The Student Room Group

Birkbeck, Royal Holloway, or Surrey for MSc in sustainability/management/CSR?

I'm an international student and am only familiar with UK schools from what i've read online. I've received offers from the following programs:

University of Surrey - MSc Corporate Environmental Management
Royal Holloway - MSc Sustainability and Management
Birkbeck - Msc Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability

They are all fairly similar programs, so I am having trouble deciding. I'm leaning towards Surrey right now, mostly because in all the rankings i've seen online it's ranked highest. I would love to hear from people who might be more familiar with these schools and their reputations (internet research can only get me so far).
Original post by KET35
I'm an international student and am only familiar with UK schools from what i've read online. I've received offers from the following programs:

University of Surrey - MSc Corporate Environmental Management
Royal Holloway - MSc Sustainability and Management
Birkbeck - Msc Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability

They are all fairly similar programs, so I am having trouble deciding. I'm leaning towards Surrey right now, mostly because in all the rankings i've seen online it's ranked highest. I would love to hear from people who might be more familiar with these schools and their reputations (internet research can only get me so far).

Hey there.

I just graduated from Royal Holloway's MSc Sustainability and Management in December. I found this to be a really engaging course and I really liked that it was taught jointly between the Department of Geography and the School of Management, as this allowed us to gain an interdisciplinary understanding of sustainability and its place within business.

I was drawn to there being strong research interests surrounding sustainability more generally at Royal Holloway, and the university has its own Centre for Research into Sustainability (CRIS) in which an international group of researchers and educators actively engage with the understanding of organisational responses to the multiple facets of sustainability.

I was also drawn to the fact that Royal Holloway is part of the University of London, and felt that this would provide greater scope should I choose to work internationally later in my career.

Overall I had a very positive experience on this course and found that it developed my interests and understanding of sustainability. Feel free to ask me any more questions about this course!

Camilla :smile:
Reply 2
Hey Camilla, Did you consider the programme at Bath University?
Reply 3
I think go for Birkbeck, I studied at Surrey and yes it is a nice university but the area is very quiet. You will be in London, the greatest city in the world and have a degree under the University of London banner, which also helps for jobs in foreign countries.

I know a few people who gave up good offers at top universities just to experience London. Birkbeck is also a great university with a more mature community, so you will definitely enjoy it there.

Quick Reply

Latest