The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tbh as much as my parents have had their faults in raising me, I couldn't just leave them like that. As they get older, I'll try to persuade them to move next to my house (buy them a house even) and if it comes to the point where they aren't able to do things like they used to, tell them to move in with me (my kids will have moved out by then anyway) and I'll drop some hours of work.

The thought of my parents turning frail and old is making me cry though
I luv luv luv animals but I would never throw my parents out I will find a way to keep them both cuz both are really near and dear to me!!!!:smile:
Reply 62
Original post by ZuluK
Parents who abuse their children are horrible humans. But in their old age, when they are unable to care for themselves, the child shouldn't forsake them. They should look after the parent and help them. The child shouldn't end up with regrets once the parent has passed. It's difficult but no I don't agree animals should be put in front of parents, no matter how bad.

I think this will be a case of, lets agree to disagree.

This.
Why would you put your parents in a place where strangers are paid to care.
Not to mention the cases of neglect and abuse that goes on in there.
I wouldn't even think twice about being a full time carer if I had to.
I genuinely feel sorry for some of the parents of people on here.
Although I don't support putting your parents in a home, I understand why someone would do it.

Not everyone has the time and/or resources to look after the elderly, who in some cases require constant looking after. It's also a sad job to do, if you're taking care of your parents who've lost the ability to take care of themselves. The job is definitely not as easy as some of you may think it is; plus not every child is fit to be a carer.

PS: Stop insulting each other, it's unnecessary.
Why would I choose some dirty animal over my parents??🤔🤔🤔
Original post by Malayali Ali
Then they've kinda wasted their life then haven't they. As Asians our whole lives are planned by our elders and our community so that we are effectively a cog serving the wider wheel of family and community. Our marriages are planned so that the relevent suitor is from a mutually similarly sort of background of decent standing, our education and careers are planned likewise so that they have solid prospects for the future and are lucrative and of ultimately when we come of age it is our duty to pay due diligence to the ones that helped us get there. As opposed to westerners who indulge in every whim and desire going and apply these misguided notions of fairness, freedom and democracy when in reality its just instant gratification they are trying to legitimise. If you have lived your entire life and haven't gathered enough wisdom and resources to support the people that made you then what the hell is your existence for; effectively you're just an animal.

Lol at this.
Original post by ZuluK
Parents who abuse their children are horrible humans. But in their old age, when they are unable to care for themselves, the child shouldn't forsake them. They should look after the parent and help them. The child shouldn't end up with regrets once the parent has passed. It's difficult but no I don't agree animals should be put in front of parents, no matter how bad.

I think this will be a case of, lets agree to disagree.

I completely disagree. If parents abuse their children, they should be shouldn't be treated specially just because of blood relations. It's ridiculous to expect people to respect and care for people who've done nothing to care for them.
To have a caretaker take care of their parents. I always seen it in movies though. My grandma lives with her daughter's family except they're not American. I always joke with my parents that I'll send them to retirement homes although I'll never consider it.

I guess house pets are easier and cheaper to provide for and take care of. OP typed his questions just fine. Sure he had one minor error but overall, its English. I guess the OP meant is why do Westerners keep their pets at home and send their elderly parents away from home. No need to get defensive.
Original post by Malayali Ali
Put their elderly parents in a home but keep animals in their home.

Why they are doin these fings?

Are you a muslim malayali. I haven't seen one in my life
Reply 69
Original post by Redflag99
Are you a muslim malayali. I haven't seen one in my life

You haven't seen a Muslim in your lifetime?
We're back on the topic again. Nah people who value the lives of some dirty animal over that of their parents are enemies of mankind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spidle
You haven't seen a Muslim in your lifetime?

A Muslim malayali. I have seen christian malayalis and hindu malayalis. but not a muslim malayali. If you don't know what a malayali is, look at the link below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayali
There is an element of selfishness to it, as I have seen how lonely some elderly people in care homes are and always hear about incidents of abuse. I hope to take care of my parents when they are old, or at least see them regularly and make sure they are in safe hands.

But then again, sometimes the children do not get along with their parents at all. If they were the type of parents who didn't support their kids and left them to fend for themselves once they turned 18 then can you really blame the kids?
Reply 73
Original post by Konahagakure
We're back on the topic again. Nah people who value the lives of some dirty animal over that of their parents are enemies of mankind.

Well said.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Since when is providing a pet a loving home a bad thing?

I can't stand douches like you who think animals are nothing but dumb burdens to the world and so don't deserve a home.

And btw fix your English. I doubt anyone will take you seriously.

He has a point though
Original post by Redflag99
A Muslim malayali. I have seen christian malayalis and hindu malayalis. but not a muslim malayali. If you don't know what a malayali is, look at the link below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayali

Are you a Malayali?
Circle of life innit?
Original post by The person
Are you a Malayali?

Half
If I was looking after someone and they were rude to me i'd tell them to support themselves.
Because Westerns are individualistic unfortunately

Latest