The Student Room Group

How to Revise for GCSE media studies AQA science fiction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shahanne
would be safer to use actors who are well known but don't cost a lot of money i.e. emilia clarke, thomas sangster, any of that Games of Throne lot it seems as an independent film company probably couldn't afford someone like idk Tom Cruise.

you could then use films like Insurgent and Star Wars VII to back up your choices too

Thank's for the heads up! Also I was wondering, should we be going into explicit detail on how successful the case study films are? Like do I need to include detail to support the idea that they are successful by including box office gross ect.?
Original post by KieranPRTL
Thank's for the heads up! Also I was wondering, should we be going into explicit detail on how successful the case study films are? Like do I need to include detail to support the idea that they are successful by including box office gross ect.?

you have to have to have to be explicit !!! don't be general about things at all!!
ie don't say gravity had a successful marketing campaign the end. you have to explain how it was successful and what they did (in as few words as possible if you can because you don't want to make the question all about gravity's marketing campaign instead of your own for example) and always relate it back to your own film. it's better not to mention case studies if they have nothing to do with your film ie in a marketing question mention a company's marketing campaign and not use their ideas.

that being said try to avoid making your whole exam revolve around the case studies - use them sparingly and only when relevant.
Original post by SmallTown
Do you have any more points you could make for movies such as the theories they use? Thanks for your other post, really helpful. :smile:

Not a problem, happy to help.

I would say take a quick look through of this; http://www.slideshare.net/EllieSchool123/sci-fi-audience-theories
Someone else posted it earlier, quite useful for getting an idea of the types of theories/conventions etc you might want to use in an answer.

Question might be;
Explain how some people gain an understanding of real world problems through certain films, include theories and conventions in your answer.

A point I might make using these would be;

Through the uses and gratifications, in particular "Surveillance and information", the audience is able to find out about new places, scientific possibilities and problems, helping them to acquire a knowledge about science, the world, the surroundings, and what may happen.
A film which demonstrates this is "Children of Men". In a world where people are infertile, the audience are able to see and experience what the world may be like if we keep mistreating it, and not looking after our environment. It creates a fear for the audience, and in some cases may make people's ways in real life change, as they fear the very outcome may happen even though it is only a film. This happens because the film was made to be a surveillance and information film, as well as a Sci-Fi film, so engrosses the audience, and also gives them a taste of what the harsh fate of our world could be.

(This isn't the best example, but a rough guideline/idea of what to aim for). Try to make a couple of those points per example you are giving).

There are many other films that do similar things. (Most post apocalyptic films). I'd advise you tried to have a go at using some of the therories from;http://www.slideshare.net/EllieSchool123/sci-fi-audience-theories to assist you in your answer. Best of luck, if you need anything else just give me a shout.
Original post by SmallTown
Do you have any more points you could make for movies such as the theories they use? Thanks for your other post, really helpful. :smile:

I would also consider revising Todorov's Narrative theory, as it can come in handy for a lot of answers.
https://prezi.com/y5gvfc_pngwb/todorovs-narrative-theory/
IM SHlTlNG IT LOL
Reply 65
can someone explain to me 'inventive setting and location'', how can i write how inventive setting and location is used in war of he world. Im stuck
Original post by lololop
can someone explain to me 'inventive setting and location'', how can i write how inventive setting and location is used in war of he world. Im stuck

You could write about the 'reflective theory' in which sci-fi film use depictions of real life scenarios but exaggerate it with speculative and science based depictions. For example in the 1950's the world was worried about the Cold War, particular nuclear weapons and communism. You can link this to Godzilla, which is a sci-fi film, which addresses a prehistoric monster resurrected by numerous nuclear tests in the Pacific. That links into war part of your post.

Inventive setting you could write about 'I am Legend' where the location is New York City but because it's post apocalyptic, it juxtaposes the idea that NY is the 'city that never sleeps' but in the movie it's eerie and all the humans are dead because it's a zombie apocalypse and everyone has died from a medical virus. This then links with Buscombes' theory which uses location as an iconography to depict the genre. There's loads of examples you could give here with your chosen case studies/films.
Reply 67
How did you all find the exam!? 😁
Certainly think I clinched A*. 90/90 for coursework too so im pretty certain of my result!
If you mentioned demographics, psychographics, Goffman's theory, Todorov's theory and Propp's (briefly) would you be able to get an A? I didn't use many key media terms just the basic stuff like costume, representation etc :smile:

Plus my coursework is in the middle of the A boundary
I got the same result on my coursework... What mark do we need in the exam for an A* overall?
Original post by ChrisTheStudent1
I got the same result on my coursework... What mark do we need in the exam for an A* overall?

Most likely a mid A. Surely can't be higher than that. Also if you got full marks in your coursework its clear you have one of the best of the best when it comes to analysing so just think if is the same type of style to how you do coursework and you'll probably find you got an A* in the exam too. But pretty sure it won't be lower than mid (maybe weak) A in the exam to give overall A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending