The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Business Studies Unit 1 & 3 2016

Anyone feeling ready for unit 1? And unit 3? And how was your coursework?

Scroll to see replies

Grade boundaries are way too high for unit 1, 39/40 for A* :/ I will easily make a stupid mistake because business is a dull subject and they like giving you 2 possible answers and you can only tick 'the best' one.
Original post by Dragon5555
Anyone feeling ready for unit 1? And unit 3? And how was your coursework?

I'm feeling pretty confident, got an A* on my coursework (did the question about revenue and made all the "facts and figures" up haha). The only thing I'm worried about is the grade boundaries, last year it was 38/40 for an A*, the year before that it was 39/40 for an A*. So just gotta hope they don't have stupidly high grade boundaries :smile:
I feel quite confident for these business exams, always get good grades without revising! Got a A* on coursework :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher believes the questions will be difficult this gear in order to get people off guard and so sort out the boundaries as it would then mean not having to get 38-40 for an A*...however, its probably not going to be too hard i mean the answer is literally in front of us

ELIMINATE as you go and you shudd be ight
i did well in the coursework too lol I'm pretty confident about the exam tomorrow. For everyone else taking it this may be useful:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Business/2009/Exam%20materials/Examiner-report-Unit-1-June-2014.pdf

Do check out examiner reports for past papers, they can be very helpful.
I am dead for tomorrow omg unit 1 is my weakness T_T
What did you guys put for the market map question with stars?!
Reply 8
I went for the top left box, there were only 3 stars in it but there were 5 in the other boxes
What was the answer for the benefits of a patent?
Was it sole rights to a use of the product
An insurance policy that provides protection for 20 years
Protects an invention or process
Original post by jj.repinec
What was the answer for the benefits of a patent?
Was it sole rights to a use of the product
An insurance policy that provides protection for 20 years
Protects an invention or process

Sole rights and Protects an invention
what did you put for the second question? about hairdressing? and also the variable costs question?
Original post by 99Qwerty99
what did you put for the second question? about hairdressing? and also the variable costs question?

The variable costs was Raw Materials.
The hairdressing one confused me, I put Startup costs and Ability to raise share capital
Reply 13
Original post by Cameron Mee
Sole rights and Protects an invention

Is it not the 20years one instead of sole rights, ive heard that was the answer?
i got an a* for the coursework and the recent exam i calculated and i got a B which im soo unhappy about cos i made silly mistakes and for unit 3 im hoping for an A* what grade do you think i will get overall. I got 40/40 for the coursework and 34/40 for unit 1. what current grade have i got so far
Are there any unofficial mark schemes out yet?
It was the top left one ( I think) as that only had three stars, whereas the others had 5 stars. but I can't remember which one that was on the sheet.
Original post by Dragon5555
What did you guys put for the market map question with stars?It was the top left (I think) as that only had 3 stars, whereas the rest had 5 stars.
Reply 18
I know that no ones posted on here recently but i need help with unit 3. I wasn't in for the lesson about the boston matrix so i done a bit of revision but i don't get what it means by slow growing markets/ high market growths and share capital. And what else do we need to know about it apart from dogs problem child rising star and cash cows? I'd really appreciate some help!!
Original post by jayg123
I know that no ones posted on here recently but i need help with unit 3. I wasn't in for the lesson about the boston matrix so i done a bit of revision but i don't get what it means by slow growing markets/ high market growths and share capital. And what else do we need to know about it apart from dogs problem child rising star and cash cows? I'd really appreciate some help!!

The Boston Matrix is a product portfolio tool used to plan the development of products. It can be used to see where a businesses products are in the market and can help them to determine what to do with it (e.g increase advertising or add another product to the market etc). The market growth is the demand for a particular product or service so a typewriter for example would have a low market growth and nobody needs them and a high quality laptop has a high market growth because customers need them.

Share capital is just the money raised from selling shares in a business. This is not related to the Boston Matrix though. Just a long term source of finance!

You just need to learn how the Boston Matrix can benefit a business and how the Boston Matrix links to the product life cycle. E.g when to implement a new product, when the product is in the maturity or decline phase. This is a bit long but I hope it helps. Good luck with the exam. You got this! 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending