The Student Room Group

"Feminism is useless in the first world"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ivybridge
Which is all you can do. It happens a lot - all of the things she has described. I know so many people who have experienced similar issues. Feminism isn't just about legal issues. Social attitudes towards women and men are still absolutely ****.

Well, hard facts would be useful, but I suppose so. With things like this it does work both ways, I've been made to feel really awkward by drunk women. Why don't we all just say "Screw Inequality, just treat everyone normally", would make all our lives a billion times better than all this protest and debate crap!
Original post by IAmNero
Well, hard facts would be useful, but I suppose so. With things like this it does work both ways, I've been made to feel really awkward by drunk women. Why don't we all just say "Screw Inequality, just treat everyone normally", would make all our lives a billion times better than all this protest and debate crap!

I agree. The current feminist movement makes things very difficult but I don't think "feminism" is the problem.
Reply 23
I agree. The current feminist movement makes things very difficult but I don't think "feminism" is the problem.

Some Feminists are the issue I suppose
Original post by IAmNero
OMFG

What a ridiculous article! It was posted on my birthday, too :frown:
Original post by IAmNero
Some Feminists are the issue I suppose

Just as a lot of men are the problem too, really. The point is, condemning feminists does nothing because on a lot of things, the movement has a point and on others it doesn't.
Reply 26
What a ridiculous article! It was posted on my birthday, too :frown:

Just as a lot of men are the problem too, really. The point is, condemning feminists does nothing because on a lot of things, the movement has a point and on others it doesn't.

I quoted both your posts because they sort of link with each other. Things like this are why the feminist movement is branded as a joke. Oh well, such is life.
Original post by IAmNero
I quoted both your posts because they sort of link with each other. Things like this are why the feminist movement is branded as a joke. Oh well, such is life.

I think the point is it goes both ways. Men are as much to blame as the modern day feminist movement.
Reply 28
Honestly,
I think that feminism is a very relative term and can only be said or used in certain places. What you forget people, is that everyone has a different personality, and evidently a different attitude and opinion towards equality in women.

Some women do not believe in feminism or equality and that is their opinion. Some people do and that is completely fair and a respectable opinion.
What I hate is people trying to manipulate the term feminism in order for personal gain or in order to get attention.

'Given the fact that in my first month of living in Cologne I had 6 derogatory comments (at least) made towards me and was even grabbed, and invited back to a random mans house whilst sat on the tube minding my own business, I do not think its pointless. At all. We live in such a backwards society.'

I completely understand this and obviously I do see this as an immoral and wrong set of events. But, in all honesty, I suspect the '6 derogatory comments' were made by people who were single, or of a young age and don't know better. Also, obviously a stranger asking you back to his house is pretty wierd, but his personality probably reflected what he said.
Original post by IAmNero
All outta gold stars

you can have rep though

greatly appreciated, you have my full gratification
people are too quick to look for offence in things others say these days, offence is mostly taken not given in my experience
Reply 31
I think the point is it goes both ways. Men are as much to blame as the modern day feminist movement.

Wait. We have to be equal here; men, women, trans, non binary, intersex are all to blame.
Reply 32
Well, legally speaking, men and women are equal in the West. There are issues that disproportionately affect each gender, and there are still societal expectations based on gender. These should be addressed, but I do not think it makes sense to address them from a "feminist" perspective, as feminism has always operated under the assumption that women have lesser rights/opportunities to men. For a long time, it was true to an extent (although I would still challenge the rather naive and basic notion that up until recently women "had it worse"), now, the landscape is very different.
Original post by IAmNero
Wait. We have to be equal here; men, women, trans, non binary, intersex are all to blame.

And this is where I lose respect for you.
Reply 34

What, I was being equal. Unless you aren't really for equality?
Original post by IAmNero
What, I was being equal. Unless you aren't really for equality?

No, because you're being a sarccy ****.
Reply 36
Everyone should have equal rights, but that does not mean everyone are equal. I still open doors for women so they may walk first, but I have the right to decline such etiquette.

Similarly, as a man I would help a woman with a flat tyre, but it could be argued since it's equal rights it's equal problems too. That's where the difference comes in where I think aggressive feminist movements can get under a guy's skin.

For me, I was brought up in the sense that everyone has equal opportunity, but not everyone is equal. Men and women are inherently different and we should complement each other in society by harnessing our stronger genetic traits. I can change the tyre (any woman can too) but it's likely she will be better at consoling a young child or infant (that doesn't mean I can't do it either).

If any of that made sense anyway.
Reply 37

People being catcalled is a general harassment issue rather than a feminist issue specifically. I can't think of any actual feminist issues that exist in the west.
Original post by okey
People being catcalled is a general harassment issue rather than a feminist issue specifically. I can't think of any actual feminist issues that exist in the west.

Which is part of the feminist agenda... so no, that's not really true.
Reply 39
No, because you're being a sarccy ****.

I genuinely wasn't being sarcastic.

Quick Reply

Latest