The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lmaojustcreated
AVFTB and LOF predictions?

Beatrice for avftb and Simon/jack for lotf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else mention about time being a theme due to the use of the words day and daily? Also think I got the complete wrong idea by saying that she was restricted and trapped by her job! Found the poems awful and spotted the link to prostitution but didn't have the guts to mention it in an exam for 16 year olds!! Anyone else put anything similar? I'm predicted an A* and I'm so worried as this is the hardest poems I've ever done:frown:
I totally understand where the link to prostitution came from as I thought it to! I also found myself not ballsy enough to mention it tho!

For the peoms I wrote about how despite the woman was unattractive, she was hard working and friendly which makes her life good. This is opposite in the other poem as despite the man being well-groomed, he was bad at his job and was boring.

The underlining of the poems was basically "being attractive doesn't make you sucsessful, it's being nice and hard working that matters".
Original post by alyxgower
If anyone is doing An Inspector Calls for WJEC can they please help me on Eric or Gerald? I find them so hard to write about. And George for OMAM please!

I find them hard to write about too, but if you need some quotes for them
Eric;
He's irresponsible; '" I didn't even remember - that's the hellish thing"'
He's unloved; '"You don't understand anything. You never did"'
He's sensitive; '"My God - I'm not likely to forget"'
He's an alcoholic; '" I was in that state when a chap easily turns nasty"'

Gerald;
He's respectable; '"the easy well-bred young man-about-town"'
He's upper-class; '"landed people and so forth"'
He's a liar; '"I wasn't telling you a complete lie"'
He's traditional; '"I should say so!"'

All these came out of a CGP Text Guide:smile:
If you need anymore, just ask :smile:
Think I completely over complicated the poems as it seemed to be the simple things that I failed to spot. Fingers cross my of mice and men work will boost my grade as I have no hope for heroes or an Inspector calls!
Original post by asdfghjklgcses
Beatrice for avftb and Simon/jack for lotf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jack was in the AQA exam today, do you think that holds any weight for WJEC?
Original post by HarryGCSE
Simon and Jack and yet to come up. Roger is unlikely as he came up last year. Sam N Eric could come up but there is little to write about.

When was the last time ralph came up?
Predictions for an inspector calls and heroes?
Original post by rebbarn29
When was the last time ralph came up?

Reply 369
Original post by foxicles
Predictions for an inspector calls and heroes?

Sheila has never came up
Original post by mrh7
Sheila has never came up

OMG if she did Shiela is so easy (probably why she never came up lol)

Original post by zelda123
Think I completely over complicated the poems as it seemed to be the simple things that I failed to spot. Fingers cross my of mice and men work will boost my grade as I have no hope for heroes or an Inspector calls!

... nice tag
Does anyone here do Silas Marner?
Original post by djsosd
are you honestly serious. you actually think that poem is about prostitution?
please say that i am right. i can't be bothered anymore.

what do you guys think fishes or prostitution lol?
btw why would you think they call her aunt jane fish then ? huh lol

hmmm, sorry to be rude.. but im guessing I was right all along?
Original post by mrh7
Sheila has never came up

Cheers :smile:
Original post by SophFlorence
@Farnosh. I think it went OK actually! Luckily I was prepared for all the characters, but was really really hoping for Slim. Ah well, what will be will be. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great man! lol I didn't really love the poems at first, in fact I was the first person on this thread to assume 'in cardigan market' was about prostitution! but others didn't believe that :smile: also, I dint really like the extract question that much, I hated that scene! hope you get the results you want! x
Did anyone else mention about time being a theme due to the use of the words day and daily? Also think I got the complete wrong idea by saying that she was restricted and trapped by her job! Found the poems awful and spotted the link to prostitution but didn't have the guts to mention it in an exam for 16 year olds!! Anyone else put anything similar? I'm predicted an A* and I'm so worried as this is the hardest poems I've ever done:frown:

I said there was a theme of repetitiveness due to the use of words like 'daily' and 'day by day'... So if this boat sinks at least we're both going down :biggrin:
Original post by Farnosh
That's great man! lol I didn't really love the poems at first, in fact I was the first person on this thread to assume 'in cardigan market' was about prostitution! but others didn't believe that :smile: also, I dint really like the extract question that much, I hated that scene! hope you get the results you want! x

Thanks! Well, well done you for going for the 'less obvious'! I have to admit, I was rather against it at first. But now I've read it a few times at home, I can see the link! Ah I know right, I felt there wasn't much opportunity for mentioning stylistic features with that extract, but ah well, what's done is done! Thanks, you too!!! x

I had exactly the same thoughts! I thought that she was stuck confined by the job- couldn't escape it! I also wrote how the moral of poems seem to be not to judge someone on appearance as they're personality is worth more- shown by how 'Auntie' is friendly despite being described as ugly etc. Also yes i assumed i was wrong thinking about prostitution and didnt want to write it because its a weird theme for poetry😂 Me too i'm meant to be an A* english student and i hope Poetry and my not that great omam essay doesnt drop me too much
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophFlorence
Thanks! Well, well done you for going for the 'less obvious'! I have to admit, I was rather against it at first. But now I've read it a few times at home, I can see the link! Ah I know right, I felt there wasn't much opportunity for mentioning stylistic features with that extract, but ah well, what's done is done! Thanks, you too!!! x

yes! what done is done I guess x and I understand why everyone was annoyed about the poem, because I spent 30 minutes analysing the poem to actually spot that it was somewhat about prostitution!! so I really did waste my time, but hope they make the grade boundaries low for the amount of complaints x
Original post by Farnosh
yes! what done is done I guess x and I understand why everyone was annoyed about the poem, because I spent 30 minutes analysing the poem to actually spot that it was somewhat about prostitution!! so I really did waste my time, but hope they make the grade boundaries low for the amount of complaints x

Ah, what a nightmare. I'm sure you still did great though. Timing was an issue for me, too, and so my final paragraph was slightly rushed, and my conclusion was pretty minimal. Yes, low grade boundaries are well deserved, those poems were, on reflection, pretty darn difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending