The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology resit 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dappteman
Fair enough my teacher has told everyone in our year that a knowledge of in depth studies not only is an easy way to secure marks at A01 but is necessary To do be better at AS.
But to be fair he's pretty S***.

Even says it in the revision guide
'Avoid long descriptions of studies' basically short and snappy
LETTS textbook complete study and revision guide for As and A2

There's better out there, the textbook by Rob Webb is good as it just follows the AQA Spec
My tutor/teacher said New Right can't come up for a 20 marker question just so you all know :smile: It's not a big enough topic - Social policy came up last year which is to do with marketizartion she said it is likely that it could come up for the 12 marker
Original post by xxvine
Even says it in the revision guide
'Avoid long descriptions of studies' basically short and snappy

Original post by ijonny245
There's better out there, the textbook by Rob Webb is good as it just follows the AQA Spec

Great thanks lads for the heads up. Its probably to late to get another textbook and I'm not going to go against the AQA spec especially if you have gone to a conference about essay technique.
Its also remember to include Bourdieu - cultural capital in social class and AO2 is Gerwitz (Middle class parents understand the marketization of education)
Great thanks lads for the heads up. Its probably to late to get another textbook and I'm not going to go against the AQA spec especially if you have gone to a conference about essay technique.

Hey! No worries. Yup, you're right, you probably have left it a bit late now to get a half decent, factually correct textbook. So, you can only hope for the best 'lad'

P.S I've never been to an AQA conference about essay technique. In fact, i didn't even know such things existed, maybe you should've gone along, eh?
Original post by Fraserulysses
Its also remember to include Bourdieu - cultural capital in social class and AO2 is Gerwitz (Middle class parents understand the marketization of education)

Yeah, Bordieu is good. Can almost bring him into anything regarding inequalities in Education
Hey! No worries. Yup, you're right, you probably have left it a bit late now to get a half decent, factually correct textbook. So, you can only hope for the best 'lad'

P.S I've never been to an AQA conference about essay technique. In fact, i didn't even know such things existed, maybe you should've gone along, eh?

I went to one with my sixth form
It was like a session with one of the examiners and he was just going over things etc
You confident for tomorrow
I'm actually scared haha especially with methods
Original post by xxvine
Don't even need to mate
You shouldn't write long para's on studies. Examiners hate that. AQA conference we went to said no more than 3 lines.
Just need to say what it shows

Hey! No worries. Yup, you're right, you probably have left it a bit late now to get a half decent, factually correct textbook. So, you can only hope for the best 'lad'P.S I've never been to an AQA conference about essay technique. In fact, i didn't even know such things existed, maybe you should've gone along, eh?
Whoa calm down no need for the venom and i was quoting XXvine who had previously talked about a conference that he went to. I'm sorry if there was any confusionAnyway Good Luck for tomorrow
Whoa calm down no need for the venom and i was quoting XXvine who had previously talked about a conference that he went to. I'm sorry if there was any confusionAnyway Good Luck for tomorrow

All calm here mate, no problem. The same to you too, i will have a giggle if Pryce turns up and is actually a Marxist :wink:
Original post by xxvine
It was like a session with one of the examiners and he was just going over things etc

Yeah I'm pretty worried about the exam to be fair but there is no point getting worried about it now better to go in with a clear head and get on with it.
Original post by xxvine

Well there you go, you learn something new everyday! To be fair I am not too nervous, compared to A2 and all of the confusing theories it can't be that hard, right? Methods in Context is a bit of a swine, especially trying to entwine the topic/context :frown:
Yeah I'm pretty worried about the exam to be fair but there is no point getting worried about it now better to go in with a clear head and get on with it.

Exactly
That's the way forward
Well there you go, you learn something new everyday! To be fair I am not too nervous, compared to A2 and all of the confusing theories it can't be that hard, right? Methods in Context is a bit of a swine, especially trying to entwine the topic/context :frown:

Just quickly if Marxist comes up what would you evaluate tt against
Functionalism?
I feel like I'm revising now but nothing is going in. I don't know when to just stop and go to bed :laugh:

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be fine! (It should be better than last year because there'll be no social policy essay :crossedf:)
Functionalism (new right also), feminism and post modernism
Original post by xxvine
Just quickly if Marxist comes up what would you evaluate tt against
Functionalism?

Yeah, pretty much Marx Vs Func/New Right -
There's a few parallels between the two, e.g Func believe education to be meritocratic (Parsons) whereas Marx see it as a myth (Bowles and Gintis).
Functionalist believe in Role Allocation whereas Marx believes it is getting the subject class ready for a life under Fordist principles etc, etc . . .
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I feel like I'm revising now but nothing is going in. I don't know when to just stop and go to bed :laugh:

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be fine! (It should be better than last year because there'll be no social policy essay :crossedf:)

Social policy is kinda easy lol
I messed up last year because of timing...wrote two likes for the last question so that dragged me down.
Would prefer social policy than functionalism tbb
Yeah, pretty much Marx Vs Func/New Right -
There's a few parallels between the two, e.g Func believe education to be meritocratic (Parsons) whereas Marx see it as a myth (Bowles and Gintis).
Functionalist believe in Role Allocation whereas Marx believes it is getting the subject class ready for a life under Fordist principles etc, etc . . .

See you know you stuff haha
Original post by xxvine
See you know you stuff haha

I can grasp the Role and Social Policy because they're pretty simple to follow but gender, ethnicity and class is a more complicated to follow because of the theorists which can be so easily mixed up, especially for material and cultural deprivation :-(

Quick Reply

Latest