The Student Room Group

Want an A for maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rager6amer
IDK which exam board you are doing but i would say practice some older past papers to get the hang of the types of questions/ answers they give/want and then do some more recent papers to get you familiar with how questions will be phrased / worded in the exam because as im sure you are aware the newer papers have much more linking / thinking involved so they are harder. If you need any help with a particular topic/area, join me over on my thread and we can try to discuss it and provide help. Good luck with c2 and getting an A :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4104433&page=2&p=65015081#post65015081

Thanks so much I'll be joining your thread 😊I'm doing edexcel btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rager6amer
IDK which exam board you are doing but i would say practice some older past papers to get the hang of the types of questions/ answers they give/want and then do some more recent papers to get you familiar with how questions will be phrased / worded in the exam because as im sure you are aware the newer papers have much more linking / thinking involved so they are harder. If you need any help with a particular topic/area, join me over on my thread and we can try to discuss it and provide help. Good luck with c2 and getting an A :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4104433&page=2&p=65015081#post65015081

Thanks a lot I'll be joining your thread and I do edexcel
Original post by Zacken
This is pretty much all wrong.

What's wrong about it? What would be needed to get an A, for example?
Reply 23
Original post by student1856
What's wrong about it? What would be needed to get an A, for example?

480/600 UMS. That's all. Nothing else.
Original post by Zacken
480/600 UMS. That's all. Nothing else.

That's for an A* right? What about an A? And does the UMS have to be spread over specific units?
Reply 25
That's for an A* right? What about an A? And does the UMS have to be spread over specific units?

No. It's for an A. That's all, there's no specific units or whatever.
Original post by Zacken

Oh, everywhere I've read has said you need 480 UMS for an A* not for an A. So what would you need for an A*?(this is edexcel by the way)
Reply 27
Oh, everywhere I've read has said you need 480 UMS for an A* not for an A. So what would you need for an A*?(this is edexcel by the way)

For an A* you need 480/600 and 90 UMS average over C3 and C4.
Original post by Zacken

For an A* you'll need to get those 480 UMS including a combined 180 UMS from C3 & C4.
Reply 29
Original post by lordoftheties
For an A* you'll need to get those 480 UMS including a combined 180 UMS from C3 & C4.

Yes, that's correct.
Original post by dontgiveup123
Thanks a lot I'll be joining your thread and I do edexcel

No problem and great to hear, ok you do edexcel whereas i do aqa but a lot of the principles are still the same :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Yes, that's correct.

Hi Zacken, I was looking at the grade boundaries and for the AS units the only way to get above 80 UMS in each unit is to get 75/75. Does this mean that if you drop only 1 mark in the entire exam you automatically go down to 80 ums instead of somewhere inbetween 100 and 80 UMS? Thanks
Reply 32
Hi Zacken, I was looking at the grade boundaries and for the AS units the only way to get above 80 UMS in each unit is to get 75/75. Does this mean that if you drop only 1 mark in the entire exam you automatically go down to 80 ums instead of somewhere inbetween 100 and 80 UMS? Thanks

No, of course not. Whatever you're reading, you're reading it wrong. I just pulled up C1 June 2014 at random and you need 64/75 for 80/100.

June 2014 C4 is 59/75 for 80/100, etc...
Original post by Zacken
No, of course not. Whatever you're reading, you're reading it wrong. I just pulled up C1 June 2014 at random and you need 64/75 for 80/100.

June 2014 C4 is 59/75 for 80/100, etc...

Yes, I understand that. I mean is it not possible to get more than 80 UMS without getting full marks? Say for example you wanted 90 UMS in C2, Is that possible?
Yes, I understand that. I mean is it not possible to get more than 80 UMS without getting full marks? Say for example you wanted 90 UMS in C2, Is that possible?

you need to look at this and not the grade boundaries

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/converting-marks-points-and-grades.html#tab-EdexcelUMSmarkconverter

What you're reading is just the maximum possible UMS score and raw marks
Reply 35

Yes, of course. See above for the UMS converter.
Original post by TajwarC
you need to look at this and not the grade boundaries

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/converting-marks-points-and-grades.html#tab-EdexcelUMSmarkconverter

What you're reading is just the maximum possible UMS score and raw marks

Thank you very much, I get it now.
Original post by Zacken
Yes, of course. See above for the UMS converter.

Thanks very much, Zacken :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest