The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tayeb
That's awfully high for an internal resistance. I did the emf (6) minus the voltage (5) over the current (calculated from the previous question). 3.4 should be the correct answer, although they could accept 3.6 due to rounding.

Yeah, your one deffinately looks more realistic, think i must hage got my current wrong :frown:
This paper was definitely easier than last year, there were many easy easy marks. Some (if not all in fact) of the photoelectricity questions have come up before (literally the exact same questions). The only real difficulty in this paper, in my opinion, were those two calculations for the heater.

Expecting something around 55-58 for an A, defo 70/70 for 120 UMS
Original post by Jonah1958
Anyone get 2.4x10^20 C for charge of nucleus, first question???

Not sure, if that's what 1.6x10^-19 * 92 comes to then yes :smile:
Reply 263
Original post by Rid123
For 5.
People whacking in a variable resistor in there to alter current?
Also to get readings before the spike in graph would you turn diode to reverse bias
And would resistance increase for increasing pd for last in 5?

Did the same for all except the last one, which I said that it would decrease as a pose to increase. Idk whether I'm right or not :/
Original post by Rid123
For 5.
People whacking in a variable resistor in there to alter current?
Also to get readings before the spike in graph would you turn diode to reverse bias
And would resistance increase for increasing pd for last in 5?

Yeah I put in a variable resistor.
Didn't think to talk about the reverse bias part - nice thinking
I think I put decrease as the current would increase
I got 3.4 ohms for internal resistance
Reply 266
Yeah, your one deffinately looks more realistic, think i must hage got my current wrong :frown:

My current was 5/18.
What did people write for the dangers of the SCD in the 6 marker? Personally I wrote connecting it the wrong way and increasing the current too much could cause it to fail.
Hey I got 2930 or something like that for power. What did you guys do to get your value?
How did people work out the average pd for the heating element???
Reply 270
Original post by TajwarC
This paper was definitely easier than last year, there were many easy easy marks. Some (if not all in fact) of the photoelectricity questions have come up before (literally the exact same questions). The only real difficulty in this paper, in my opinion, were those two calculations for the heater.

Expecting something around 55-58 for an A, defo 70/70 for 120 UMS

Considering how the 120 UMS Boundary has increased, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 70/70 for the full UMS. Bummer :/
Original post by sjmurkin
What did people write for the dangers of the SCD in the 6 marker? Personally I wrote connecting it the wrong way and increasing the current too much could cause it to fail.

I put take care not to touch the electrode of the diode to avoid electrocution or burns. Although I didn't mention that this would be due to a high current (not sure if the mark is dependent on that last point)

If you connect it the wrong way, the resistance is very high meaning these is a very small current (hence nothing is allowed to flow through)
Original post by Tayeb
Considering how the 120 UMS Boundary has increased, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 70/70 for the full UMS. Bummer :/

I know :frown: It was only 62 or something last year. I'm still hoping to get 110+ however
How did people work out the average pd for the heating element???

I used the Vrms lost in the wires and their total resistance ( i assumed they were in series)
I think the vrms in the wires was like 0.5 something
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 274
Original post by TajwarC
I know :frown: It was only 62 or something last year. I'm still hoping to get 110+ however

Same. Fingers crossed xD
Nope because 0.27 recurring is 5/18 therefor R is 18/5 which is exactly 3.6
If you use a rounded version you get 3.42, if you don't round you get 3.6
Original post by RUNSran
and current was 0.28 right?

I remember now. Yes I got 0.28 for current (5/18)
How many electrons were in the atom for the first question. about Q1c. i got 92-3= 89 electrons???
Reply 279
Original post by Donohoe4
How many electrons were in the atom for the first question. about Q1c. i got 92-3= 89 electrons???

Question said ION not atom. So you had to divide the charge by the charge of the electron. So 3 electrons.

Quick Reply

Latest