'd run out of time. Probably scored 0 on that, but that was my only large issue. Went well mostly.

Also that glass canoe sounded hilarious.
Reply 18
Original post by MattDark
For the conductance question, you will have put the area wrong, the area was the width worked out in part I multiplied by the diameter of an atom, which gave you the result of 25x10^-6 S. The canoe and internet sections took a bit of thinking, but honestly I thought that this was the easiest paper that I have ever done for G491, and I'm not too worried. The grade boundaries will probably be in the region of 40-46 for an A.

Ah, that would be it. Come to think of it my answer is out by a factor of 20.

Personally, I found that to be one of the harder exams. I can't really place how well I've done, although I do think I've done better than last year!

I found the Internet section fine, and the canoe one wasn't that bad. It's just some of the other questions, like the one about sensors, that I'm worried about. It was the only thing I didn't revise!
I loved the whole paper up until the internet question and that last question! I knew all of the circuit equations but I just couldn't get them to work for the given circuits! Anyone else with me on that or did my brain just completely fail me?!

Quick Reply

Latest