The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] OCR MEI AS Mathematics 2016 (C1, C2 & S1)

Scroll to see replies

Oh god, S1 is soooo close. I'm not too worried because I've been doing quite well on past papers recently; but I have had no time to revise this weekend :/. I'm aiming to get ~ 10 hours revision done between now and Wednesday.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I think they were of similar difficulty. Jan13 had a much harder proof by induction though. But this year had some very unusual questions like f(w/j) and the series with p in it. Though I noticed many of the 'harder' questions weren't worth many marks in our paper.

OMG. What an AWFUL paper it was ridiculously difficult. I hope grade boundaries are extremely low.
Oh and guess what!? I hate mechanics too!! :biggrin:
One day remaining...
I'm just going to do past papers for S1 today and tomorrow, I did past papers the day before the C1 exam and I noticed that a few questions were the exact same as in the past papers, with the same figures.
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
I'm just going to do past papers for S1 today and tomorrow, I did past papers the day before the C1 exam and I noticed that a few questions were the exact same as in the past papers, with the same figures.

Good luck! :crossedf:
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Good luck! :crossedf:

How are you planning these 2 days?

How are you planning these 2 days?

Same, just going to do papers and keep looking through this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg2tfDG3Ww4u0igeew6MiMwTGxPeW3_mK (its really helpful)
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Same, just going to do papers and keep looking through this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg2tfDG3Ww4u0igeew6MiMwTGxPeW3_mK (its really helpful)

Thanks for sharing , there are a few questions I get stuck on, so I'll be using those videos.
Thanks for sharing , there are a few questions I get stuck on, so I'll be using those videos.

My pleasure
does anyone know where i can find the 2015 s1 paper? looked everywhere and cant find it

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!
Original post by ShadowHz
Hi guys, just a quick questions, can anyone please clarify the roundings of our answers in the S1 paper? Thanks x.

I've always been told 4 significant figures and that's always got me the mark in class past papers👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShadowHz
Hi guys, just a quick questions, can anyone please clarify the roundings of our answers in the S1 paper? Thanks x.

4sf for probabilities (4-5 accepted)
3sf for non-probability e.g. mean/standard deviation (3-4 accepted)

so basically 4sf is usually safe.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I'm doing both. I find M1 so much harder! I hate physics.

Definitley!
I'm doing S1 next year along with C4 (This year I'm doing C1,2,3 and M1)
Reply 315
Anyone have ideas what's gonna be on the OCR MEI S1 tomorrow??
Original post by JJamieO
Anyone have ideas what's gonna be on the OCR MEI S1 tomorrow??

Some numbers would be a good bet :wink: Jokes, jokes - I have no idea and I'm so stressed about this one :/ Going by past papers almost definitely hypothesis test, standard deviation, probably a graph of some kind (cumulative frequency, histogram or box and whisker) and then probably just familiarise yourself with the types of probability questions that can come up, conditional probability and how to prove independence or whatever :smile:
Reply 317
Original post by erinls2
Some numbers would be a good bet :wink: Jokes, jokes - I have no idea and I'm so stressed about this one :/ Going by past papers almost definitely hypothesis test, standard deviation, probably a graph of some kind (cumulative frequency, histogram or box and whisker) and then probably just familiarise yourself with the types of probability questions that can come up, conditional probability and how to prove independence or whatever :smile:

Yeah I think ur right. The only thing I really struggle on is the probability which is like half the test...#pastpapers
Just wondering on the whole do people find s1 extremely easy compared to the other applied modules? I'm surprised how low the boundaries have been for an A on s1 recently
For cumulative frequency graphs and histograms do we need to work out upper and lower class boundaries? I've not been taught to do this but its in my revision guide.

Quick Reply