The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lawliettt
Think about it this way. It's a power source. 2 cables on either side of it. The other end of the cables connect to the heating system. How is it possible to make a parallel circuit from that set up?

You're probably right but my calculation still seems to match with people who used a series set up... Who knows
Original post by Einstein1997
I did 2sf (650) due to 230 being 2sf.

Couldn't 230V be 3 sf too? E.g. 230.323...V = 230V to 3 sf?
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Couldn't 230V be 3 sf too? E.g. 230.323...V = 230V to 3 sf?

It could be.

There shouldn't be a sf penalty on it anyway (only 1 mark is sf on each paper and it's mentioned on the question when it is)
Original post by MRuddyy
Personally I found that exam extremely easy and thrilling to read. I agree with most of the answers given in this post, however it must be said that some of the answers given here do not quite stand up to my par.
I was aiming to achieve 80UMS, but after sitting it I expect myself to get- at least- 98UMS. Question 6+7 were rather quite easy, and a lot of the people on this post seem to completely blow the questions out of proportion.

I'm praying to the Gods for you to all do well, however we all know that if you failed the exam then you yourself have no one to blame other than yourself- and no amount of attribution bias that is present will remove this fact.

At the end of the day I will be achieving an A*, whereas most of you commoners will, maybe, scrap a C overall.
See you all in the next post I grace you with my presence.

First of all, 98 UMS is only 2 UMS above an A grade, the paper is out of 120. 80 is a C grade. You were aiming for a C grade. Commoner.
I put 651V instead of 650V I agree with the rest.
230 * root2 * 2 = 650.5382...... which rounds up to 651V?

Ye that's what I thought. When you give your answer as 650, it's as if you rounded your answer from 230*root 2 during your working which is something we should avoid?

Original post by TajwarC
June 15 - Q7There's a cable that's made from other cables, each with their own resistance. When calculating the resistance of the entire cable, you had to assume they were in parallel
But I thought that was a different kind of question. It talks about a high-voltage transmission cable, most likely regarding power grid stuff.This one was just a simple circuit in series? It even said a wire on either side if I remember correctly.
Original post by CourtlyCanter

But I thought that was a different kind of question. It talks about a high-voltage transmission cable, most likely regarding power grid stuff.This one was just a simple circuit in series? It even said a wire on either side if I remember correctly.

I guess...I already assumed I got the question wrong anyway so it doesn't destroy my hopes of doing alright in this paper
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Ye that's what I thought. When you give your answer as 650, it's as if you rounded your answer from 230*root 2 during your working which is something we should avoid?

True but it depends if you're rounding to 2 or 3 sig fig.
Original post by Einstein1997
That's what I thought.

Yh man there was no circuit diagram and there must be a wire going to 0V...

I thought the resistance would increase if the voltage increased for diode...
V=IR V proportial to R... was a bit confused because in terms of the graph I guess this would not be true only if correct is constant will V is being increased.
Forget about question 6 for a minute, everyone got 89 electrons in question 1 right? And im hoping no one accidentally worked out specific charge for the question before it
phya1.pngThis is how I imagined the circuit to be with a 2 wires connected to either side of the resistor/cell.
Forget about question 6 for a minute, everyone got 89 electrons in question 1 right? And im hoping no one accidentally worked out specific charge for the question before it

Yes

Yeah it was 89. +4.8x10-19/1.6x10-19 = +3. Therefore there are 3 more protons than electrons therefore no of electrons = 92-3=89.
phya1.pngThis is how I imagined the circuit to be with a 2 wires connected to either side of the resistor/cell.

Yup that's it, the wires can also be modelled as two resistors to get your head around the question
Original post by TajwarC
First of all, 98 UMS is only 2 UMS above an A grade, the paper is out of 120. 80 is a C grade. You were aiming for a C grade. Commoner.

Good lad, I respect you for picking on my insecurities.
Ps. Physics is not a real science- Biology is the only real science in this life.
Ps. Ps. God created the world in 6 days and had one day to which he spent his time sipping on the sweet nectar of your mother.
Original post by Kmeister77
Yh man there was no circuit diagram and there must be a wire going to 0V...

I thought the resistance would increase if the voltage increased for diode...
V=IR V proportial to R... was a bit confused because in terms of the graph I guess this would not be true only if correct is constant will V is being increased.

But the graph was I against V. Not V against I like it usually is. And the curved upwards.

The gradient would be 1/R. So doesn't that mean as V increases, R decreases? Because the higher the gradient (aka the higher V), the higher the 1/R value. Which means the lower the R value?

Maybe I messed up lol
But the graph was I against V. Not V against I like it usually is. And the curved upwards.

The gradient would be 1/R. So doesn't that mean as V increases, R decreases? Because the higher the gradient (aka the higher V), the higher the 1/R value. Which means the lower the R value?

Maybe I messed up lol

That's what I thought

Preach.

Maybe I messed up lol

R decreases as V increases.

Maybe I messed up lol

I got the exact same I'm pretty sure it's right.
Which one of you commoners made a fake account with a similar name to mine, just to degrade my work and my confidence I have in myself.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let me keep my self-respect.I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Ps. I am still the best and you are all commoners.
Enjoy your, I presume, very respectable life and attempt to make something of yourself.
Ps. Ps. Physics is based off Biology

Quick Reply

Latest