The Student Room Group

"Feminism is useless in the first world"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ivybridge
Which is part of the feminist agenda... so no, that's not really true.

Harassment is a criminal issue, feminism promotes rights for women.

That's like saying if a woman is murdered it's a feminist issue- no it's a criminal issue.
Original post by okey
Harassment is a criminal issue, feminism promotes rights for women.

That's like saying if a woman is murdered it's a feminist issue- no it's a criminal issue.

No, feminism is the promotion of equality of the sexes. This is why people speak so critically - they don't understand what the damn thing even is!
Reply 42
No, feminism is the promotion of equality of the sexes. This is why people speak so critically - they don't understand what the damn thing even is!

Call it what you want, the point still stands.

by using force, right?
Original post by TrueDetective01
by using force, right?

No?

Original post by okey
Call it what you want, the point still stands.

No it doesn't because you don't understand what it even means as such, you can't validly criticise it.
Reply 45
No?

No it doesn't because you don't understand what it even means as such, you can't validly criticise it.

Maybe you should try responding to my argument rather than me as an individual.
Feminists need to be on the same page about what they're actually fighting for, if you're going against sexual harassment that's all well and good but I can't subscribe to your movement when simultaneously you've got feminists ranting about air conditioning, mansplaining, and my taste in literature:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/18/you-might-not-think-youre-a-sexist-until-you-take-a-look-at-your-bookshelf

Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Feminism

Is a thing.

Most sensible post in the thread, really.
No?

Really?
Original post by okey
Maybe you should try responding to my argument rather than me as an individual.

Oh don't go down the *******s 'ad hominem' route - I criticised your ability to criticise it because you don't understand it, based on your statement. As such, I am criticising your argument. It's rubbish - content?
Reply 49
Feminism is so broad, I don't even think Feminists even understand what the whole movement is anymore. Germanine Greer, the architect and pioneer behind the movement doesn't believe that trans-women should be identified as women, and therefore they are not feminists.May someone kindly explain to me why that is the case?
Original post by TrueDetective01
Really?

Really.
Original post by Dnkz7
Feminism is so broad, I don't even think Feminists even understand what the whole movement is anymore. Germanine Greer, the architect and pioneer behind the movement doesn't believe that trans-women should be identified as women, and therefore they are not feminists.May someone kindly explain to me why that is the case?

Greer is the current leader - she is by no means representative of all and she is not the architect; feminism existed before Greer was even born. Furthermore, Greer pioneered very necessary progressions but now, she is stuck in the past. She's an idiot, really.
Reply 52
Oh don't go down the *******s 'ad hominem' route - I criticised your ability to criticise it because you don't understand it, based on your statement. As such, I am criticising your argument. It's rubbish - content?

I'm sorry do you have a counter argument? Or anything of worth?

Calling my argument "rubbish" is hardly a response, maybe it is at GCSE idk.

By your logic I could say that you don't have the right to argue against me, because I don't think you understand me enough. But that wouldn't be entertaining debate, and you wouldn't learn anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Really.

Come on, think about it. I know you are a smart person. What do you think will happen If I don't pay taxes for a year or two?
Reply 54
Greer is the current leader - she is by no means representative of all and she is not the architect; feminism existed before Greer was even born. Furthermore, Greer pioneered very necessary progressions but now, she is stuck in the past. She's an idiot, really.

You are calling the 'leader' of the movement an idiot? I thought she made progressions to give women the equality that they need. Why call her an idiot, she has her own opinions right?
Original post by okey
I'm sorry do you have a counter argument? Or anything of worth?

By your logic I could say that you don't have the right to argue against me, because I don't think you understand me enough. But that wouldn't be entertaining debate, and you wouldn't learn anything.

What are you talking about? :lol:

You don't understand the feminist movement based on what you said, I do, based on what I said. It is what it is, not what you say it is.

Original post by Dnkz7
You are calling the 'leader' of the movement an idiot? I thought she made progressions to give women the equality that they need. Why call her an idiot, she has her own opinions right?

Because she does not stand for what the movement really needs or wants. She made progressions earlier in her career but now, she argues for things people don't want.
Reply 56

You don't understand the feminist movement based on what you said, I do, based on what I said. It is what it is, not what you say it is.

This is why there's no point in starting feminist threads anymore @IAmNero
Reply 57

Because she does not stand for what the movement really needs or wants. She made progressions earlier in her career but now, she argues for things people don't want.

Point being she doesn't have to argue on behalf of everyone, what you are saying goes back on everything you just argued. Why can't she have her own opinion at the end of the day and still be respected?
Reply 58
it does because there's a lot of backwardsness coming into the first world atm which includes a lot of sexism towards both sexes :h:
Reply 59
Original post by okey
This is why there's no point in starting feminist threads anymore @IAmNero

I know. Sad really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending