The Student Room Group

OCR Physics AS Resit G481 - 24th May 2016

Hey guys, I was just doing the June 2010 past paper, and have got stuck on what seems like a really simple question! Can anyone help out on question 6?? Thank you so much x

June 2010 paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58048-question-paper-unit-g481-mechanics.pdf
June 2010 mark scheme: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61664-mark-scheme-unit-g481-mechanics-june.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
6) i) Torque is one of the forces multiplied by the distance between the forces, so first 3cm = 0.03m, So Torque = 0.03 x 4 = 0.12 Nm
ii) Moments about a point, mean you ignore any forces acting at that point (not relevant here), and every other moment is given by the magnitude of the force multiplied by the distance it acts from point (that you are taking the moments about).
So the upwards (anti-clockwise is better incase you get a question with moments on both sides of the point) moment is given by distance ( x cm ) times force ( 4 N ). ( x cm = x/100 m) therefore anti-clockwise moment = 4x/100 Nm.
Clockwise moment is given by distance ( 3cm + xcm ) times force ( 4N ), ( 3cm + xcm = (3 + x)/100 m), so clockwise moment = 4(3 + x)/100 = 12/100 + 4x/100
Total moment in clockwise direction (since this will be a positive value) is given by the [clockwise moment] minus the [anticlockwise moment],
i.e. total moment in clockwise direction = [ 12/100 + 4x/100 ] - [ 4x/100 ] = 12/100 = 0.12Nm

lol i just realised theres a whole other section to that question so tell me if thats the part you got stuck on and ill go through that
guys good luck in your exam if you're taking this one ive done all but 2 of the ocr past papers my isa was pretty good just need a good grade in the mechanics exam tomorrow
Reply 3
Original post by qsom
6) i) Torque is one of the forces multiplied by the distance between the forces, so first 3cm = 0.03m, So Torque = 0.03 x 4 = 0.12 Nm
ii) Moments about a point, mean you ignore any forces acting at that point (not relevant here), and every other moment is given by the magnitude of the force multiplied by the distance it acts from point (that you are taking the moments about).
So the upwards (anti-clockwise is better incase you get a question with moments on both sides of the point) moment is given by distance ( x cm ) times force ( 4 N ). ( x cm = x/100 m) therefore anti-clockwise moment = 4x/100 Nm.
Clockwise moment is given by distance ( 3cm + xcm ) times force ( 4N ), ( 3cm + xcm = (3 + x)/100 m), so clockwise moment = 4(3 + x)/100 = 12/100 + 4x/100
Total moment in clockwise direction (since this will be a positive value) is given by the [clockwise moment] minus the [anticlockwise moment],
i.e. total moment in clockwise direction = [ 12/100 + 4x/100 ] - [ 4x/100 ] = 12/100 = 0.12Nm

lol i just realised theres a whole other section to that question so tell me if thats the part you got stuck on and ill go through that

no that is brilliant, it was just ii) thank you so much!!
Reply 4
Has no one made a proper thread for this resit exam yet? I could understand why due to the AS students switching to the new spec, but eh.

Any questions anyone has found hard in past papers? Would be nice to use this as a discussion thread until tomorrow~
Doesn't seem like many people are retaking this exam...
What do we think is coming up tomorrow?
Reply 7
How did everyone find it?
Original post by Y50ndh
How did everyone find it?

Not bad but my answer for part (a) of 7 i know i got wrong because i didnt put the area in mm^2 i got an answe of 93mm the rest of the paper was fine the moments question was free marks
\\
Original post by Abb97
Not bad but my answer for part (a) of 7 i know i got wrong because i didnt put the area in mm^2 i got an answe of 93mm the rest of the paper was fine the moments question was free marks

i did the same mistake plus you had to divide it by 4 to find the extension of one of the string
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zzxxDash53xxzz
\\

i did the same mistake plus you had to divide it by 4 to find the extension of one of the string

seems like ill be getting 1 mark for that question then the rest of the materials questions were much nicer im glad they gave us a ductile material instead of rubber or polythene did you get an answer of 1.39 for the motorbike question the one that said prove t=1.4s ?
Reply 11
What did everyone get for the number of cars jumped by the motorcyclist ?
I got 23 cars
I got that as well! Hopefully it's correct
yh same me too
So what was the answer to 7a?
Because i got 23mm? I think the cross sectional area was like 4.5^-4m so i left my answer in mm as 23 which makes sense as its 4 times as small as the 93mm
Original post by Smithy1597
Because i got 23mm? I think the cross sectional area was like 4.5^-4m so i left my answer in mm as 23 which makes sense as its 4 times as small as the 93mm

I had 23 aswell wasn't that confident on it
Original post by BeatnikkLee
I had 23 aswell wasn't that confident on it

It makes sense though because it was the weight divided by 4 then calculate stress and extension and so on and then leave your answer in mms which was 23
Original post by Smithy1597
It makes sense though because it was the weight divided by 4 then calculate stress and extension and so on and then leave your answer in mms which was 23

Yeah that's true, what do you think the grade boundary is looking like?im thinking 45/46
For the past 3 years it's been 43 to get an A
Original post by BeatnikkLee
Yeah that's true, what do you think the grade boundary is looking like?im thinking 45/46
For the past 3 years it's been 43 to get an A

I think they should be a bit higher this year but usually they are quite consistent so maybe like 44/45 ish not too sure tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending