The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Hey guys! Quick question: do we HAVE to include analysis for both of the suggested bullet points in the 10 mark question? Because they usually say "You MAY include:...." which suggests that you don't need to. Thanks in advance!

Its only a guide i think, but unless youre really stuck on one you should answer them!
how many points would you put for the 10 marker?
Original post by Crobby
i only started revising this afternoon! :s-smilie: I think ive learnt the death of pliny but I need to learn day in the life and arria now! I also have to revise for drama exam which i have just before latin :frown:

Is it the AQA Drama exam? Those exams are absolute hell!
Original post by exams2
how many points would you put for the 10 marker?

Typically aim for 6-8 points for the 10 marker, with really solid analysis.
Hey guys! Quick question: do we HAVE to include analysis for both of the suggested bullet points in the 10 mark question? Because they usually say "You MAY include:...." which suggests that you don't need to. Thanks in advance!

As my teachers often say- if it says "may" in an exam, it means "should". Aim to put in everything you possibly can which seems relevant and links with what you "may" include :smile:
Original post by TeenPolyglot
As my teachers often say- if it says "may" in an exam, it means "should". Aim to put in everything you possibly can which seems relevant and links with what you "may" include :smile:

Haha, thank you :tongue: Good luck for tomorrow! I just pray Arria doesn't come up for the 10 marker...!
Haha, thank you :tongue: Good luck for tomorrow! I just pray Arria doesn't come up for the 10 marker...!

Some years, I believe they have 2 10 markers.

Yeah. I don't know either.

But I'm hoping it won't too!
Some years, I believe they have 2 10 markers.

Yeah. I don't know either.

But I'm hoping it won't too!

They definitely don't have 2 ten markers
Reply 169
It all made sense, but it was difficult in a few respects. There were a fair few words which I had personally never seen before- 'inrupit', which apparently means 'he violated/he broke in'.

Also, did anyone definitely get what the clause with 'tum ventrem suum Anceto offerens exclamavit', or whatever it was, means?

I couldn't work out where the offerens came in, due to the fact Anceto was not in the nominative, yet he was the one that had caused Agrippina to die...

I think it meant; then offering her stomach to Ancetus, she shouted....
Original post by Masama
I think it meant; then offering her stomach to Ancetus, she shouted....

It seems so. It's always obvious when you come out of the exam...
How did you guys find prose (Pliny??) Am I the only one who thought the 10-marker was really hard for style points???
Original post by 14Abbott
How did you guys find prose (Pliny??) Am I the only one who thought the 10-marker was really hard for style points???

I found it quite hard too because I didn't find too many techniques...I just put in small Latin quotes, translated them and tried to analyse and I think I did 5 points - is that enough?
Original post by pinksplodge
I found it quite hard too because I didn't find too many techniques...I just put in small Latin quotes, translated them and tried to analyse and I think I did 5 points - is that enough?

I found it quite easy.... there were many alliterations, assonances, vivid present, anaphora, polyptotons etc...
5/6 can be enough if they are really well developped
Reply 175
the grade boundary is the same no matter what text you do right? Was pliny hard?
Reply 176
I also did Pliny..

was huic referring to Arria's son?

I only put 4/5 style points for the 10 markers as with the 8 marker so I am hoping it shouldn't get my grade down too severely?
Everyone prepared for tomorrow?

I'm feeling okay.

If it is just all about A Day In The Life of Pliny The Elder, then I'm happy.

Hi TeenPolyglot! How did you find the lit? OH MY GOSH THE DAY IN THE LIFE CAME UP AS THE 10 MARK QUESTION! I was soooo happy (as you can probably from my capitalisation 😏😂😂)! For the one about the darkness in The Death piece, I put juxtaposition instead of antithesis for 'alibi, illic'. Is this right? Also for the 8 marker what points did you make? Thanks! :h:
Hi TeenPolyglot! How did you find the lit? OH MY GOSH THE DAY IN THE LIFE CAME UP AS THE 10 MARK QUESTION! I was soooo happy (as you can probably from my capitalisation 😏😂😂)! For the one about the darkness in The Death piece, I put juxtaposition instead of antithesis for 'alibi, illic'. Is this right? Also for the 8 marker what points did you make? Thanks! :h:

Day in the life????? My ten mark question was from Death of Pliny! :/
Original post by KieraBQ
I also did Pliny..

was huic referring to Arria's son?

I only put 4/5 style points for the 10 markers as with the 8 marker so I am hoping it shouldn't get my grade down too severely?

That's what I wrote. I think I only put 4 points down too and I am not even sure if all of them count, I hope it will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending