The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone get about 4010W for the firts part of the heater question ??
Original post by kelvin1338
oh nevermind i realised my mistake aha

Are we not both correct technically? If it was an a.c. with time base off it would look different surely?
I wrote pi^0 because strangeness doesnt balance with k^0....

But strangenss has to be conserved, I'm not really sure but that's what I always thought
It's a dot only because time base is switched off. No current involved here
Original post by Jonah1958
Did anyone get about 4010W for the firts part of the heater question ??

2 sig figs bruh
Original post by yasinmckay
I did

Me too, as strangeness wasnt conserved as it was a decay so must have been pion
I wrote pi^0 because strangeness doesnt balance with k^0....

What do you mean?
K^1 (strangeness +1) ==> pi^1 (strangeness +0) + X (strangeness MUST be +1)

The only particle with a strangeness of +1 and charge of 0 is K^0 so shouldn't X be K^0 ?

I drew the diode symbol in the correct way at first but then crossed it out and replaced it with a resistor with an arrow on top. smh...
Reply 167
Original post by Goldfly
What were the two reasons to have a low resistance? I got that one was to provide a high enough current for the oven to function but I was unsure about the other one.

I wrote less heat wasted due to current and more current can flow.
Reply 168
Original post by Goldfly
What were the two reasons to have a low resistance? I got that one was to provide a high enough current for the oven to function but I was unsure about the other one.

less power is wasted as heat is what i put
I thought the paper was actually quite a good paper for me! I loved the particle section - the electricity section was slightly harder but I think I did alright in that section.

Original post by Shta15
Anyone get neutral pion for X

Yes, that's what I got!

Regarding the dot question I put that the oscilloscope was not in a closed circuit as S1 was open.
Original post by CJWright97
K^0 i said

That's what I got too but apparently it was a neutral pion. Tho I think the mark scheme might accept both
It was a dot because both the switches were open, so no current was flowing. The circuit was essentially incomplete.
They wanted you to talk about it with reference to the lowest dot. As they said at the start of the question the switches were open.

Also it was a neutral Kaon (Remember it was a Positive Kaon --> Positive Pion and X) - you had a strange particles on one side, therefore instantly one should be thinking of conservation of strangeness. Also with a neutral Kaon the charge, baryon number and lepton number were all also conserved.

Hope that helps
Original post by Anon-
less power is wasted as heat is what i put

Power wasted is I sq R and low R means high I which is why I wasn't sure if that was correct
Original post by CourtlyCanter
What do you mean?
K^1 (strangeness +1) ==> pi^1 (strangeness +0) + X (strangeness MUST be +1)

The only particle with a strangeness of +1 and charge of 0 is K^0 so shouldn't X be K^0 ?

I drew the diode symbol in the correct way at first but then crossed it out and replaced it with a resistor with an arrow on top. smh...

But isn't the interaction weak? So strangness wouldn't be conserved
Original post by Goldfly

I wrote less energy wasted as heat or less volts lost
Original post by Goldfly
2 sig figs bruh

I got 4400W
:/
Reply 176
Original post by Lazarus26
I got 4400W

same
Reply 177
What did you tick when classifying particles.
I ticked hadron and meson for the kaon
And the others were a lepton
I got 4400W

Sounds right to me. What about the next power one?
I got 4400W

My mistake, i actually put down 4410, so ur right

Quick Reply