The Student Room Group

Nationalist uprising in Myanmar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
No not an eye for an eye but I see no issues with treating people how they would treat others.

As I said we need to stop tolerating intolerance

But to ignore history means we are due to repeat the errors and Islam has a long and bloody history from it inception to today.

That is eye for an eye. In fact it's further than that, it's eye for a future possible eye, or eye for hypothetical eye.

And I agree we need to stop tolerating intolerance, preserving tolerance is sacrosanct. But the discriminatory ethnic and religious laws against the Rohingya is not defending tolerance, it's trying to legislate ethnic supremacism and religious supremacism.

The history point wasn't about ignoring history it was me trying to ask how far back is the limit when it comes to justifying discrimination and how close must the connection between peoples be.
Original post by garfeeled
That is eye for an eye. In fact it's further than that, it's eye for a future possible eye, or eye for hypothetical eye.

And I agree we need to stop tolerating intolerance, preserving tolerance is sacrosanct. But the discriminatory ethnic and religious laws against the Rohingya is not defending tolerance, it's trying to legislate ethnic supremacism and religious supremacism.

The history point wasn't about ignoring history it was me trying to ask how far back is the limit when it comes to justifying discrimination and how close must the connection between peoples be.

Hold on so to preserve tolerance we need to prevent Islam or Muslims practicing their religion freely (I think you agree with this part as Islam is inherently intolerant)

But it seems we will continue to disagree here as I see the laws mentioned here mirrored in Muslim communities (for example will the Rohingya be removing Islams restrictions on who they can marry? if not them can they complain about external restrictions on who they can marry for example? same goes for apostasy or who they do business with (basically they need to renounce most of sharia)
Hold on so to preserve tolerance we need to prevent Islam or Muslims practicing their religion freely (I think you agree with this part as Islam is inherently intolerant)

No that's not what I am saying (unless by practise freely you mean stoning people and restricting gender equality and so on in which case then yes. But by practise freely I think of worshipping reading and speaking about the Quran and preaching and so on, such things should be protected and permitted)

But it seems we will continue to disagree here as I see the laws mentioned here mirrored in Muslim communities (for example will the Rohingya be removing Islams restrictions on who they can marry? if not them can they complain about external restrictions on who they can marry for example? same goes for apostasy or who they do business with (basically they need to renounce most of sharia)

I'm not saying there isn't similarities just that

1 the discrimination facing by the Rohingya is more extreme than what non Muslims historically and currently experience under Islamic rule. As far as I know there was no restriction on the number of children they could have, and those that were able to leave were permitted to do so, non Muslims were allowed access to education and so on. All things legally denied to the Rohingya

2 that the similarities do not permit the discrimination they face.
No that's not what I am saying (unless by practise freely you mean stoning people and restricting gender equality and so on in which case then yes. But by practise freely I think of worshipping reading and speaking about the Quran and preaching and so on, such things should be protected and permitted)

I'm not saying there isn't similarities just that

1 the discrimination facing by the Rohingya is more extreme than what non Muslims historically and currently experience under Islamic rule. As far as I know there was no restriction on the number of children they could have, and those that were able to leave were permitted to do so, non Muslims were allowed access to education and so on. All things legally denied to the Rohingya

2 that the similarities do not permit the discrimination they face.

Yes that's what I mean basically sharia and it's implementation which is what a large proportion of Muslims want where ever they go so yes stoning people and restricting gender equality are part of Islam and have to be accepted if we are going to be tolerant towards them

1) no it's not it's nowhere near as bad as non Muslims face in most Muslim countries and here we are talking persecution for well over 1000 odd years (where are all the pagans in Saudi? given this was, until Islams conception, a country just like Burma full of all faiths where are they now? In fact I think I can show you for every Muslim majority county it's minorities are currently shrinking in number rather than growing as we would expect)

2) Yes they do. On one hand your are arguing it's OK to have a law that restricts who Muslims can marry (as it is Muslims enforcing this) but on the other had it's wrong to have a law that restricts who Muslim can marry (as it is Non - Muslim enforcing this)

I see no difference between the two.

as I said if we want to become as bad as they are we will continue to let them practice their faith freely if we don't then we must become intolerant to their intolerance.

and while they dominate in most spheres of intolerance I will not shed a tear over this
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Don't worry I'm sure they'll all leave and come to diversity land
Original post by chemting
When will the wall come along? Will Thailand pay for it?

I don't think anything justifies mob-rule...

Posted from TSR Mobile

bangladesh

rohinyas were immigrants from bangladesh.
Original post by HucktheForde
bangladesh

rohinyas were immigrants from bangladesh.

Yeah you're right sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Literally in every single one of these countries, the Islamic religion is at the heart of the issue. But somehow it's every single other group is to blame?
How people can deny and defend such an obvious common factor totally baffles me.
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Literally in every single one of these countries, the Islamic religion is at the heart of the issue. But somehow it's every single other group is to blame?
How people can deny and defend such an obvious common factor totally baffles me.

Doesn't mean we ignore the other groups. It's not necessarily a one way street with what's happening.
I realise debating about this makes barely any difference to the world. It's interesting to see everyone's different opinions. I suppose we can just chat about it and speculate only. Unfortunately none of us know how each side truly feels and what their opinions are, but I suppose none of that matters. Continually watching and arguing with one another what everything means. How everyone should feel about it, but how does that help anyone out? I see now how much opinions and speculations vary, clashes like these don't do anything. I suppose at the end of the day just being aware is sufficient for most. The end goal of finding compromise will never be reached and you can't just say it's all Islam's fault, it's a two sided fight. But people end up stuck in the middle of it unfortunately. That's just my thoughts, I suppose no one will really agree with me but eh what can ya do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Honestly couldn't rep this enough.
Yes that's what I mean basically sharia and it's implementation which is what a large proportion of Muslims want where ever they go so yes stoning people and restricting gender equality are part of Islam and have to be accepted if we are going to be tolerant towards them

By that standard then yes they shouldn't be allowed to practise freely, but then nor would a significant number of those that follow abrahamic religion

1) no it's not it's nowhere near as bad as non Muslims face in most Muslim countries and here we are talking persecution for well over 1000 odd years (where are all the pagans in Saudi? given this was, until Islams conception, a country just like Burma full of all faiths where are they now? In fact I think I can show you for every Muslim majority county it's minorities are currently shrinking in number rather than growing as we would expect)

Could you give an example of long term legal abuses that match the degree of abuse faced by the Rohingya. I am not saying by any means that non Muslims (particularly polytheists) weren't incredibly mistreated and their human rights trampled upon under Islamic rule. There are a few historic examples but most from a long time ago (for example prosecution of Hindus under Islamic rule was particularly horrific)

2) Yes they do. On one hand your are arguing it's OK to have a law that restricts who Muslims can marry (as it is Muslims enforcing this) but on the other had it's wrong to have a law that restricts who Muslim can marry (as it is Non - Muslim enforcing this)

I see no difference between the two.

as I said if we want to become as bad as they are we will continue to let them practice their faith freely if we don't then we must become intolerant to their intolerance.

and while they dominate in most spheres of intolerance I will not shed a tear over this

I am not argue that Muslims should be restricted to marry anyone by non Muslims or Muslims alike (not at least on religious terms obvious bans should be I place, such as underage marraige and so on). I don't see a difference between the two either but again they are just as bad is not an arguement to me. Yes we should fight intolerance and oppression but we should do it in a way that doesn't make us as oppressive or intolerant. Enacting laws of religious and ethnic prosecution is wrong regardless of how intolerant the people in question are.
Intolerance cannot be tolerated from Muslims or against Muslims. It's completely unjust to ban Muslims from having more than two children but it is completely just (arguably morally required) to challenge homophobia within Muslims and the community as a whole.

What do you do if then Muslims on average have 5 children per family and will become the majority and then legislate against all the tolerant policies that you would otherwise like to see?

Perhaps the current majority can join in the fertility battle but inevitably that is going to end the possibility of women having careers which you probably also consider an important value. It's also going to rapidly result in the country becoming an unpleasant place to live with high density and intense competition for resources.

Or perhaps you simply disallow them from legislating things you consider intolerant even as "you" become a vanishing minority, but it's hard to see how your state then would differ from apartheid South Africa, and it's likely you'd lose militarily sooner or later anyway.

I don't claim to have the answer to this question but I see no indication that those who support equal rights for Muslims have even considered the problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
What do you do if then Muslims on average have 5 children per family and will become the majority and then legislate against all the tolerant policies that you would otherwise like to see?

Perhaps the current majority can join in the fertility battle but inevitably that is going to end the possibility of women having careers which you probably also consider an important value. It's also going to rapidly result in the country becoming an unpleasant place to live with high density and intense competition for resources.

Or perhaps you simply disallow them from legislating things you consider intolerant even as "you" become a vanishing minority, but it's hard to see how your state then would differ from apartheid South Africa, and it's likely you'd lose militarily sooner or later anyway.

I don't claim to have the answer to this question but I see no indication that those who support equal rights for Muslims have even considered the problem.

Well given that Muslim birth rates are slowing down the non Muslims majority can always engaging in a bit more birthing (I do agree that is a problem, people are having less children than before and that is a problem). So there are several things to be done beyond that though including legal assurance of protection against sexism and homophobia and legal assurance of free speech, freedom of religion and so on. I also support severally restricting immigration from intolerant cultures and the immigration that is allowed requires support for gender equality, freedom of religon so on so forth.

I don't claim to used an answer t the problem either. Just that the solution of extreme discrimination that the Rohingya is not the answer.

Could you give an example of long term legal abuses that match the degree of abuse faced by the Rohingya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazidis

and look at the history of Christians in Egypt

http://www.meforum.org/23/egypt-persecution

The same history can be found for any minority in any Muslim Majority countries bar a few (and I do mean a few)
(edited 7 years ago)
legal assurance of free speech, freedom of religion and so on.

This can't happen in any country or community where sharia raises its ugly head.

Look up the Cairo Declaration of human rights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_Declaration_on_Human_Rights_in_Islam
Original post by Mathemagicien
Not commenting on the 'fertility war' business, but nothing is stopping men from taking more responsibility raising their kids (and doing so will probably significantly raise the birth rate)

If a woman has six or seven children it doesn't much matter how much outside help she has, childbearing alone is going to take many years, and then what is more practical, a woman starting a career in her late 20s or early 30s having spent more or less the whole 20s carrying children, or the man continuing the career he has spent his 20s building up?

Traditional sex roles became traditional for a reason - they are the only roles compatible with families large enough for the population to reproduce given high childhood mortality. We no longer have high childhood mortality and more civilised peoples have taken this as an opportunity to cut down the proportion of life - especially womens' lives - dedicated to bearing children. Less civilised people have used this as an opportunity to radically increase their population growth rate.

There are many women who have managed to have large families, with careers. E.g. the German Defence Minister has 7 children, and is favoured to succeed Merkel, so could one day be the most powerful woman on the planet.

The German defence minister is an aristocrat.

Nonetheless, a world in which most people have 7 children and they all survive to adulthood is quickly going to lack elbow room. It's not a desirable long run solution, even if something like it is probably a necessary short term expedient.
Reply 38
Intolerance needs to be countered with intolerance not excuses.

You do realise that, snappy as that sounds, it just the most awful attitude, right?
This can't happen in any country or community where sharia raises its ugly head.

Look up the Cairo Declaration of human rights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_Declaration_on_Human_Rights_in_Islam

I know of the Cairo declaration of Islamic supremacism.

A Muslim mainorigy however is not going to enact legal shariah in Britain (thank the Lord)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending